PDA

View Full Version : YouTube crazies

jack duren
01-17-2024, 12:10 PM
I’m on dialysis from 6-6 and I’m either watching TV or I'm sleeping.I watched some of a video on a YouTube called. “5 beginning woodworking tools”.First he talked about tye expense of Bessey K-body clamps and it was a very expensive purchase versus pipe clamps and to get started it was cheaper to buy the pipe clamps..I can go along with that.

Now he went into belt sanders and suggested you never buy one and use a ROS, which is cheaper. So if you never use a belt sander and he was showing a cheap Craftsman belt sander for a $100+ dollars, you never learn to use one. So at this point I turned+it off and went onto high end woodworkers.

Now in 1983 I was given a belt sander and told to sand frames, no experience but learned quickly or I’d be looking for another job. I have several 4x24 belt sanders and have no problem.,

This is a basic woodworking tool you need to be able to use…

There are too many DIYers making no so useful videos putting incorrect knowledge in new woodworkers

okay, I said it....

☝️

Warren Lake
01-17-2024, 12:18 PM
ive used what I have from the start then every job added more. At first I only had a Rockwell 3 x 21 and it was my stroke sander. Bought used from a friend it works great to this day other than replace the switch with a heavy duty one. It did tons of work. Then had a Rockwell vibrator half sheet for after that

Then got an edge sander and then a stroke sander I had built for a company then bought a real one, then bought an italian one that put the canadian one to shame. Then a Natribom wide belt.

You can do lots with a hand belt sander. i sanded all my doors rails and style flush, Like any tool you develop a skill with it if you want to. I heard that some people used to hunt with spears even.

id never be without one. i refinished some really tough huge speakers and there was no way I could get them on the stroke sander cause of weight and size. The belt sander worked very well just slower.

jack duren
01-17-2024, 12:54 PM
A lot of these Hobby shops are starting out with a lot of cash flow. It’s unreal how much money they can be put into a hobby shop.

George Yetka
01-17-2024, 1:10 PM
Funny, I never had one and it just came up saturday that I could use one so Ive been researching them. I ended up borrowing a PC 3x21 for the time being.

jack duren
01-17-2024, 1:24 PM
The problem with the 3x21, is it dips more than the 4x24 if your not familiar with it..

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 1:42 PM
A lot of these Hobby shops are starting out with a lot of cash flow. It’s unreal how much money they can be put into a hobby shop.

I have to say, I always scratch my head when one of these nit-wits shows us his shop with 100k in tools, thousands of square feet of room and zero common sense.

I just read a similar article about the "5 must have saws", they didn't mention the circular saw. They did mention track saw but not the circular saw, you know, the first saw many of use ever used.
Apparently I could sell all my tools, buy an angle grinder, a domino and a tracksaw and I could build anything :rolleyes:

That's sarcasm, for those of you who require explanations

Warren Lake
01-17-2024, 2:14 PM
nah on the 3 x 21 its the operator.

I once watched an old guy knocking in nails with a no framing hammer and the blew anyone away especially me with my stiletto. I worked a bit with a carpenter once and you could blind fold him, hang him upside down and hed still knock the nail in faster and never miss a strike.

I found the balance in that sander and especially doing rails and styles where they meet it was better than larger. No cross grain scratches in the rail like a wide belt when you get it down. Ive used the stroke sander enough times for that you can do do 10 times the damage in a second so has to be set up as best as possible.

jack duren
01-17-2024, 2:22 PM
I started with a 4x24 and won’t go down. When I worked at Alco Cabinets, he gave me a 3x24 Bosch cause thought was going out. Might be as I have never used input almost 20 years later. When I taught guys in the shop , we used a 4x24 as it wouldn’t tip as easy.

Warren Lake
01-17-2024, 2:27 PM
how wide were your rail and styles 3 x 21 is already wider than rails and styles, extra width was no use to me. Same time that was the sander my friend was selling so it presented itself and that is what i used and got used to. At some jobs they had 4 x 24 Makitas which were fine. Still took my tools to work just prefer what im used to.

jack duren
01-17-2024, 2:34 PM
Railrs and stiles 3.5-1.25 Belts sanders are easy to me.. I can sand 5’+ tops all day.

Remember… As I changed shops over tye tpyears , I had to use what they provided . 3” or 4” . I didn’t care..

Bruce Page
01-17-2024, 3:30 PM
I have to admit that I never mastered the belt sander technique. I have a cheap Craftsman that only gets used for very crude work.

Mel Fulks
01-17-2024, 4:54 PM
Good info in this thread .
Learn to use 4 inch wide sander before trying 3 inch sander. Avoid breaking the belts , by putting them on in the right direction !
’cuz if you send back broken belts with a note about them “not lasting very long” …they will ask you to send a face photo . Then they
frame it and hang it on the wall , makes for a merry break room !, but does not help you get into stand -up comedy.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2024, 2:19 AM
I watched some of a video on a YouTube called. “5 beginning woodworking tools”.

There are dozens of these "tools to get started" type YouTube videos.

If any of them knew what their audience was doing they might garner a little credence. Each of these video presenters have their own background and their own favorite tools or ways to do a project. It's like the difference between making a book shelf that is nailed together compared to a bookshelf held together by joinery with decorative molding. The both hold books but they take different tools and methods of work.

As one who just crawled out of the Neander (thal) Cave, it probably sounds strange to those who have posted before me to say that it is rare for me to put sandpaper to wood. My ROS, don't recall using it in the last two or three years. My tiny belt sander gets used almost exclusively for metal working.

Of course the woodworking done in my shop is likely very different than what is done in everyone else's shop.

Instead of sandpaper, my wood is smoothed with planes & scrapers.

This piece came off of an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill. After getting enough area flat to bolt to a registration board it was then fed through my bandsaw.

That was fairly routine to bring it smooth and square with hand planes.

A little more work brought it into square.

What it comes down to is if it works for the individual, then the world will keep turning.

jtk

jack duren
01-18-2024, 6:59 AM
I went through a problem with my sanding belts. I would but several boxes of 10 when I had the shop. I had maybe three boxes when I went to work at the furniture company and didn’t work in my shop for seven years. When I stopped working at the furniture company, I started back in my shop and every sanding belt I had broke at the seam, even the edge sander belts. Seven years I guess was too long between new and old stock..

Warren Lake
01-18-2024, 8:40 AM
sad fact about those belts. Some blow up after a year some 3M think is three years. I have stroke sander belts 6 x 309 up to 30 years old some stored in a hot and cold attic. They are all fine and dont fail at the joint.

glenn bradley
01-18-2024, 9:15 AM
There are too many DIYers making no so useful videos putting incorrect knowledge in new woodworkers

True. The ones who give poor advice, annoy me. The ones who give dangerous advice or demonstrate operations in a dangerous way make me truly angry. You have a level of responsibility when you are conveying information regarding potentially dangerous activities.

jack duren
01-18-2024, 9:57 AM
Funny part is many of the makers of the woodworking videos don’t participate on the forums. I assume they get payed for the hits? There are a couple of woodworkers using woodworking forums to “pimp” their YouTube , yet don’t participate on anything else on the woodworking sites.

Hey I just created a new jig. Come to YouTube and tell me what you think.

Edward Weber
01-18-2024, 10:08 AM
True. The ones who give poor advice, annoy me. The ones who give dangerous advice or demonstrate operations in a dangerous way make me truly angry. You have a level of responsibility when you are conveying information regarding potentially dangerous activities.

That's the part that gets me the most.
also
You typically see tons of fawning comments under any of these videos because they don't know any better, makes me sick.

dave graves
01-20-2024, 11:25 PM
Reading through the replies in this thread it seems that if you are making rail and style doors you need a belt sander. I posit here that this is not what a typical starter would do in their shop. I would agree with the you tuber on this one - a ROS is more useful in more types of projects that newbies would venture into. I've had a belt snader in my shop for over 25 years, but would not recommend one to someone looking to buy their first tools.

Mark Hennebury
01-21-2024, 12:05 AM
4x24 Makita probably over 40 years old, done a ton of work, both wood and metal with it, fine woodwork , not a problem if you learn how to use it. I also use scotchbrite type belts on it. wouldn't be without it.

jack duren
01-21-2024, 9:18 AM
Reading through the replies in this thread it seems that if you are making rail and style doors you need a belt sander. I posit here that this is not what a typical starter would do in their shop. I would agree with the you tuber on this one - a ROS is more useful in more types of projects that newbies would venture into. I've had a belt snader in my shop for over 25 years, but would not recommend one to someone looking to buy their first tools.

The YouTuber is suggesting you never use a belt sander.

I can’t imagine doing face frames with a ROS without touching up with a belt sander..

Zachary Hoyt
01-21-2024, 10:02 AM
I've built some face frames, though not many, and never used a belt sander on them. I have one but only use it very occasionally, while the ROS gets used all the time. I do use a couple of stationary belt sanders very often, but the handheld one is something I have only used for things like sanding a floor, or other rough kinds of work.

jack duren
01-21-2024, 10:11 AM
I’ve done thousands of face frames. Back in the day there weren’t any wide belts and if you didn’t have one you had to sand. My first time to use a belt sander was to sand face frames in 1983 with a Craftsman belt sander. . I had to learn it or find the door home..

Monte Milanuk
01-21-2024, 10:29 AM
Do you spend as much time posting in the comment sections of said videos as you do complaining about them here on the forum?

Just curious.

Cameron Wood
01-21-2024, 2:36 PM
What's the deal with the almost exclusively positive comments to Youtube videos, even for the marginal ones?

I like Amazon reviews better- folks tell it like it is, even if that is that they cannot read instructions or product descriptions.

jack duren
01-21-2024, 2:53 PM
Rarely watch YouTube because of their lack of actual knowledge.

I guess the people who protect woodworking YouTube videos need them

Monte Milanuk
01-21-2024, 4:32 PM
Rarely watch YouTube because of their lack of actual knowledge.

Hard to believe that, given the amount of griping about them you've been doing lately.

jack duren
01-21-2024, 5:15 PM
Hard to believe that, given the amount of griping about them you've been doing lately.

If it bothers you , move on. You’re not required to reply. I’m not gripping about a lot of YouTube but some of amateur woodworkers trying to tell others what they need and don’t.

you say I’m griping, . You make two

Warren Lake
01-21-2024, 5:38 PM
why pick Jack out ive picked on more of them than him. Then schools as well, education system who should have their stuff together more than the movie stars.

Monte Milanuk
01-21-2024, 5:59 PM
Ah yes. Boomers united :rolleyes:

Edward Weber
01-21-2024, 6:30 PM
If it bothers you , move on. You’re not required to reply. I’m not gripping about a lot of YouTube but some of amateur woodworkers trying to tell others what they need and don’t.

you say I’m griping, . You make two

You try to help people by pointing out things like, there's no need to purchase over priced tools. You get, don't tell me what to do with my money.

People hear what they want to hear and their gut reaction is all too often to be defensive.
Trying to help people out by suggesting tools or methods that they could employ into their work in place of more expensive or elaborate ones usually falls flat on it's face.

Personally I don't need people with less experience to tell me I need this or that but those without knowledge or experience, tend to mimic from whom they learn from. This is how we end up where we are. If only you learn from YT or others that just jump on the latest thing out there, you're doing yourself a disservice and spending a lot of money.
Everyone needs, a track saw, everyone needs a domino, everyone needs red tools, everyone needs, an mft table, everyone needs K body clamps and on and on.

There is nothing wrong with any of the tools, and if you want them fine. In reality, very few actually need all of these tools for their projects. Though these tools and a long list of other premium and boutique tools, are so quickly recommended by others who are willing to spend your money.

Cameron Wood
01-21-2024, 8:05 PM
Ah yes. Boomers united :rolleyes:

That's Mister Boomer to you...:cool:

Edward Weber
01-21-2024, 8:22 PM
I know it's trendy to blame the boomer generation for everything but at what point does it stop.

Trying to point out where someone might be going astray, offering help from our years of knowledge/experience and somehow that just makes us all crabby old know-it-alls.

You'll have to explain that to me

Mark Hennebury
01-21-2024, 8:49 PM
We are crabby old know-it-all's, that is precisely what pisses off the think-they-know-it-all's.

Monte Milanuk
01-21-2024, 9:12 PM
Honestly, I generally *don't* mind it - that's what I come on forums like this for.

Just when one particular crabby ol' cuss, sitting at home with nothing to do (for admittedly legit reasons) has been on somewhat of a bitchy bender lately... it gets old, pardon the pun ;)

And when I point that out, *I'm* the a-hole. Go figure.

Steve Demuth
01-21-2024, 9:24 PM
Now he went into belt sanders and suggested you never buy one and use a ROS, which is cheaper. So if you never use a belt sander and he was showing a cheap Craftsman belt sander for a $100+ dollars, you never learn to use one. So at this point I turned+it off and went onto high end woodworkers.

Now in 1983 I was given a belt sander and told to sand frames, no experience but learned quickly or I’d be looking for another job. I have several 4x24 belt sanders and have no problem.,

This is a basic woodworking tool you need to be able to use…

For someone who does woodworking as a hobby, I'd agree with the youtuber that a belt sander isn't very high on the list of tools you need. Mine is probably the least used handheld power tool in my shop. I wouldn't consider using it on face frames because 1) as someone who does wood working for enjoyment, not to make a living, I don't build THAT many face frames, and 2) when I do it's only one or two per project, and it's way faster and easier to take out any mismatches on the coped corners with a plane and scraper, than to wrestle with a belt sander - unless it's really "chippy" wood, in which case the scraper alone and hand sanding works fine.

Point being, a belt sander is not a tool every woodworker, and certainly not every amateur woodworker needs to own or master.

jack duren
01-22-2024, 6:01 AM
For someone who does woodworking as a hobby, I'd agree with the youtuber that a belt sander isn't very high on the list of tools you need. Mine is probably the least used handheld power tool in my shop. I wouldn't consider using it on face frames because 1) as someone who does wood working for enjoyment, not to make a living, I don't build THAT many face frames, and 2) when I do it's only one or two per project, and it's way faster and easier to take out any mismatches on the coped corners with a plane and scraper, than to wrestle with a belt sander - unless it's really "chippy" wood, in which case the scraper alone and hand sanding works fine.

Point being, a belt sander is not a tool every woodworker, and certainly not every amateur woodworker needs to own or master.

You use a belt sander to flatten uneven surfaces. If you choose not to use one is totally up to you..

jack duren
01-22-2024, 6:05 AM
Seems the point is missed.

He is saying to not to ever buy or learn a belt sander.

If you don’t learn, you don’t benefit. If you don’t learn to clamp , you don’t benefit. If you don’t buy a sprayer , you can’t benefit. Etc…

I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money, the YouTuber is. Keep that in mind.

Steve Demuth
01-22-2024, 8:15 AM
I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money, the YouTuber is. Keep that in mind.

I think the point I, and probably some others as well, were reacting to is that you wrote "This is a basic woodworking tool you need to be able to use," which is pretty close to telling people how to spend their money. Had you said that you find a belt sander extremely useful, and a new woodworker might also, particularly if they plan to do a certain kind of projects, I would not have responded as I did.

My point being: most hobby woodworkers don't need a belt a sander, and certainly not in the first set of tools they buy for their shop.

jack duren
01-22-2024, 8:36 AM
Pretty close isn’t close enough. You could borrow one from a friend to learn and use.

Hobby woodworkers don’t need to buy anything.

seems like the defensive people are trying to read into this like a shrink. There is nothing here that isn’t being created.Quit analyzing my posts.

The YouTuber says don’t buy one. Go post your comment on his video..

I bought a Leigh dovetail jig from an individual who said they just didn’t get it. You can see where he ran the router too deep and routed a finger. I read the instructions and was doing dovetails in 2 hours. So if he goes to YouTube and tells everyone NOT to buy a Leigh dovetail jig, it’s the same thing..

Edward Weber
01-22-2024, 11:22 AM
I think the point I, and probably some others as well, were reacting to is that you wrote "This is a basic woodworking tool you need to be able to use," which is pretty close to telling people how to spend their money. Had you said that you find a belt sander extremely useful, and a new woodworker might also, particularly if they plan to do a certain kind of projects, I would not have responded as I did.

My point being: most hobby woodworkers don't need a belt a sander, and certainly not in the first set of tools they buy for their shop.

Accusing one person of telling people what they need, while at the same time, asserting that they don't?
How is your position different?

The YT content creators regularly assert buying one tool or another, this can be either passive or aggressive.
Many times, they, the CC's, don't have enough knowledge or experience to have a trusted opinion on the things they're pushing.
The problem lies in that many viewers of their videos don't know this, they trust the personality they see without much question and at times, unconsciously mimic them.
If they see someone using a Blue Spruce chisel, then they think they need a $100 chisel to make the same project.
If Lefty the three fingered woodworker says you don't need a belt sander, then they'll all be trashing belt sanders in short order.

Personally, I do consider a belt sander as a core handheld tool, you should have basic knowledge of it's use. I won't tell anyone to go buy one but you should be familiar with one and what it's common uses are.

jack duren
01-22-2024, 11:50 AM
The topic wasn’t meant to be personal, nor should anybody take a defensive position on it.

If it helps you great, if not …..

Pat Germain
01-26-2024, 9:35 AM
I think you made two very good points, Jack:

1. A belt sander is a very useful tool.

2. A lot of "woodworking" YouTubers are pretty clueless.

I watch too many YouTube videos. Like anything else, 90% are crap. But the other 10% can be really good. YouTube is all about metrics and algorithms. The videos that get the most views get promoted and, thus, get more views. So content creators focus on click-bait rather than sound advice from experience.

There's a young guy who has a channel called Lincoln Street Woodworks. I think he's another Jewish carpenter. :) His shop is small. He admits he is still learning and I like his deadpan, self depricating humor. Just an exampe of a young wookworker on YouTube whom I think gives good instruction and advice. He has some very popular segments where he brings in his older, next-door neighbor. They sometimes have competitions and, of course, almost everyone votes for the old guy. That old guy once demonstrated making a table in his back yard with handheld power tools and scrap lumber.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2024, 8:52 AM

Agreed Glenn, however promoting dangerous operations certainly isn’t unique to newer YouTube personalities, just read the forum consistently and you’ll find examples of a wide range of people from green newbie’s to grey haired professionals doing it.

Regards, Rod.

jack duren
01-31-2024, 11:05 AM
I was on there last night. Skip, skip, skiip, this one looks interesting, boring, skip, skip, skip… Too many “What you need for your shop” or Tools you should not buy”….The same people making as many videos as they can get, to get subscribers. Many aren’t active on forums other than to put up links to get more subscribers, but won’t get into a long discussion about their YouTube…

Warren Lake
01-31-2024, 1:48 PM
here is a stellar guy showing good jointer technique. My hope that no one ever sees this that didnt learn or have logic to get how wrong this in a number of ways

Here left hand fingers pointed down is why I would never do this, ive done this enough times left hand is turned sideways and the outside ball of my hand is holding the material down on the outfeed. His fingers are just presented for removal if anything goes wrong. Id have to see what I do on the machines likely hand dampened and I push more with heal of my hand just know id never point my fingers down like this

Likely Sam from SCM to me this shows how futile guards are at times. It sticks out it in the way. The board passed over the knives is safe, the board is the guard same as a pork chop guard in a way. Pushing with the right hand that way is set up to fail, as soon as he slips one time and it ends up in the cutter head. The chance I would work like this is less than zero.

Get the guard out of the way. run your material through and the push stick set it on the heal of the board, either pushing with it from the start or added at the end in the case of a longer board. Push stick sitting on top in the case of this length of board.

Mark Hennebury
01-31-2024, 3:55 PM
I wouldn't work like any of those.

I did some woodwork on the interior of a sailboat for a hand surgeon a long time ago, he told be that someone ran their hand over a jointer, like the guy in the first picture, and filleted all of the bones out.

Steve Demuth
01-31-2024, 4:42 PM
Why would anyone run a 3 X 4" piece of plywood over a jointer in the first place? There is no safe way to that, and if you've got something that size that isn't flat, the way to flatten is it with a disc or stationary belt sander, hand working it on sandpaper on a flat platen, or with a hand plane.

Agree on the second picture. Definitely not the way to use a jointer. Personally, I strongly prefer to use heavy duty push pads, particularly for any board narrower than 6".

Mel Fulks
01-31-2024, 4:50 PM
I think some people who don’t use machines are mesmerized by seeing the spinning
blades as they seem to be beckoning water. I watch for Nymphs ! Once saw a lovely
one walk right into the shop !

Lee Schierer
02-01-2024, 8:30 AM

All three of those photos have so much wrong going on that it would take an hour to write it all down.

Alex Zeller
02-02-2024, 6:30 AM
I was 20 something when I got a 3x21 Craftsman belt sander. I didn't use it that often but it was always there when needed. It didn't take long before I gouged my first piece of wood and learned what not to do. A few years ago something broke inside and the belt wouldn't track properly. Also the rubber on the drive roller was hard as a rock and the belts would slip. Nothing kills a belt quicker than it slipping and overheating. I decided that I rarely used it so I wasn't going to replace it. That lasted about 6 months. I ended up buy a Harbor Freight 4x24 one and it's worked out just fine for me. I guess if you've never used one then you don't know what you are missing. But once you have one and no longer do you will feel lost.

I made a curved top chest. I don't know how to do that without either using the CNC router or a belt sander to shape the top. A ROS would have taken forever. My first electric ROS (which i still have) is a Porter Cable one that looks like a 4 1/2" disc grinder with a dial on the rear to adjust the speed. It's big and heavy but, like a lot of good tools, has lasted for decades.

Derek Cohen
02-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Perhaps simplistic, but I see two schools on YT. The first is the one who has something to offer and wants to educate, expecting nothing in return. They are a small minority these days. I still go hunting for them, but am more likely to come up with the second group. These are would-be TV stars. It just happens that their stage is a woodshop. The set is all important, and either (or both) green and red are favourite decorative colours. What I find amazing is how many post the same topics, as though there is a fashion subject. catchy titles are the click bait. Very, very few present furniture. Generally, one joint will exhaust them.

I understand that a seasoned pro with hard-won skills and experience must look at this and feel outraged by the deception and theft of their professional name. As an amateur, having worked for 30 years, first with crappy tools until, eventually, these could be ungraded, and all the while building and building ... I feel resentment that they have not paid their dues. Of course, click bait has its pay off - tool sponsors.

The scientist in me is aghast at the lack of research. How else does one explain the lack of "obvious" knowledg, the poor technique and the apparently "newly devised methods". They do not know what they do not know.

But there are some nuggets in the rough, and this is why we return.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edward Weber
02-12-2024, 12:34 PM
Perhaps simplistic, but I see two schools on YT. The first is the one who has something to offer and wants to educate, expecting nothing in return. They are a small minority these days. I still go hunting for them, but am more likely to come up with the second group. These are would-be TV stars. It just happens that their stage is a woodshop. The set is all important, and either (or both) green and red are favourite decorative colours. What I find amazing is how many post the same topics, as though there is a fashion subject. catchy titles are the click bait. Very, very few present furniture. Generally, one joint will exhaust them.

I understand that a seasoned pro with hard-won skills and experience must look at this and feel outraged by the deception and theft of their professional name. As an amateur, having worked for 30 years, first with crappy tools until, eventually, these could be ungraded, and all the while building and building ... I feel resentment that they have not paid their dues. Of course, click bait has its pay off - tool sponsors.

The scientist in me is aghast at the lack of research. How else does one explain the lack of "obvious" knowledg, the poor technique and the apparently "newly devised methods". They do not know what they do not know.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very well said Derek, I agree 100%

Pat Germain
02-12-2024, 1:25 PM
"The Other Jewish Carpenter" on Lincoln Street Woodworks recently posted a video debunking some the advice common on YouTube. So, maybe there is hope for humanity.

Derek Cohen
02-12-2024, 6:31 PM
"The Other Jewish Carpenter" on Lincoln Street Woodworks recently posted a video debunking some the advice common on YouTube. So, maybe there is hope for humanity.

Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Doug Garson
02-12-2024, 7:31 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek
I think you have way oversimplified it. Yes there are some who are just offering to educate others without wanting anything in return. But that breaks down into some who really know what they are doing and know how to educate and entertain and have enough skill in videography to make entertaining and educational videos. Then there are those that are trying to make educational and entertaining videos, have the skills and knowledge in woodworking but no clue how to present it in an entertaining and clearly educational way. In every field there are people who are pure geniuses at doing what they do but couldn't teach anyone how to tie their shoelaces.
Then there are those who have no clue that what they are presenting is wrong and dangerous. Luckily many of them also have no clue how to entertain or produce a professional looking video so they get few views and thus are less dangerous but there are some who are entertaining and make professional looking videos with dangerous content and therefore are dangerous.
There are also some who are capable of making entertaining and sometimes educational videos and chose to make a living doing so. To me that is no different from someone who choses to make a living as a performer on TV such as an actor, athlete or news correspondent, or an author making their living selling books or magazine articles or even a teacher Yes they often use tricks like clickbait titles but that is more the fault of Youtube which uses algorithms to select what you see.

mike stenson
02-12-2024, 7:41 PM
What do you really expect for free?

Many seem to expect way more than they are paying for.

Pat Germain
02-12-2024, 8:26 PM
Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow, so sorry. I didn't mean it to be anti-Semitic at all. Rather, we all know there was Jewish carpenter who is very well known throughout the world. I'm just being silly by suggesting this other Jewish carpenter is also known throughout the world. (He really is Jewish and I really like him.) :)

Mel Fulks
02-12-2024, 8:46 PM
[QUOTE=Derek Cohen;3301012]Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

It’s good to be careful about what is posted , but there is nothing InSINdery about an allusion to a well known figure.

Derek Cohen
02-13-2024, 1:09 AM
Wow, so sorry. I didn't mean it to be anti-Semitic at all. Rather, we all know there was Jewish carpenter who is very well known throughout the world. I'm just being silly by suggesting this other Jewish carpenter is also known throughout the world. (He really is Jewish and I really like him.) :)

All good, Pat. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edward Weber
02-13-2024, 11:21 AM
I think you have way oversimplified it. Yes there are some who are just offering to educate others without wanting anything in return. But that breaks down into some who really know what they are doing and know how to educate and entertain and have enough skill in videography to make entertaining and educational videos. Then there are those that are trying to make educational and entertaining videos, have the skills and knowledge in woodworking but no clue how to present it in an entertaining and clearly educational way. In every field there are people who are pure geniuses at doing what they do but couldn't teach anyone how to tie their shoelaces.
Then there are those who have no clue that what they are presenting is wrong and dangerous. Luckily many of them also have no clue how to entertain or produce a professional looking video so they get few views and thus are less dangerous but there are some who are entertaining and make professional looking videos with dangerous content and therefore are dangerous.
There are also some who are capable of making entertaining and sometimes educational videos and chose to make a living doing so. To me that is no different from someone who choses to make a living as a performer on TV such as an actor, athlete or news correspondent, or an author making their living selling books or magazine articles or even a teacher Yes they often use tricks like clickbait titles but that is more the fault of Youtube which uses algorithms to select what you see.

Talk about over simplifying. The two main things you didn't even touch on in your post were time and money.
I'm with Mike on this, you get what you pay for.

Making any video, even bad ones takes time, a lot of time. it is a skill like anything else. Not everyone has the ability to dedicate that much time and effort into something, "without wanting anything in return" as you put it. For many, the shop space alone is a deal breaker. Not to mention the time and effort simply aren't there to make videos for free. There is little if any incentive.

For some, it is their job, their source of income, they put out "content" on a regular basis. What happens often, is that they get better at putting out videos, because they're having to devote more of their time to it but not better about providing quality content OF the videos, because the majority of time was taken up editing, trying to make, "entertaining and educational videos" as you put it.

How many times have you seen some CC say, "I rushed this a little"
Rushed it?, it's not live TV, no need to rush through things, unless of course you need to post your weekly video.

When videos I like, I'll subscribe to that persons channel.
When I see a video, like the guy trying to cut round things on the bandsaw or those posted earlier in this thread, I give them a thumbs down and eliminate them from my search.

"Yes they often use tricks like clickbait titles but that is more the fault of Youtube which uses algorithms to select what you see"
YouTube provides only options, I select what I watch.

Doug Garson
02-13-2024, 12:48 PM
YouTube provides only options, I select what I watch.
Yeah but you can't select options Youtube doesn't show you. What you see when you do a search depends on what the algorithm returns and content providers must tailor their thumbnails and titles to get clicks so their video will show up in more searches.
Isn't narrowing it down to "you get what you pay for" even more of a simplification?

Edward Weber
02-13-2024, 1:28 PM
Yeah but you can't select options Youtube doesn't show you. What you see when you do a search depends on what the algorithm returns and content providers must tailor their thumbnails and titles to get clicks so their video will show up in more searches.
Isn't narrowing it down to "you get what you pay for" even more of a simplification?

Getting what you pay for implies that that you're paying zero and getting zero useful content. Anything above zero is a bonus. As this applies to YT content, a very small percentage falls into the bonus category. In the photo, I click on don't recommend channel and I'll thankfully never have to see any more videos from this guy on my home screen. No apologies or excuses about the content creator or what his/her motivations are.
If I do a search, I'll have to endure some scrolling through the idiotic videos in search of valuable content. This is where you're paying with your time and sanity, you know this when you log on to the site.

You can actually go to sites and pay for professional, curated content by experts in their field, without having to scroll and filter through clickbait and idots.
I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to. YT's model of what's popular is the best, is just pure nonsense but it's how the CC's get paid, popularity.

Warren Lake
02-13-2024, 9:54 PM
how do search functions work. I can have a few words and find the exact you tube yet Cabinetmakers in other countries ive found hard to find. I tried to find a guy in Germany I had seen before and cant find him from different searches, dont have his name and he was on the side bar from some other european you tube past. Maybe the Swedish Ladder maker. I saw he had good older machinery so figured he would be worth the time and he was.

Can we search for you tubes in another country by typing in English or if we want cabinetmakers in Germany do we have to type in German in the search bar. maybe a stupid question but at times super easy to find any exact you tube then cant find this guy or some others i saw. Someone posted an Italian you tube not long ago and that was good as well.

Edward Weber
02-14-2024, 10:36 AM
There are more than a couple of ways.
You can go to google and do a translation of the word or phrase and copy/paste it into the YT search.
You can also easily change you default location and/or language in YT.