PDA

View Full Version : NFL,I wish....

Jon Grider
01-15-2024, 11:30 AM
I wish NFL receivers wouldn't feel the need to bow and arrow point every time they catch a pass for a first down. I wish there wasn't a gangsta celebration in the end zone when a touchdown was scored. That goes for my team as well. Go Lions! Barry Sanders was a great example for all. When he left would be tacklers looking for their shoes after scoring, he would calmly flip the ball to the closest ref and sit down. He had it right imo.

Perry Holbrook
01-15-2024, 12:11 PM
Amen to that!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2024, 1:10 PM
In my earlier years that would have been called "showboating" but it started in my generation. In the same breath, however, that was my generation.

Brent Gamble
01-15-2024, 1:31 PM
Darrell Royal reportedly told his players at the University of Texas "when you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before." I watched Earl Campbell score a bunch of touchdowns and he either put the ball down and walked away or handed the ball to a ref. Not a fan of all the showboating. There is an NFL rule against it, but it's never enforced.

Roger Feeley
01-15-2024, 1:51 PM
When I lived in Kansas City area, I learned that th Marine Psi-Ops had a presence there. I thought the chiefs should bring in some of those guys and really learn how to mess with the other team.

brents quote of Darrell Royal makes sense to me. Don’t le5 the other team think that your touchdown or sack is any big deal. Just business as usual.

Jerome Stanek
01-15-2024, 4:08 PM
I remember when it was a penalty to celibrate now every play one or the other are jumping around like they have bees in their pants.

Steve Demuth
01-15-2024, 4:23 PM
I remember when it was a penalty to celibrate now every play one or the other are jumping around like they have bees in their pants.

You all sound like crabby old guys, jawin' about how we used to be better men. The NFL is a sports entertainment league, and the players are giving the fans what they want (even if some want less of it than others). In those celebrations, they are having some fun doing it - and given just how hard and dangerous to one's health the job is, they deserve some perks that make it more fun. Seems like a win all the way 'round to me.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-15-2024, 5:14 PM
Chiefs players have a tough act to follow. Taylor Swift has been stealing the show. Was she at the game yesterday? If yes I bet she had a heated seat. Wife and Daughter have sort of become Chiefs fans.

Stan Calow
01-15-2024, 5:59 PM
Chiefs players have a tough act to follow. Taylor Swift has been stealing the show. Was she at the game yesterday? If yes I bet she had a heated seat. . .

Yes she was here. She was in an enclosed suite with Mama Kelce, Brittany Mahomes, and other friends. At least they didn't pan the camera to her every few minutes like they have in the past. Maybe because the glass was frosted over.

I agree with being against the showboating and taunting that goes on. Yes, it's entertainment, but I see small kids imitating that behavior on the field and it's not right. We dont teach sportsmanship anymore, just the opposite, and cheer it on.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-15-2024, 6:28 PM
I had jury duty in October and my assigned seat landed me in the middle of 5 Lady's, 3 of whom have Chiefs season tickets. I learned a whole lot about Miss.Swift and nothing at all about football. It was sort of fun but I was glad it only lasted several hours.

Patty Hann
01-15-2024, 6:42 PM
I had jury duty in October and my assigned seat landed me in the middle of 5 Lady's, 3 of whom have Chiefs season tickets. I learned a whole lot about Miss.Swift and nothing at all about football. It was sort of fun but I was glad it only lasted several hours.

Too funny :D

Larry Frank
01-15-2024, 8:07 PM
I am a crabby old man and love to watch football. However, the over the top antics takes away from the game. I appreciate the athletics but not the absurd show offs.

Jack Frederick
01-15-2024, 9:24 PM
I played through college and no longer have any desire to even watch it, but I agree with the ridiculous antics. Pretty soon there will be another score for dance routines on every play. They can add it to the jumbo-tons. I’ll give that a 5.6 out of ten. Jim Brown was the best at it, No salt on Barry’s tail here, but Jim Brown would run over the team, get up slowly, adjust his pads as he slowly walked back to the huddle and then run over the team again, repeat, ad nauseum!

Jon Grider
01-15-2024, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'm a crabby old man too. I view it as an athletic contest rather than a Vegas act. Maybe we can cut the super bowl regulation play time to 2o minutes and watch "entertainers" dance amid fireworks and smoke bombs for 60 minutes. Celebration is one thing. Doing cartwheels because you sacked the third string quarterback when your team is down by 4 TD's with a minute to go in the 4th quarter does nothing for the sport or me imo.

Jerome Stanek
01-16-2024, 8:04 AM
Maybe if the cameras wouldn't show that stuff they would get the idea that nobody cares

Rich Engelhardt
01-16-2024, 8:26 AM
They should rename "sports' to "look what I can buy".

Maurice Mcmurry
01-16-2024, 8:31 AM
One of the first things I ever Googled (when we finally got internet and a hand me down PC) was "Crimson Tide" after hearing Gillan Welch use the term in a folk song. I could not understand what Football had to do with her song Red Clay Halo. Now I know. The game has changed a lot.

Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Post-Herald), is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl) played in Birmingham with Auburn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Tigers_football) a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson.[citation needed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] The headline for the article was "Crimson Tied", referring to the 6–6 tie Alabama had with Auburn, who had been heavily favored before the game.[clarification needed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Please_clarify)]

Walter Mooney
01-16-2024, 2:54 PM
I wish NFL receivers wouldn't feel the need to bow and arrow point every time they catch a pass for a first down. I wish there wasn't a gangsta celebration in the end zone when a touchdown was scored. That goes for my team as well. Go Lions! Barry Sanders was a great example for all. When he left would be tacklers looking for their shoes after scoring, he would calmly flip the ball to the closest ref and sit down. He had it right imo.

Earl Campbell was the same way! Did his job, did it very well, and let that speak for him and itself!

Bernie Kopfer
01-17-2024, 2:10 PM
It occurs to me that the question is “why do the TV producers think we want to watch grown men act like children?” How the players behave is not a problem, but producers thinking I want to watch them is annoying. I’d rather watch the replay, not juvenile behavior.

Ken Combs
01-17-2024, 2:58 PM
Darrell Royal reportedly told his players at the University of Texas "when you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before." I watched Earl Campbell score a bunch of touchdowns and he either put the ball down and walked away or handed the ball to a ref. Not a fan of all the showboating. There is an NFL rule against it, but it's never enforced.

But it was attributed to Vince Lombardi. No matter who said it, they were right!

OTOH, some of the group celebrations that are well choreographed are kinda neat, one, or at least a few per game, in the right circumstance, maybe. You know, really unique play/performance by a receiver/QB/running back (or defensive player). it is after all an entertainment medium for the audience and an athletic contest for the guys on the field.

IMO the rule against excessive celebration should be invoked after the nth celebration in a game by a team. Get it out of you system and then play ball!

Jerome Stanek
01-17-2024, 3:15 PM
I guess every time I hammer in a nail I should celibrate

Steve Demuth
01-17-2024, 5:15 PM
It occurs to me that the question is “why do the TV producers think we want to watch grown men act like children?” How the players behave is not a problem, but producers thinking I want to watch them is annoying. I’d rather watch the replay, not juvenile behavior.

I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.

Kent A Bathurst
01-17-2024, 6:30 PM
People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)
————-
I thought this was pretty hip 60 years ago. My Dad, not so much

The more things change……

Maurice Mcmurry
01-17-2024, 6:46 PM
If I remember correctly there was a big effort to reign in celebratory antics in the end zone about 20 years ago? Including fines?

OK google
Celebrate the new NFL touchdown rule with these crazy player antics - mlive.com (https://www.mlive.com/lions/2017/05/touchdown_celebrations_by_detr.html)

Ron Citerone
01-17-2024, 6:55 PM
I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.

I agree. Sports are a way for adults to forget about their problems and worries for a few hours. 4 guys celebrating a touch down pretending to row a boat or whatever is part of the show. The dumb insurance commercials and gambling app commercials are much more offensive to me actually. Hence the "Mute" button! :)

Jerome Stanek
01-17-2024, 7:05 PM
I agree. Sports are a way for adults to forget about their problems and worries for a few hours. 4 guys celebrating a touch down pretending to row a boat or whatever is part of the show. The dumb insurance commercials and gambling app commercials are much more offensive to me actually. Hence the "Mute" button! :)

And Joe Namath hyping social security advantage plans

Maurice Mcmurry
01-17-2024, 7:06 PM
When I lived in Kansas City area,
This is a Non sequitur, It is for Roger Freely in case your homesick, and Stan Calow + others in the mid west.

https://youtu.be/5zkyGa6Wq_Y

Patrick McCarthy
01-17-2024, 8:08 PM
Maybe if the cameras wouldn't show that stuff they would get the idea that nobody cares

are we talking sports, because i say that FREQUENTLY about the news coverage of politicians. Stop showing it and maybe they will stop doing it. I know, i know . . . naive be I.

Ron Citerone
01-17-2024, 8:15 PM
And Joe Namath hyping social security advantage plans

Yes, and another Irony, Johnny Unitas vs Joe Namath. Quintessential modest team player vs Mr. Flamboyance. Commentator David Brooks has said that was a pivotal moment for society in modesty vs self promotion. I suppose it was?

Barry McFadden
01-17-2024, 8:29 PM
I'll take all the showboating camera shots the NFL wants to put in during a game if it takes the place of the annoying shots of Taylor Swift every time Travis Kelsey touches the ball!!!!

Kent A Bathurst
01-17-2024, 9:16 PM
You do realize the huge impact on viewership and merch sales from Taylor dancing on camera in the VIP suites? An entire massive army of new - and young- fans. The league is ecstatic

The answer to all your questions and complaints is money

Ron Citerone
01-17-2024, 9:19 PM
You do realize the huge impact on viewership and merch sales from Taylor dancing on camera in the VIP suites? An entire massive army of new - and young- fans. The league is ecstatic

Follow the money! LOL love it!

Bill Dufour
01-17-2024, 9:36 PM
The Oakland raiders and the Heidi game is why they have to show every last second of on field antics. Something might actually happen. But I notice they seldom bother to show the field goal kick. They really should make the field goal attempt from 30 not 20 yards and make it a tough decision. Very few conversion plays happen anymore because kicking is too sure fire points now. About 90% completion on average.
BilL D

Barry McFadden
01-18-2024, 8:45 AM

I really can't imagine non football fans sitting through a 3 1/2 hour football game to see Taylor Swift screaming and yelling in the stands. They can go on youtube amd watch her as much as they want. What is she going to do after football season to get attention.... possibly start dating a hockey player?

Roger Feeley
01-18-2024, 8:59 AM
This is a Non sequitur, It is for Roger Freely in case your homesick, and Stan Calow + others in the mid west.

I’m a little homesick. I live in Falls Curch VA about 6 miles as the crow flies from the Capitol building. The climate hero’s about the same as KC but add 20% humidity. I miss the snow. KC gets several good snows a year. We just got the first sledable snow in 3 years.

I like the density of interesting stuff around here. I used to joke that KC is a great place to live but I opulent want to visit there. Not entirely true but you get the point.

My first impression of the people of falls church is that they don’t do anything but their jobs. In the Midwest we have hobbies. We mow our own lawns shovel our own snow and fix our own houses. We may hold white collar jobs but there’s no shortage of dirt under the fingernails. I know of just two other homes in my neighborhood where the owners mow the grass.

but I have to say that this neighborhood is a lot friendlier than where I used to live. I got to know more neighbors here in 6 months than I knew back in KC in 20 years.

Falls Church is full of movers and shakers. My garage door openers have pretty short range. I’m told that there is someone living nearby with “special security” that includes jamming the unlicensed frequencies (we think). I’m not surprised. We don’t have the cabinet secretaries but we have their direct reports. The #2 guy at EPA lives across the street. The guy 4 doors down is chief council at treasury. Lloyd Austin lives in Great Falls just a few miles away. My point is that many of these folks live and breath their jobs and just don’t have time to mess around building something on the weekend.

Kent A Bathurst
01-18-2024, 10:43 AM
I really can't imagine non football fans sitting through a 3 1/2 hour football game to see Taylor Swift screaming and yelling in the stands. They can go on youtube amd watch her as much as they want. What is she going to do after football season to get attention.... possibly start dating a hockey player?

You - and I - are so far outside the comprehension loop that it is hopeless. To thrive and survive long-term, NFL has to get to a younger market. Suddenly they've got millions of pairs of fresh eyes on their product.

Tay-Tay says its cool, and so it's cool. The Swifties will follow her wherever she goes. Some will stick with the NFL product. She does not need NFL or NHL or any other vehicle for attention, wealth, and fame.

This all seem stupid? Yep - just like the outbreak of Beatles haircuts mid-60's.

BTW - the dismay over post-TD theatrics - It was outlawed, but then "in-lawed". A direct appeasement to a younger audience that digs flashsy displays. You and I don't get it? - that's fine, they aren't targeting us, and they just don't care.

Jon Grider
01-18-2024, 11:38 AM
When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.

Steve Demuth
01-18-2024, 12:03 PM
When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.

I agree. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with people being paid to entertain us (I watch a little football myself, and enjoy watching both the strategic nature of plays and the athletic feats of the players). In fact, the lack of any real meaning in the results is what makes it relaxing and entertaining. Meaningless to me just means that the outcome doesn't matter in any more than a made-up way.

Pat Germain
01-22-2024, 5:54 PM

I recall an episode of The Simpsons where Homer would give ideas for touchdown celebrations to an NFL star. In one scene, he broke out a BBQ and started grilling in the End Zone. That's my kind of celebration. :)

Patty Hann
01-23-2024, 3:02 AM
I recall an episode of The Simpsons where Homer would give ideas for touchdown celebrations to an NFL star. In one scene, he broke out a BBQ and started grilling in the End Zone. That's my kind of celebration. :)
That sounds like Homer to a T (or maybe to an H)... Doh! ;)

Pat Germain
01-23-2024, 2:22 PM
People forget that NFL, as well as all professional sports, are entertainment. Yet, sports fans get all bent out of shape if something upsets the purity of their favorite sport.

Dave Barry wrote a hilarious article years ago about sports fans. He compared them to someone who is an Amtrak fan. Imagine if someone you knew had no affiliation with Amtrak, but was down when Amtrak wasn't doing well and was thrilled when Amtrak was doing well. That's just like being a sports fan.

Taylor Swift currently happens to be the world's biggest entertainer. Combine that with NFL and it's no surprise pop culture is going to pounce on it. And it's no surprise TV ratings went through roof when Taylor first attended a game. All the Swifties wanted to see their girl!

Patty Hann
01-24-2024, 2:49 AM

Dave Barry wrote a hilarious article years ago about sports fans. He compared them to someone who is an Amtrak fan. Imagine if someone you knew had no affiliation with Amtrak, but was down when Amtrak wasn't doing well and was thrilled when Amtrak was doing well. ...

Dave Barry... I had forgotten about him. He has a great, a wonderful sense of humor. His columns were almost always side-splittingly funny. :)

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2024, 8:01 PM

Heh. Where do woodworking and internet forums rank on the meaninglessness list?

Maurice Mcmurry
01-26-2024, 8:19 PM
My wife wondered if the colors on every baked item at out grocery store were meaningless. I said "Go Chiefs, pass the coffee, and for heavens sake come in out of the cold before someone (or 3) freezes to death"

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2024, 10:25 PM
I'm not hugely concerned with anything that happens during dead-ball intervals in an NFL game. But there are a couple of rule things that just drive me up the wall.

1. Replay can trigger or not depending on an official's call. For example, a questionable pass in the end zone...if the official call is complete (touchdown), it automatically gets reviewed. Same pass gets called incomplete, no review unless a coach is willing to spend a challenge. If you're going to have replay, use it.

2. Say a runner going down the sideline gets tackled and fumbles, the ball goes a yard or two down the field and then rolls out of bounds. Normally, the ball is spotted at point of the fumble, offense retains possession. Exact same play happens at the 1-yard line, the ball goes out-of-bounds from the end zone, the ball is spotted at the 20 and the other team takes over. HUH?!?

There are more, but my BP is high enough just thinking about how those two affected games in the last two weeks.

Bill Dufour
01-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Now with AI if Taylor Swift is not dancing in the skybox for your team they can just generate the video to show she is there.
Claim is more money is spent watching video games then on the NFL. Go to a stadium and watch the big screen while two nerds battle it out. At least NFL has players out off the bench and moving more then their thumbs.
BilL D

Rich Engelhardt
02-01-2024, 5:20 AM
Hmmmm...
Tough call here.

On one hand, we have the enormously irritating "Ickey Shuffle (https://www.google.com/search?q=Ickey+Shuffle&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS890US890&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7eb9fee7,vid:Ih-TYjxG0Ug,st:0)". (which as a Cleveland Browns fan at the time I saw way too often :()

On the other hand, had there been no Ickey Shuffle - there would never have been one of the better and funniest (IMHO) TV commercials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiai8dg3-Kw) ever.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-03-2024, 12:57 PM
come in out of the cold before someone (or 3) freezes to death"

Here is the latest on the sad story,

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-fans-found-frozen-drugs-systems

Pat Germain
02-05-2024, 12:26 PM
As is so often the case these days, it was drugs, drugs and more drugs.

Curt Harms
02-05-2024, 12:46 PM
As is so often the case these days, it was drugs, drugs and more drugs.

Boy, that's the truth. We have a pretty small circle of family and friends. I counted 5 overdose deaths.

Kent A Bathurst
02-06-2024, 11:10 AM
Back to Taylor-Travis phenomenon, imagine if today’s social media extravaganza had existed when DiMaggio was dating Marilyn? Anarchy

Pat Germain
02-06-2024, 3:06 PM
Back to Taylor-Travis phenomenon, imagine if today’s social media extravaganza had existed when DiMaggio was dating Marilyn? Anarchy

That's a good point. I really don't get the hate for the modern couple. Why can't it just be two people, who happen to be famous, caring for each other?

Stan Calow
02-06-2024, 5:16 PM
That's a good point. I really don't get the hate for the modern couple. Why can't it just be two people, who happen to be famous, caring for each other?

Easy. It's all clickbait. A lot of professional "pot"-stirrers out there making a buck on the internet.

Lee DeRaud
02-06-2024, 7:27 PM
Easy. It's all clickbait. A lot of professional "pot"-stirrers out there making a buck on the internet.

Not sure how much money is involved, at least directly. Most of what I've seen is artificial political outrage and response.
Can't say more, for obvious reasons.

Lee DeRaud
02-06-2024, 7:31 PM

It does at least calibrate the relative cultural importance of Swift vs Munn/Patrick/Woodley.
(Or, more on-topic, Kelce vs Rodgers. :) )

Maurice Mcmurry
02-06-2024, 7:50 PM
She sure seems like a very sincere human being to me. I just can't hate her.

https://youtu.be/FvVnP8G6ITs?si=MqlrHm6Ohb0LpHIB

Stan Calow
02-06-2024, 10:22 PM
Not sure how much money is involved, at least directly. Most of what I've seen is artificial political outrage and response.
Can't say more, for obvious reasons.

Social media pundits and even sites like this one, typically have sponsorship ads that pays them based on the number of clicks they get. Thus generating artificial outrage makes money.

Dave Zellers
02-06-2024, 10:34 PM
She sure seems like a very sincere human being to me. I just can't hate her.

https://youtu.be/FvVnP8G6ITs?si=MqlrHm6Ohb0LpHIB

I couldn't agree more. She is a wonderful role model for young girls coming of age. And anyone really.

Pat Germain
02-07-2024, 3:13 PM
Social media pundits and even sites like this one, typically have sponsorship ads that pays them based on the number of clicks they get. Thus generating artificial outrage makes money.

This explains a LOT about our current culture and culture wars.

Ron Citerone
02-07-2024, 6:00 PM
Yep they call it "Rage Juice!" Quick find somebody to blame or hate. So Sad.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2024, 4:38 PM
Sadly, I think this bet is only available in Canada, otherwide I'd go heavy on the over, at 5.5, for number of Taylor mentions on CTV broadcast of the game. Includes pre-and post-game commentaries. It's not conceivable that she could be mentioned only 5 or fewer.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2024, 12:13 AM
I'd say it's a sad commentary about our society today that we dare to condemn, ridicule or make fun of a couple having a romantic relationship. The couple just happens to be 2 of the most recognizable people in the world. My wife of 55 years and I were talking about it today during the game. I wouldn't want to have that type of public pressure if I was trying to have a relationship with someone.

I met my wife on a blind Saturday night date. She was a divorced mother of two. The next day we went on a picnic with the two kids. I introduced the kids to fishing. The next evening on our 3rd date I asked her to marry me. That night we broke the news to her parents with whom she and the kids were temporarily living. 9 days later I signed over my checking and savings accounts and left for bootcamp. 2 days after getting home for Christmas leave out of bootcamp, we were married. 2 years later after reenlisting for 6 more years, I took part of my reenlistment bonus and adopted those kids and a couple years later we had one more.

Two years ago while visiting a wife's lawyer cousin in Iowa, I told Kathleen I would like to have been a fly on the wall in her parents home that evening after I left to go home. Kathleen said our relationship was quite the conversation piece within the family for a goodly amount of time after that. My ILs became two of my greatest supporters as the years passed and I theirs!

I think this type of chatter is a result of the internet and I question it's value. JMHO.

Lee DeRaud
02-12-2024, 2:25 AM
Sadly, I think this bet is only available in Canada, otherwide I'd go heavy on the over, at 5.5, for number of Taylor mentions on CTV broadcast of the game. Includes pre-and post-game commentaries. It's not conceivable that she could be mentioned only 5 or fewer.
"Mentioned"? I think maybe once or twice. "Shown", OTOH, maybe a dozen times. That's from the official CBS USA feed.

One note: Mahome's wife and and least one of their kids was up on the platform during the trophy ceremonies, but Swift was down on the field with (I think) Kelce's mother and brother. Our take was, she didn't want to draw attention away from his accomplishments. He went down to her immediately after his remarks/interview. As much as one can tell on camera, these are two people who care more about each other than whatever anyone else thinks of them as a couple. (Hope so, anyway: she's not exactly subtle when dealing with exes in her music.)

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2024, 9:37 AM
I'd say it's a sad commentary about our society today that we dare to condemn, ridicule or make fun of a couple having a romantic relationship. The couple just happens to be 2 of the most recognizable people in the world.

I meant no disrespect to them, and I don't think it reads that way - I just smile at the way it gets as far as sportsbook bets. They are living large in today's social media universe, and they play it up to their fans, and for their fans. Their lives are high-profile entertainers, involving several bazillion followers across every known inhabited space, and they feed - and feed off of - that fame.

Goody gumdrops for them both, says me.

Jim Koepke
02-12-2024, 11:52 AM

Me too!

I'm not much of a football fan, yesterday was the first time in years that I watched football on TV. Years ago, the Niners were my home team and I rooted for the home team.

This year with all the weirdos on a put down diatribe over Taylor and Travis, it didn't bother me that my old home team lost.

At least we know she isn't after him for his fame or money. I'm not really a fan of either, but if it ticks off the weirdos, sprinkle some sparkles on my behind and call me a Swifty.

Something some folks do not know about the Chiefs' name >
a fan contest determined the new "Chiefs" name in honor of Mayor Bartle's nickname that he acquired in his professional role as Scout Executive of the St. Joseph and Kansas City Boy Scout Councils

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2024, 3:35 PM
I meant no disrespect to them, and I don't think it reads that way - I just smile at the way it gets as far as sportsbook bets. They are living large in today's social media universe, and they play it up to their fans, and for their fans. Their lives are high-profile entertainers, involving several bazillion followers across every known inhabited space, and they feed - and feed off of - that fame.

Kent, my friend, my comment wasn't meant about your comment! It was about the nature of the beast in general not you or this thread specifically. The internet again, IMO, has the capability and is used for so much good. It also has the capability to be used for so much that is negative, destructive and abnormal. It's kind of a love-hate relationship viewed from where I sit.

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted that fame, attention and resultant pluses and minuses. But that is me. I find myself too often repeating "This is Ken in Idaho...looking down....shaking his head!"

Glad to see you back at the Creek, Kent!

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2024, 6:05 PM
I didn't misunderstand you - just wanted to make the note for the genpop.

Happy to be back, good to read your thoughts as well.

Dave Zellers
02-12-2024, 8:58 PM
You guys are only a post or two away from becoming our own Taylor & Travis.

Ken and Kent. :D:)

jack duren
02-13-2024, 7:58 AM
I live in KC and haven’t watched the news since the Super Bowl. Sick of it..

Maurice Mcmurry
02-14-2024, 8:03 PM
I am not a fan. My impression of football is that it leads to bad behavior. This started at age 11 when I accidentally got drunk from drinking some of what the mis-behaving adults were drinking at a football game. This year we have drinking to death at a watch party, murder at a victory celebration, and the despicable ridicule of a charming and talented celebrity couple, both of whom go out of their way to express care for their fellow humans. NFL... I wish it was just a game.

I am from Iowa (which has its embarrassments). Caitlin Clark is giving me hope!

https://youtu.be/cbvwNFSUQzY?si=hq9tkwN9OEjLBuGG

Dave Zellers
02-14-2024, 8:51 PM
I am not a fan. My impression of football is that it leads to bad behavior. This started at age 11 when I accidentally got drunk from drinking some of what the mis-behaving adults were drinking at a football game. This year we have drinking to death at a watch party, murder at a victory celebration, and the despicable ridicule of a charming and talented celebrity couple, both of whom go out of their way to express care for their fellow humans. NFL... I wish it was just a game.

Well I am a fan, a big fan, but I have to acknowledge your thoughts above. Pretty much spot on. A very sad situation.

Barry McFadden
02-14-2024, 9:03 PM
[QUOTE=Maurice Mcmurry;3301448] and the despicable ridicule of a charming and talented celebrity couple, both of whom go out of their way to express care for their fellow humans. NFL... I wish it was just a game.

Except when it comes to her taking her private jet from Japan to Las Vegas and not caring about her effect on Global Warming........Yes she seems to really care about her fellow humans!!

Lee DeRaud
02-14-2024, 9:27 PM
and the despicable ridicule of a charming and talented celebrity couple, both of whom go out of their way to express care for their fellow humans. NFL... I wish it was just a game.

Except when it comes to her taking her private jet from Japan to Las Vegas and not caring about her effect on Global Warming........Yes she seems to really care about her fellow humans!!
I'm seeing quite a bit of noise about this. It might matter at some very low symbolic level, but the incremental carbon footprint of the Tokyo->Vegas->Australia flight relative to the entire tour is miniscule. Skipping the side trip on the basis of climate concerns would, IMHO, qualify as virtue-signaling.

(For some reason, the phrase "get over it" just jumped into my head... :) )

Maurice Mcmurry
02-14-2024, 9:31 PM
[QUOTE=Maurice Mcmurry;3301448] and the despicable ridicule of a charming and talented celebrity couple, both of whom go out of their way to express care for their fellow humans. NFL... I wish it was just a game.

She sold her jet last week. It may be meaningless but at least she has the courtesy to make a gesture.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-14-2024, 9:58 PM
I have been wondering what the pollution impact of the billionaire rocketeers and their quest to commercialize orbital, sub orbital, and just for fun space trips is. I guess I will google that.

Dave Zellers
02-14-2024, 10:07 PM
OK then. From end zone celebrations to global warming.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Lee DeRaud
02-15-2024, 1:43 AM
OK then. From end zone celebrations to global warming.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Turtles all the way down...

Maurice Mcmurry
02-15-2024, 8:30 AM
I would have never have clicked on this thread if my kids had not recently explained to me what the piss on the NFL bumper sticker is about. I wish it was still just a game.

Barry McFadden
02-15-2024, 9:00 AM
[QUOTE=Barry McFadden;3301461]

She sold her jet last week. It may be meaningless but at least she has the courtesy to make a gesture.

To put it the proper context..... she sold ONE of her jets....

Maurice Mcmurry
02-15-2024, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Maurice Mcmurry;3301468]

To put it the proper context..... she sold ONE of her jets....

OK Barry you win, I will work on trying to 1/2 hate her. I guess I will need to start hating Elvis and many others too. : (

Barry McFadden
02-15-2024, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Barry McFadden;3301508]

OK Barry you win, I will work on trying to 1/2 hate her. I guess I will need to start hating Elvis and many others too. : (

LOL..... I don't think anyone really wins in these situations....the debate could go of forever:)

Cameron Wood
02-15-2024, 12:27 PM
Only slightly on the topic,

Since the kickoff return is practically nonexistent now and almost all balls go into the end zone, I think the the kickoff team could get something for putting the ball through the uprights- a point, or placing the ball on the 5 yard line.

This would give some interest to a part of the game that has become kind of a waste of time.

Pat Germain
02-15-2024, 2:30 PM
Maybe Rugby now has potential in the USA.

Strange how many people complain about the NFL and say they won't watch it. But last week's broadcast of the Super Bowl had the largest audience in television history. I heard the only thing that might have had more viewers was the Apollo 11 moon landing, but that was on multiple networks.

Patty Hann
02-15-2024, 5:43 PM
I watch the highlights....that way I don't spend almost 4 hours in front of the TV... not to mention (but I will) eating for that 4 hours.
Highlights are about 15-20 minutes ...long enough for 3-4 Oreos.
Glad KC won, btw.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-15-2024, 7:59 PM
+1 for Rugby! I interject the Caitlin Clarke story because it is wholesome and untainted, and she passes like Tom Brady.

"I just wanted to say congratulations on the record," Brady said in a tribute video shared by the Big Ten Network. "Like the rest of the country, I’ve been following along as you chased down my girl Kelsey (Plum), but I know she’s proud of you too. We love witnessing greatness here. Keep your head down, go finish the job and I’ll be watching."

https://youtu.be/zXW2fUgz4jA?si=7scM4KJ57MNC-8yj