PDA

View Full Version : What "veneer" do you think this is? (Cabinet panel / laminated veneers)

andrew whicker
01-17-2024, 5:50 PM
Hi

Maybe I'm having a brain dead moment, but I can't figure out what species this is or is close to.

Is it totally artificial?

Pine?

I keep thinking hickory, but the sample photo at the cabinet website shows a lot stronger variation / color dynamic.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-17-2024, 5:53 PM
It looks like Hickory, or Pecan.

Michael Burnside
01-17-2024, 5:54 PM
I'd guess something akin to Maple, but hard to tell.

Richard Coers
01-17-2024, 10:47 PM
Sycamore? Could also be imported, so maybe not domestic.

Mel Fulks
01-17-2024, 11:04 PM
“Could be anybody “ Those tan-beige colors are always incognito. I think they use them because “real wood”,of ANY KIND is cherished
on appliances , and people love TAN , Cuz nobody can say “that’s garish”. But I like bright colors…they boost Prozac.

Mel Fulks
01-18-2024, 12:29 AM
In the old movies it’s all “a cheap veneer!”

andrew whicker
01-18-2024, 12:50 PM
Well I got some hickory, rustic hickory and beech samples. They only have the standard domestic lumber veneers available (I'm using a CNC cabinet shop / flat pack). Customers want to "match" their other store, but of course no one knows what was what at this point. The stores are 45 minutes apart so I think as long as we get within a ballpark we should be fine.

The other solution is that I get the cabs flat packed in white laminate and do the flat sheets that turn into doors and customer facing walls on my own (ie buy whatever I want). She wants floating shelves to match, so I'd like to have the lower doors to be as domestic as possible.