PDA

View Full Version : Method of work

Edward Weber
01-16-2024, 6:51 PM
How do you cross cut on a tablesaw?
I thought this was a no no, far too easy to pinch the piece between the fence and blade.
Any thoughts?

Derek Cohen
01-16-2024, 7:12 PM
Edward, YouTube and other video social media are filled with wannebes seeking fame. Talent and experience are not needed. 15 minutes of fame or click bait for revenue.

I watched in horror a "restoration" of a rare Stanley #51/52 shooting plane and board in which the new owner spray painted everything, including the chrome lever cap, and stained the handle. I conversed with him, and he admitted that he had not done any research. He was following the directions on another YouTube video, where the same methods were employed. His excuse was that he didn't know any differently. Neither did his audience, going by the raptuous comments.

If you are experienced enough to separate the good from the bad, then you are not the desired audience.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Burnside
01-16-2024, 7:33 PM
Not even SawStop tech is good enough to fix stupid.

I love YouTube, great content a lot of the times, but like other social media platforms, you need to be good enough to catch a fraud.

Edward Weber
01-16-2024, 7:48 PM
Thanks Derek and Michael,
Of course that was a bit rhetorical.
This was not some YT content creator, that's part of the problem.

I asked because this was part of a "plan" for a small project, from Woodworkers Journal. It was sent to me as part of their Ezine. and authored by WWJ staff.
https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/project-wine-cabinet/
I was quite surprised that this was an included photo, for many reasons.
I immediately emailed them about this, they're usually good about responding.

It's getting to where you can't even trust the trusted sources :rolleyes:

Nick Crivello
01-16-2024, 7:58 PM
All they had to do was clamp a board to the fence behind the blade and they would be fine for repeated cuts.

Lee Schierer
01-16-2024, 8:56 PM
I thought this was a no no, far too easy to pinch the piece between the fence and blade.
Any thoughts?

It is dangerous. If the board sticks on the fence at all there is a good chance of kick back right into his stomach or slightly lower....

I'm disappointed that Woodworkers Journal didn't catch that poor technique.

Derek Cohen
01-16-2024, 8:56 PM
Any thoughts?

More to this photo ..

It could be okay. He is guiding the main section along the fence with the support of his hands and mitre guide. It is likely not to pinch ... as long as the fence is parallel to the blade and the workpiece does not move. The waste will fall away to the left of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan Barber
01-16-2024, 9:02 PM
A very experienced table saw operator MIGHT get away with this operation, but it's not the thing to be showing the typical begging woodworker which would be Woodworkers Journal prime audience. That left hand is undesirably close to the blade. I just don't like that method when there are better and safer ways to do it.

Doug Garson
01-16-2024, 11:01 PM
WOW, who ever was responsible for that photo being included in the article should be looking for a new job, perhaps in a gardening or cooking magazine. Wait, on second thought there are sharp tools used in both of those fields. Seems to me every table saw safety video or article usually starts with don't use the miter gage and fence at the same time. It would have been so easy to show a spacer block before the blade, why be so negligent not to include it? Since it is a Sawstop maybe the lack of a blade guard could be ignored but not everyone has a Sawstop so showing the cut without one is another strike against them.

Mike Cutler
01-16-2024, 11:04 PM
That's not the way I was taught a zillion years ago. I'll leave it at that.
I have a slider on my tablesaw for crosscuts. I don't even like Miter gauges.

Justin Rapp
01-16-2024, 11:09 PM
A better means would be to use a miter saw for this :) However this could be done this way, posting it where a new woodworker might try to follow and make a mistake is a disaster waiting to happen.

al ladd
01-16-2024, 11:14 PM
A very experienced table saw operator MIGHT get away with this operation, but it's not the thing to be showing the typical begging woodworker which would be Woodworkers Journal prime audience. That left hand is undesirably close to the blade. I just don't like that method when there are better and safer ways to do it.

I agree. My first year woodworking, I visited a large cabinet shop and saw a guy making a cut this way. I remarked to the company owner about it, and he said something like "that guy has been working here for over 20 years, and he can do anything he wants because he understands the tools". What's especially dangerous is when someone does something like this with no understanding of what can go wrong.

With the technique shown, it would be considerably safer if the miter gauge fence went to within a smidgeon of the rip fence. Then, with a decent miter gauge, the kickback chance would be negligible. Of course block clamped to the fence before the blade is the preferred technique, and a stop block on the miter gauge fence the best.

Doug Garson
01-16-2024, 11:19 PM
It would be safer to make that cut using a radial arm saw than the technique shown. I'll duck and cover now while the "radial arm saw is the most dangerous tool on the planet" crowd chimes in. :cool:

Bob Jones 5443
01-17-2024, 1:19 AM
Not a chance of my ever doing this. I don’t own a radial arm saw, so I do all my crosscuts on the table saw. I plop my crosscut sled on the saw, and if I want repeated length precision, I clamp a scrap to the front (near) end of the rip fence. Or a stop block onto the sled itself for shorter pieces. I can’t remember the last time I used the Delta miter gauge that came with my Unisaw. I found it hanging on a French cleat backing board a few weeks ago; I’d forgotten it was there.

I keep my saw table waxed and slippery, but I still prefer to take table friction out of the crosscut equation. I’d much rather have the work riding on a sled than pushing it over a table. Then, the only forces on the work come from the blade itself, not from (even a small) drag on the table. Crosscut? Crosscut sled.

But the bonehead move in question is the risk of turning the work due to a completely unnecessary friction source: the rip fence. As some of us seem to agree, it’s entirely avoidable.

Clever me: I only needed to run my left middle finger into a spinning blade once before I got wise. 2002. Turned out better than it sounds, but there’s still a vestige of the damage. Now I take pride in questioning the safety of every cut before proceeding, no matter the tool. I have that luxury because I’m a hobbyist, but I suspect I’d do that even if I was trying to feed myself with woodworking. In that case, however, I’d starve.

One more thought: I’m glad I’m not learning how to use my power tools in the age of YouTube. In my day, I had a handy little book called, aptly, Methods of Work, by Taunton Press. Those folks knew what they were doing.

Derek Kessler
01-17-2024, 5:46 AM
Oof that's dangerous. Whoever approved that photo needs a safety lesson themselves. Basic table saw guidelines seem to have been thrown out the window.

Brian Runau
01-17-2024, 6:51 AM
Sawstop with a crappy fence? At a minimum you would use a stop block to locate the piece prior to engaging the blade, so the wood is not in contact with the fence during the cut. Brian

George Yetka
01-17-2024, 7:59 AM
Sawstop with a crappy fence? At a minimum you would use a stop block to locate the piece prior to engaging the blade, so the wood is not in contact with the fence during the cut. Brian

Agree with this. He may have been safer with a hand on either side of blade holding piece to crosscut fence. But I like the stopblock and a single runner crosscut fence on left side of blade assuming piece is long enough for that

John Kananis
01-17-2024, 8:21 AM
One more thought: I’m glad I’m not learning how to use my power tools in the age of YouTube.

This right here.

Jimmy Harris
01-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Stuff like this is all over the internet. And it's not limited to woodworking. Let's face it, the people who actually know what they're doing aren't wasting their time making YT videos, but are actually out there doing those things. Most people making videos like this are trying to make a living making videos. And they'll jump from subject to subject, never really developing an expertise in any of them, until they find a subject that's profitable.

I can see a very near future where lawyers run adds asking if you were hurt mimicking a YouTube video...

Bryan Hall
01-17-2024, 10:20 AM
I've been using a slider for a while now but before I had it I preferred a cabinet table with a euro style fence for this exact reason.

jack duren
01-17-2024, 10:21 AM
I couldn’t do it unless there was atleast 70-80% supported by the jig…

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I really only posted this because it was from a WWJ article, not some nut on YT.

I realize that sometimes things slip through the cracks but more to my surprise was that anyone who is working for a woodworking publication was cross cutting like this. Sure, the cut can be made this way, but why would you want to risk injury and/or damage when there are numerous other ways to accomplish the same thing.
I'll let you know if/when they reply to my email.

Here is what I sent;

Dear WWJ,

In your latest Ezine, there is a Wine Cabinet project.

In the write up, there is a photo of a WWJ staff member cross cutting some stock to length. The method he is using is, cutting the piece between the fence and the blade. This is fine for ripping but when cross cutting, it is too easy for the piece of stock to pinch between the blade and fence. This has the potential to be very dangerous, as a result, this menthod is not reccommended due to safety concerns.

I find it quite strange that your publication would post this method of cross cutting wood. This is not something you should want others to emulate.

Edward Weber

Doug Garson
01-17-2024, 1:08 PM
I see a lot of posts saying there are no good woodworking videos out there. I strongly disagree, there are many excellent videos out there by guys like William Ing, Jonathan Katz Moses, James Hamilton (Stumpy Nubs), Mark Spagnolo (The Wood Whisperer), Allan Little (Ask Woodman), Eric Curtis (ENCurtis) and many more. Yes there are complete boneheads out there showing dangerous methods and it must be very challenging for a new woodworker to determine who to believe and who to avoid. Of course the same is true for Youtube videos in general. While there are hundreds of good content providers out there providing accurate facts with meaningful analysis, there are also many nut jobs on every topic, including ones we can't discuss here. Easy access to information can be both a blessing and a curse. Reminds me of the ancient Chinese blessing/curse "May you live in interesting times." Maybe the modern day blessing/curse could be "May you have endless access to Youtube content." :cool:

Michael Burnside
01-17-2024, 1:11 PM
I don't think anyone said there aren't any good ones out there. Some of the ones you mention are pretty good. That said, there are also a lot where the person in the video is better at creating content than actual woodworking.

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 3:47 PM
I don't think anyone said there aren't any good ones out there. Some of the ones you mention are pretty good. That said, there are also a lot where the person in the video is better at creating content than actual woodworking.

Like some of the ones he mentioned

It's all a matter of perspective.
I hear people say, "watch this, it's amazing" only to find out it's just a rehashing of something decades old that they've never seen before. or a method they're not aware of.
People are drawn to videos either because of content or personalities, too many think they're interchangeable and end up watching the personality at the expenses of the content.

The original topic is simply about a major publication posting a potentially dangerous method of work in an article, not the content creators on YT.
I contacted them so they could address the issue to their readers and/or take it down.

Thread drift is one thing but c'mon

Michael Burnside
01-17-2024, 4:34 PM
To be fair, your first post didn't even mention the publication. Therefore, IMHO, it is perfectly acceptable to discuss other sources of misinformation. Apologies if you feel I or others digressed from the original thread intent. You may want to edit your original post to get the response amenable to you .

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 4:39 PM
To be fair, your first post didn't even mention the publication. Therefore, IMHO, it is perfectly acceptable to discuss other sources of misinformation. Apologies if you feel I or others digressed from the original thread intent.

After the first two responses, both you and Derek mentioned YT, I never said where the photo was from. You must be conditioned to automatically think YT when you see something like this.
I had to then reply/clarify (post#4) and tell you where the photo was from.

If people just want to chime in without reading everything, that's fine but you miss the original point.

Doug Garson
01-17-2024, 5:36 PM
I really only posted this because it was from a WWJ article, not some nut on YT.

I realize that sometimes things slip through the cracks but more to my surprise was that anyone who is working for a woodworking publication was cross cutting like this. Sure, the cut can be made this way, but why would you want to risk injury and/or damage when there are numerous other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Here is what I sent;

Dear WWJ,

In the write up, there is a photo of a WWJ staff member cross cutting some stock to length. The method he is using is, cutting the piece between the fence and the blade. This is fine for ripping but when cross cutting, it is too easy for the piece of stock to pinch between the blade and fence. This has the potential to be very dangerous, as a result, this menthod is not reccommended due to safety concerns.

I find it quite strange that your publication would post this method of cross cutting wood. This is not something you should want others to emulate.

Edward Weber

Good letter, it will be interesting to see their response. Gotta assume they will be aware of this thread as I imagine they monitor woodworking forums as part of keeping up with current trends with their potential reader base.

Derek Cohen
01-17-2024, 8:07 PM
After the first two responses, both you and Derek mentioned YT, I never said where the photo was from. You must be conditioned to automatically think YT when you see something like this.
I had to then reply/clarify (post#4) and tell you where the photo was from.

If people just want to chime in without reading everything, that's fine but you miss the original point.

Edward, I mentioned YouTube because there are so many similar examples there. YT has become synonymous for us with the overdone and "look at me" content. There is some absolutely wonderful videos there, made by knowledgeable craftsmen, but they are all to few against the backdrop of those who do not know what they do not know.

I do apologise for my reference earlier to YT, however, as that photo just pushed my button. It really irks me that there are so many YT videos with outrageous titles as click bait. "Amazing!", "Unbelievable" ... it goes on and on. Even one of good guys, Thomas Johnson (who does restorationsof furniture) has been doing this. I asked him why, and he replied that he dislikes it as well, but this is the new normal on YT to get the attention of viewers.

I also react to those who present "original" information that is just rehashed. There are constant copy cats. My background training is scientist-research and we are taught to give credit to those whose shoulders we walk on. I attempt to do this in my posts. Consequently, the constant plaigurism adds to the fraudulence.

My apology again for going off on a tangent, but this was my reaction when I saw the photo.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 8:45 PM
Edward, I mentioned YouTube because there are so many similar examples there. YT has become synonymous for us with the overdone and "look at me" content. There is some absolutely wonderful videos there, made by knowledgeable craftsmen, but they are all to few against the backdrop of those who do not know what they do not know.

I do apologise for my reference earlier to YT, however, as that photo just pushed my button. It really irks me that there are so many YT videos with outrageous titles as click bait. "Amazing!", "Unbelievable" ... it goes on and on. Even one of good guys, Thomas Johnson (who does restorationsof furniture) has been doing this. I asked him why, and he replied that he dislikes it as well, but this is the new normal on YT to get the attention of viewers.

I also react to those who present "original" information that is just rehashed. There are constant copy cats. My background training is scientist-research and we are taught to give credit to those whose shoulders we walk on. I attempt to do this in my posts. Consequently, the constant plaigurism adds to the fraudulence.

My apology again for going off on a tangent, but this was my reaction when I saw the photo.

Regards from Perth

Derek

No problems here, we're on the same page.
I was just pointing out that, this is where we find ourselves these days. Someone doing something ill advised, must have been on YT.

This is partially what makes it even worse. A publication like WWJ being compared to YT videos for one poorly chosen photo. Why the person in the photo is cutting that way is almost a separate issue. You can do what you want in the solitude of your own shop, but when you put it out on the internet for public consumption, this is what you get.

And to those who like to say things like "there's plenty of good content on YT".
I say true but with some caveats.
You need to know how to distinguish good from bad, safe from unsafe. A novice is often ill equipped to understand what he/she is viewing until it's too late. Even experienced woodworkers often make excuses for content creators they follow or watch, as I've witnessed in some recent threads.
Wading through YT without a clue or a chaperone can result in bad habits that are hard to break.
For me, it breaks down to about 85% garbage and 15% I can watch and enjoy/learn from/

mike stenson
01-17-2024, 8:49 PM
Free content is worth what it costs. Really something that needs to be considered IMO. People love to complain about content. I'd really hate to be a content (video, book, magazine, etc) creator these days. People expect it to be free, but they also expect it to be perfectly aligned with their existing beliefs. That's got to be miserable.

Alan Rutherford
01-17-2024, 9:01 PM
I have a photo of the last inch of a neighbor's thumb which he severed cross-cutting a piece of wood against the fence.

Edwin Santos
01-17-2024, 10:15 PM

Here is what I sent;

Dear WWJ,

Edward Weber

Thank you for notifying them. Based on your note, I hope they publish a correction or take the content down. If they do, then you may have saved someone from a mishap if they tried to emulate the dangerous procedure.

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 11:47 PM
Thank you for notifying them. Based on your note, I hope they publish a correction or take the content down. If they do, then you may have saved someone from a mishap if they tried to emulate the dangerous procedure.

That's pretty much the whole point of it.
I know better than to do that but some novice woodworker might not.

Edward Weber
01-17-2024, 11:50 PM
Free content is worth what it costs. Really something that needs to be considered IMO. People love to complain about content. I'd really hate to be a content (video, book, magazine, etc) creator these days. People expect it to be free, but they also expect it to be perfectly aligned with their existing beliefs. That's got to be miserable.

Couldn't agree more
There are no such things as objective facts any longer.

Jack Frederick
01-18-2024, 12:14 AM
All I can say is that if you do this and it goes sideways, and you have all your fingers, you won’t do it again. You also won’t have a window right behind your saw.

Doug Garson
01-18-2024, 12:33 AM
All I can say is that if you do this and it goes sideways, and you have all your fingers, you won’t do it again. You also won’t have a window right behind your saw.
But if you lose a couple fingers you'll do it again?? :confused:

Patty Hann
01-18-2024, 12:55 AM
Couldn't agree more
There are no such things as objective facts any longer.

Questioner: Tell me....does 2 + 2 = 4?
University person: Depends on the context.

Michael Burnside
01-18-2024, 1:55 AM
Questioner: Tell me....does 2 + 2 = 4?
University person: Depends on the context.

University and math minor person here. In the standard axiomatic definition of natural numbers, 2 is two successors of 0 and 4 is four successors and categorically 2+2=4 fact! :D

Maybe the author of the article in question would say 2+2=5 for very large numbers of 2 :confused:

Patty Hann
01-18-2024, 2:19 AM
University and math minor person here. In the standard axiomatic definition of natural numbers, 2 is two successors of 0 and 4 is four successors and categorically 2+2=4 fact! :D

Maybe the author of the article in question would say 2+2=5 for very large numbers of 2 :confused:

Or maybe they meant 2i + 2i ....

Warren Lake
01-18-2024, 10:59 AM
enough of us could make that cut all day long with no issues. I get there should be a block there and reasons why. If you want to complain dont forget to complain he has no extension table so like so many you tubes he will be reaching over the saw blade to grab the piece so it doesnt fall on the floor.

Just another dolt showing stuff he doesnt know. Past in europe and maybe still you dont have shop and sell if you dont have your papers. Here its that way for electricians and plumbers and other trades but not cabinetmaking. Cant leave much up to gov. They should smarten up here, if nothing else it would cut down on the number of 40k live edge tables.

Mark Hennebury
01-18-2024, 11:41 AM
Every operation is dangerous. They all have a degree of danger, some higher some lower, but all dangerous at some level. The concept of "safe" is in itself dangerous. If you are working in the shop, there is always the potential of getting injured. The knowledge, skill and focus of the operator offsets the level of danger, resulting in a relative probability of success or failure. A person with less skill, knowledge and focus has a higher probability of failure then a person of higher level of skill, knowledge and focus. But there is always danger. I feel a lot safer working with someone with experience and knowledge that took bigger risks any day over someone that doesn't know what they are doing using all of the "safety gear" , they scare me.

Those that don't know what they are doing they are better to own a Sawstop as they will be sticking their fingers in it on a regular basis. So I think that the photo is quite appropriate.

mike stenson
01-18-2024, 11:55 AM
Or maybe they meant 2i + 2i ....

a ≡ b (mod x)

Doug Garson
01-18-2024, 12:48 PM
Every operation is dangerous. They all have a degree of danger, some higher some lower, but all dangerous at some level. The concept of "safe" is in itself dangerous. If you are working in the shop, there is always the potential of getting injured. The knowledge, skill and focus of the operator offsets the level of danger, resulting in a relative probability of success or failure. A person with less skill, knowledge and focus has a higher probability of failure then a person of higher level of skill, knowledge and focus. But there is always danger. I feel a lot safer working with someone with experience and knowledge that took bigger risks any day over someone that doesn't know what they are doing using all of the "safety gear" , they scare me.

Those that don't know what they are doing they are better to own a Sawstop as they will be sticking their fingers in it on a regular basis. So I think that the photo is quite appropriate.

What you say in the first paragraph is true, but of all the cuts you can make in a woodworking shop, I think crosscutting a piece the size shown in the photo, is probably the easiest to do safely if the basic rules are followed. The Sawstop won't protect him from a kickback and his body position is another basic rule he is breaking. Those that don't know what they are doing would be better off learning the correct safety procedures rather than relying on a saw that only reduces part of the danger (contact with spinning blade). For a woodworking magazine to publish the photo posted as part of a how to article is mind boggling, not at all appropriate.

Mark Hennebury
01-18-2024, 2:28 PM
I have done a lot of operations with various degrees of danger, Some woodworkers would find the way I work quite okay, others would want me put in jail. It depends on their point of view. I never had a blade guard on a table saw or a jointer, 18" saw blade 5-1/2" of blade above the table, 7.5hp motor, 24" jointer, jointed tens of thousands of bf lumber mostly using my hands, even jointed /Micro honed the blades with the machine running. I understand the risks, and my skills and make decisions on how to do an operation based on how many I have to do vs setup time, the probability of success, and where my fingers would be in case of failure. They are my rules. I don't have set rules like never get your fingers within 4", 6" 12" to a blade etc... or always use pushsticks etc. I don't have many blanket rules, I work on a case by case evaluation.
There are certain things that I do by instinct, safety glasses, dust masks, earplugs, roll up sleeves, , analyze the procedure plan the operation, mental run-through of the operation, commit to task and have the focus, control and discipline to see it through.

I personally would not do what that guy did in the photo. The fence has no advantage but increases the danger level considerably. My conclusion is the guy doesn't know what he is doing and will get hurt.

But it is no point me telling you how to do woodwork, because most woodworkers will say that I am dangerous and have a reckless disregard for safety, in their opinion.... couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

Most of what I see done in magazines and Youtube I disagree with, most of the Youtube Gurus, including the ones mentioned have had accidents on tables saws and jointers, even though they have all of safety guards, grippers and pushsticks.
Lots of people make excuses and say anyone can have an accident, which of course is true, but most accidents are caused by the person, are predictable and preventable. Most accidents that I have seen were not due to the operation being "too dangerous" just that the operator did not possess the level of ability to do it.

Personal Safety is personal, I work within my comfort zone. If i feel that I have better control feeding the wood by hand, then that is what I do. If i feel that i need a pushstick, then that is what I use. You have to evaluate each job.

What you say in the first paragraph is true, but of all the cuts you can make in a woodworking shop, I think crosscutting a piece the size shown in the photo, is probably the easiest to do safely if the basic rules are followed. The Sawstop won't protect him from a kickback and his body position is another basic rule he is breaking. Those that don't know what they are doing would be better off learning the correct safety procedures rather than relying on a saw that only reduces part of the danger (contact with spinning blade). For a woodworking magazine to publish the photo posted as part of a how to article is mind boggling, not at all appropriate.

Edward Weber
01-18-2024, 2:46 PM
Let's take crosscutting on a TS.
If we taught people why we do it the way we do, not just tell them how, there would be less problems.

Why would I move the fence? it has a rule on it, I set it to 6" long, that's what I need. Now let me get my miter gauge...
Without knowing about the potential dangers we get what's in the original photo.

And again, I have no idea who is in the photo, it could be someone from WWJ (I doubt) or a contributor. It could be that someone in graphics simply used the photo, not knowing.
I prefer not to guess

mike stenson
01-18-2024, 3:27 PM
Let's take crosscutting on a TS.
Why would I move the fence? it has a rule on it, I set it to 6" long, that's what I need. Now let me get my miter gauge...

This is why European style fences are so nice to use ;)

Doug Garson
01-18-2024, 3:43 PM
I wonder if this is just a coincidence or if he is monitoring this thread? Just got a link to this page in my email today. https://kmtools.com/blogs/news/quick-tip-table-saw-fence-stop-block?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=Quick%20Tip%201%2F17%2F2024%20B&utm_id=01HM74V2AKCG94NGJ24Q8MR78Y&_kx=mY8i3wHy7YwOfiz1U1YRz2xwnMXuQfcqVjXjPUaiffc%3D .TY7F5N

Doug Garson
01-18-2024, 3:48 PM
I have done a lot of operations with various degrees of danger, Some woodworkers would find the way I work quite okay, others would want me put in jail. It depends on their point of view. I never had a blade guard on a table saw or a jointer, 18" saw blade 5-1/2" of blade above the table, 7.5hp motor, 24" jointer, jointed tens of thousands of bf lumber mostly using my hands, even jointed /Micro honed the blades with the machine running. I understand the risks, and my skills and make decisions on how to do an operation based on how many I have to do vs setup time, the probability of success, and where my fingers would be in case of failure. They are my rules. I don't have set rules like never get your fingers within 4", 6" 12" to a blade etc... or always use pushsticks etc. I don't have many blanket rules, I work on a case by case evaluation.
There are certain things that I do by instinct, safety glasses, dust masks, earplugs, roll up sleeves, , analyze the procedure plan the operation, mental run-through of the operation, commit to task and have the focus, control and discipline to see it through.

I personally would not do what that guy did in the photo. The fence has no advantage but increases the danger level considerably. My conclusion is the guy doesn't know what he is doing and will get hurt.

But it is no point me telling you how to do woodwork, because most woodworkers will say that I am dangerous and have a reckless disregard for safety, in their opinion.... couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

Most of what I see done in magazines and Youtube I disagree with, most of the Youtube Gurus, including the ones mentioned have had accidents on tables saws and jointers, even though they have all of safety guards, grippers and pushsticks.
Lots of people make excuses and say anyone can have an accident, which of course is true, but most accidents are caused by the person, are predictable and preventable. Most accidents that I have seen were not due to the operation being "too dangerous" just that the operator did not possess the level of ability to do it.

Personal Safety is personal, I work within my comfort zone. If i feel that I have better control feeding the wood by hand, then that is what I do. If i feel that i need a pushstick, then that is what I use. You have to evaluate each job.
Don't disagree with anything you just said.

Michael Burnside
01-18-2024, 3:52 PM
This is why European style fences are so nice to use ;)

Meh, my SawStop Biesemeyer that I swapped with an aluminum extrusion can be "European" if I want, but its easier to just measure with the fence, move it out of the way and place a Magswitch 165 abutted to the measured stock and cut away.

mike stenson
01-18-2024, 4:13 PM
Meh, my SawStop Biesemeyer that I swapped with an aluminum extrusion can be "European" if I want, but its easier to just measure with the fence, move it out of the way and place a Magswitch 165 abutted to the measured stock and cut away.

but, but.. then you gotta measure

(flipping the fence face down is more useful)

Marc Rochkind
01-18-2024, 6:35 PM
When I have to make repetitive cuts, I sometimes put a block against the fence (maybe 4 - 5 inches long), and measure from there. Then I clamp the block to the end of the fence, well in front of the blade. I put the work against the bock, and also against the miter gauge. As I move the miter gauge forward, the work clears the block.

Unlike in the photo, this is completely safe. But, what is happening in the photo is very wrong. The fence adds nothing but hazard.

Derek Cohen
01-19-2024, 8:53 AM
I am just puzzled why the fence was there at all. It did not offer any assistance as the workpiece was directed by the mitre guide.

The whole thing looked like a hastily-rigged publicity photo, taken without much thought.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edwin Santos
01-20-2024, 1:25 PM
I am just puzzled why the fence was there at all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My guess is he was using the fence and the fence scale as a way of quickly measuring his cut dimension.

I was taught the safer way to do this is to keep a 1" reference block of wood sitting on top of the fence or in some other nearby location, set your fence location 1" further than you need with the block in place. Set workpiece, remove block, make cut. The 1" of space you've allowed prevents any binding.

Personally I prefer a sled with a stop block. But I do dream of a sliding table one day.

Warren Lake
01-20-2024, 2:29 PM
On a sled and cutting solid you dont have to spin the work to cut to length. On the generals I had a excalibur each side to get around that. Cross cut square left then slide to the right one and cut to length. Now with the SCM slider im back to spinning the work again. Perfect world id have a slider with a sliding table on each side of the blade. The concept worked great just those were first generation and not the best.