PDA

View Full Version : Hand screw clamp storage?

Tony Wilkins
01-18-2024, 12:43 PM
How do you store/ organize wooden hand screw clamps? Haven’t figured out anything I’m in love with. Found some rocker clamp racks that I like. Put another style up today.’513987

Cameron Wood
01-18-2024, 1:16 PM
This hangs over the table saw/assembly outfeed table, backed up to a cross cut sled. The clamps do not have to be adjusted as long as they fit over the dowels.

Kevin Jenness
01-18-2024, 2:01 PM
Cameron's suggestion is good. I have quite a few bar clamps mounted on 1/2" rebar driven into a 2" thick wall cleat. My two handscrews are clamped to a shelf, and you could do the same with a fin mounted anywhere, but it does require adjusting the clamps for storage. My old employer has dozens stacked on a couple of small dollies with a 4' high vertical post through the handscrew centers.

Bruce Page
01-18-2024, 2:13 PM
An advantage to having a knee mill in the shop. I does make opening the garage door a PITA. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Harris
01-18-2024, 2:40 PM
I hang my F clamps on my garage door guide rails, on the back end, so they don't mess with the garage door when I open it. I hang my speed clamps, C clamps, spring clamps and handscrew clamps on the lip of the shelf that holds the radio. I just clamp them to it. I hang my parallel clamps against the wall, behind the F clamps, clamped to an L bracket.

I try to limit my number of clamps, as much as one can anyway. They can eat up a ton a money and room. And I don't have many handscrew clamps because they frankly aren't all that useful. There are a few instances where you NEED a handscrew clamp. But if I can get away with using a different style of clamp besides the hand screw (or C clamp for that matter), I will.

Tony Wilkins
01-18-2024, 2:41 PM
I find them incredibly useful.

Edward Weber
01-18-2024, 2:53 PM
I use this thing they call a 2x4, works great for all kinds of clamps

Jim Koepke
01-18-2024, 3:01 PM
I only have a few hand screw clamps, less than a dozen. They can be incredibly useful in many situations. Many of mine are clamped to the vertical rails of shelving. In this position they are used like an additional shelf for note pads, a hat or a place to hang my coat until they are needed.

A pair of my larger hand screw clamps hangs from a rack attached to the cross braces of my roof structure. The rack was there when we moved here.

jtk

George Yetka
01-18-2024, 3:47 PM

I have something like this on french cleats. I get 6 on without issue. they take up less room in this orientation

Tony Wilkins
01-18-2024, 4:10 PM

I have something like this on french cleats. I get 6 on without issue. they take up less room in this orientation
I have one like that. I use it for ones that don’t quite fit the specific type ones I have up. Tried the hand screws on it but no joy.

Cameron Wood
01-18-2024, 4:13 PM
Hand screws, the question was about hand screws.

jack duren
01-18-2024, 4:41 PM

Here is a picture……

Philip Glover
01-18-2024, 5:09 PM
This is how I hang the large hand screws.

PCG

glenn bradley
01-18-2024, 5:42 PM
I used to do this:

A piece of rope with a series of loops knotted into it.

Now I do this:

Plywood tongues sticking out from a cleat mounted fixture.

Bruce Page
01-18-2024, 6:43 PM

So true. So true. :rolleyes:
I have 2 hand screw clamps that were given to me. They have not seen much use.

jack duren
01-18-2024, 6:58 PM
I was looking to buy some HF 12”or Menards for a little depth and control. I wasn’t happy with the ones they had on the shelf so I made a bunch of 6” cam clamps..

Bob Jones 5443
01-19-2024, 3:57 AM
I have one hand screw and seldom use it. I keep it clamped to a wood-rack support.

For other clamps I made some hangers like George has. I got the idea from Lee Valley. Mine have a little lip at the front to discourage slipoffs.

Derek Kessler
01-19-2024, 6:36 AM
Just installed a wooden board on the wall, spaced it nicely, and used some DIY wooden blocks with drilled holes. The clamps hang by their handles, and it's surprisingly tidy and convenient.

Dave Fitzgerald
01-20-2024, 2:33 PM
Here's mine - cabinet under the drill press.
514126 514129

David Carroll
01-20-2024, 4:17 PM
I have 2 pairs of hand screws, little ones and big ones. I use them both frequently. I don't have a specific spot for them. They usually live clamped to the side of the Dutch tool chest that I never got around to making a lid for.

I am surprised about the number of folks that say they have them but rarely or never use them. I have a clear memory of my high school woodshop class teacher taking most of a class period going over the numerous ways to clamp things with them. I use them quite a bit to hold small pieces of wood that I need to do something with. The clamp itself can be clamped in a vise or with a hold-down, and one of the screws tightened and loosened to fix and then release small parts repeatedly. Over the years I have found more than a few "off book" uses. One current one is holding a lamp with a flexible neck that is designed to be mounted permanently to a vertical surface. I clamp the mounting bracket in the jaws of a hand screw and it both holds the lamp in the correct orientation and acts as a weighted base.

I wonder if the predominance of "squeezy-clamps" in recent decades have taken over many of the mundane uses for clamps, where once hand screws were used.

DC

jack duren
01-20-2024, 5:10 PM
There are a lot of options out these days, but hand screws are mainly for furniture. I needed many and went to Menards and HF and wasnt happy with what was on the shelf. I ended up making many Cam clamps, but find myself looking at them again and there better …

Cameron Wood
01-20-2024, 6:09 PM
I got a cheap one recently to hold boards on edge at the jobsite. It's performing poorly so far...

jack duren
01-20-2024, 6:38 PM
I got a cheap one recently to hold boards on edge at the jobsite. It's performing poorly so far...

The off brand?

Cameron Wood
01-20-2024, 6:39 PM
The off brand?

Harbor Freight.

jack duren
01-20-2024, 6:41 PM
I thought the threads ran a bit wobbly, but figured it needed breaking in

Menards had new ones and thought they were okay..

David Carroll
01-20-2024, 7:21 PM
Here's an example of how I use hand screws (this is likely how I use them the most). Sorry to hijack the thread. Clicking on the sideways picture shows it correctly...

I have the hand screw held in the tail vise (this wouldn't work with a wagon vise). I did this enough that I finally made the hand screw jaw in front about 1/32-inch thinner, so it would move in the tail vise freely, the rear jaw was left full thickness and is bound tightly in the tail vise. The work piece is butt up against the dog, but the dog is just acting like a planing stop. The workpiece is held fast in the hand screw.

What's nice about this method is that a quarter turn of the screw and the piece can be removed. Then dropped back into place, butt up against the dog, and a quarter turn of the screw and it's back in position, very accurately. Works well for jointing the edge of narrow workpieces.

This also works for face planing small pieces.

I am building a Gerstner-style tool chest for my carving tools, entirely by hand, but starting with some antique chestnut (well, I guess all chestnut is antique chestnut). The wood was part of an old set of shelves built by my Grandfather, so the story goes, but wound up in a damp cellar and my Sister was going to toss it. I salvaged what sound wood was left and it's just enough for the primary wood of the chest. I may actually post a build-along as I remembered to take pictures of some of the early processes. As they (well, Steve) says, stay tuned.

DC

Paul Saffold
01-21-2024, 10:42 AM
french cleets. used off cuts from stairs.

(I've given up on getting photos right side up. I've tried all the tricks listed in the help section. Apple phone and laptop).