PDA

View Full Version : New shop - Heard of this?

Rob Bodenschatz
02-05-2006, 3:53 PM
Hopefully this isn't too far off topic but I'm looking to build a new shop & I came across it the other day:

http://www.socketsystems.com/

Has anyone ever heard of it? I have a call in to them so hopefully I'll get more info early next week.

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 4:37 PM
Looks interesting if it's code-compliant with your local folks.

Barry O'Mahony
02-05-2006, 4:55 PM
Looks like it's engineered for areas with limited snow load - you'll have to find out what it is in your area.

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 5:12 PM
My take on this is that a 50# box of 16d commons would not only be far less expensive but much more versatile.

Rob Bodenschatz
02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I hear ya, Andy. I should probably qualify my interest in this, though. I'm looking for options where I could build this structure myself (with a few helpers). While I'm ok with studing out walls and such, framing the roof is beyond my skillset. I'm looking at roof trusses as well. Time is also an issue. I'd like to get the thing up as quickly as possible without sacrificing too much in quality. Frankly, I'd pay a bit more if it'll save me some time and aggravation. Not too much more though. :)

Rob Bodenschatz
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Barry, I did some quick checking and it looks like the gable style roof that I'm looking to do has a maximim snow load of 45 lb/sq ft. I'm seeing anywhere between 30 and 35 for surrounding municipalities. (Can't find mine on the web so I'll have to give them a call)

Roger Los
02-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Rob, I have been intrigued by this, as well. I think I will be stick-building instead...I was attracted to the ease on one-man construction.

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Rob - If speed, cost, value, minimal manpower, no headaches with code or insurance are important to you then the answer lies in pre-built trusses.

Can't believe I said that - one step closer to another lost skill set.

Chris Barton
02-06-2006, 7:53 AM
Rob - If speed, cost, value, minimal manpower, no headaches with code or insurance are important to you then the answer lies in pre-built trusses.

Can't believe I said that - one step closer to another lost skill set.

Not lost Andy, just transfered. Just like wheel making, coopering and iron smithing. Given the very low costs of mass production of the trusses and better quality control, I would agree with Andy and go with manufactured trusses.

Ned Bulken
02-06-2006, 7:58 AM
I first saw this over on the WWA, and thought, hey that's pretty neat, but I've already got my truss gussets cut...

now that I see it again, I'm still glad I got my shop plans from www.barnplans.com you might want to check them out, easy to read and they have a pretty cool self-built truss system.