PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cooking Smells

Bruce Wrenn
01-14-2024, 9:43 PM
Today, boiling some chicken off the bone for Brunswick Stew, the smell got me to thinking about favorite cooking smells. Of course everybody likes the smell of baking bread. I include the chicken boiling, the smell of green peppers, and onions on the griddle, and the smell of burning charcoal. What's some of your favorites?

Dave Zellers
01-14-2024, 10:24 PM
POT ROAST!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for asking. Mrs Z fixes it every year for my birthday. As well as a few times in between. Heaven.

And of course BACON!!!!! Yeah- charcoal is a good one too. So many...

Dwayne Watt
01-14-2024, 11:02 PM
This one is easy. Indoor cooking smell is bacon. Outdoor cooking smell is beef brisket on the smoker with mesquite fuel.

Ron Citerone
01-15-2024, 7:24 AM
Rosemary and Garlic on a pork roast!

Lee Schierer
01-15-2024, 8:23 AM
Apple and pumpkin pies in the oven.

George Yetka
01-15-2024, 8:41 AM
Maple bacon

Jim Becker
01-15-2024, 9:02 AM
Too many to list, but the slow cooker always pleases when it's got something going...

Paul Saffold
01-15-2024, 9:44 AM
#1 bacon
#2 bread
#3 turkey

Sam Force
01-15-2024, 3:12 PM
Any BBQ in the smoker!!
A big skillet of fried potatoes, jalapenos and onions!!
If you get both at the same time I think it would be heavenly

Jim Koepke
01-15-2024, 3:20 PM
It would be easier to list the ones that are not enjoyed. In other words, I like almost all of them.

jtk

jack duren
01-15-2024, 3:27 PM
Peppered steak

Lisa Starr
01-15-2024, 4:30 PM
Anything that's breaded and slow cooking in the cast iron dutch oven.

Roger Feeley
01-16-2024, 1:44 PM
Burges on the grill.
I also like the smell of stick welding flux. Takes me back to simpler days…

Jim Koepke
01-16-2024, 3:16 PM
My wife can not stand the smell of grilling onions or peppers in any stage.

Those are two of my favorite things, so she lights scented candles, turns on the ceiling fan and opens the doors in warmer months.

She also hates the smell of sage and savory, two of my favorite herbs.

jtk

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2024, 6:31 PM
My wife can not stand the smell of grilling onions or peppers in any stage.

Ditto for mine. There's a local Mexican restaurant that we love except that they make a major production of bringing out red-hot sizzling platters of the stuff whenever anyone orders fajitas.

Terence McGee
01-19-2024, 3:31 AM
herbs like rosemary, thyme, and roasted chicken!

Jason Roehl
01-19-2024, 4:32 AM
Frying bacon and anything in the smoker have got to top my list.

On the negative side, however, is a strange one. About 8.5 years ago, I developed an allergy to eggs, which runs in my family. Prior to that, I ate lots of eggs (probably a dozen a week) fixed in various ways. Since the discovery of my allergy, I now can’t stand the smell of eggs frying. Makes my stomach turn, and I used to enjoy that very smell. Even if bacon grease is used to scramble eggs, they don’t cancel out—the egg smell overwhelms the bacon smell and repulses me.

Earl McLain
01-19-2024, 9:04 AM
Tough to narrow that down, there isn't much that has already been mentioned that wouldn't be on my top 25, 50 or 100 list. But...if i had to pick one only...maybe fresh crushed garlic hitting a pan of hot butter & olive oil. That just says "something really good is on the way"!!

Rob Luter
01-19-2024, 9:13 AM
Almost too many to list

Indoors: Bacon, Coffee, Pot Roast, Bread

Outdoors: Pretty much anything on the grille. Burgers on the Weber is a classic smell, as is Brisket on the Big Green Egg.

Thomas McCurnin
01-19-2024, 11:49 AM
For Christmas, I make "Smells of Christmas." I take a large stockpot, and add cinnamon sticks, dried oranges, tangerine, lemons, nutmeg, grapefruit skins (small pieces), vanilla and whole cloves. Add water, bring to a simmer, and it smells like Christmas.

Roger Feeley
01-19-2024, 12:19 PM
My mothers macaroni and cheese. My dad used to go to a Kiwanis dinner meeting and my mom would make macaroni and cheese using Kraft Old English cheese. We would eat while watchingCarol Burnet.

Kraft Old English came in a brick like Velveeta but it more like cheddar. Sadly,Kraft stopped selling it in the US. I think maybe they still sell it in Canada but only wholesale. Sysco shows it on their website. I need to cultivate a business owner in canada willing to buy the cheese and ship it to me. That’s a lot of moving parts.

Pat Germain
01-26-2024, 9:41 AM
I recently started making a Hungarian goulash. Oh, good golly, does that smell good when it's simmering on the stove! It's like a plussed-up beef stew. Here's the recipe video if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvLyGMy9Wo&t=682s

I really like this guy. He's a New Yorker who demonstrates how to make the Italian-American food he grew up eating.

George Yetka
01-26-2024, 9:55 AM
I remember when I was a kid, 6 or so, my parents cooked a load of crabs one day and it stunk the house up so bad I couldnt be inside. It was during a heavy summer rainstorm. I sat on the front porch for 8 hrs to avoid it.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-26-2024, 1:13 PM
I was waiting for someone else to bring up NOT favorites. During the time that I was the live in building maintenance guy in a community center, a group held a soul food dinner and made chitterlings. I had to vacate for several days.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2024, 12:15 AM
I remember when I was a kid, 6 or so, my parents cooked a load of crabs one day and it stunk the house up so bad I couldnt be inside. It was during a heavy summer rainstorm. I sat on the front porch for 8 hrs to avoid it.

Children slowly learn to understand flavors and textures. You can’t make them like anything beyond Mom’s milk and sugar.

Antonio Jhone
01-27-2024, 12:55 PM
Boiling chicken for Brunswick Stew today – the aroma got me thinking about favorite cooking smells.:) (https://guttercleangeelong.com.au) Baking bread is a classic, but I'm all about the sizzle of garlic, the earthy herbs, and the rich scent of simmering soup. What's your go-to kitchen fragrance?

Lee DeRaud
01-27-2024, 2:42 PM
Boiling chicken for Brunswick Stew today – the aroma got me thinking about favorite cooking smells.:) (https://guttercleangeelong.com.au) Baking bread is a classic, but I'm all about the sizzle of garlic, the earthy herbs, and the rich scent of simmering soup. What's your go-to kitchen fragrance?

Sesame seed oil.

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2024, 5:51 PM
Boiling chicken for Brunswick Stew today – the aroma got me thinking about favorite cooking smells.:) (https://guttercleangeelong.com.au) Baking bread is a classic, but I'm all about the sizzle of garlic, the earthy herbs, and the rich scent of simmering soup. What's your go-to kitchen fragrance? When making Brunswick Stew, I add both Boiled Chicken and BBQ pork. If I don't have BBQ, I take slow cooker pulled pork, add vinegar based BBQ sauce to it along with some liquid smoke. Quickly shred both meats in the food processor.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-28-2024, 12:08 PM
Brunswick GA had their Stewbilee yesterday. I understand there is a bit of a controversy about the origins and the recipe.