PDA

View Full Version : Breast Drill

James Ayars
02-05-2006, 3:17 PM
Has anyone used the breast drill sold by Traditional Woodworker?

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php?products_id=1933

I have three breast drills from the early part of the 20th century but am interested in getting a newer one.

Any experience with the Stanley braces also?
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php?products_id=1616

Again, I have some braces from the 1930-1950 period, but would like a newer one so as to not overwork my older ones.

Many thanks.
James

Kevin French
02-05-2006, 3:23 PM
I've used the older Stanley Braces, they'd be a lot cheaper too.

Mike Wenzloff
02-05-2006, 3:29 PM
Hi James,

The breast drill looks typical of utilitarian German tool engineering--and looks stout as a result. I had never seen this one. I would shoot them an email if no one here has had experience with it, but the sucker looks like it is up to the task.

One thing I would want to make sure of is smooth operation despite what the sales copy says. I suspect it is if they did a good job cutting the gears.

Thanks for the link. Mike

Jim DeLaney
02-05-2006, 6:59 PM
Hit Ebay for older Millers Falls or Stanley breast drills. Some nice looking M-F breast drills have been going for less than their shipping costs lately. You may even be able to get a decent one for under $25, including the shipping.

Bob Noles
02-05-2006, 8:02 PM
James,

Almost any antique store in your area would most likely have a good MF or Stanley on hand for $15-30 and save the freight. LOML loves to drag me thru these stores and I see them all the time ;)

Roger Bell
02-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I am familiar with the Shroeder company...they put out some good stuff. I am not familiar with this particular drill, but I have seen the ads for it. As has been pointed out, you can get a breast drill for 75% less that will get the job done just as well and may very well be just about as well made. However, since price/value are such purely subjective things......perhaps the Shroeder "is" at least somewhat superior to the vintage. It wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to find out.

Now as to the Stanley "Made in England" brace. I have handled this unit and, IMO, upon inspection.... it simply is not as good many of the vintage models. Moreover, it costs at least 3-4 times as much. I don't think I would be too concerned about "wearing out" any vintage higher end brace that is in good shape to start with. I just don't think it is going to happen. So if you need another brace, you might start looking for the Yankee or Stanley/Yankee 2100 series or a Millers Falls with a Lion chuck (among other choices). They are really not at all hard to find. They generally go for well under $25 and are far superior to the modern Stanley.

Dave Lehnert
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Would you believe I was traveling through north east Ohio about two years ago and stopped in an old hardware store in a small town. They had a brand new Millers Falls still in the box. Just sitting on the shelf. Problem was they wanted $135 for it.

Cliff Ahlgren
02-06-2006, 10:12 AM
James:

Since you have several breast drills, could you comment on how well they work? There is one for sale near me for about $40 - it is a 2-speed and in pretty good shape, but I have never used one and am wondering if they are at all useful.

James Ayars
02-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi Cliff,
The ones I have work real well. They were stiff when I got them, but I cleaned the gears and shafts with a rag and PB Blaster and the improvement was amazing. They turn smooth as silk. The ones I have are two speed models. I'll look tonight and put the maker and model # on here too.

I don't use them as much as my cordless drills but I do use them when I need to drill larger holes away from an outlet, when I'm outside or when I just want to enjoy them. They're just fun to use.

I was working on a treehouse/climbing tower at the gymnastics school I have and used one of the drills to bore holes through 2x6's and 4x4's I was putting together. With a sharp bit, I swear they were almost as fast as my 0.5 inch drill and a lot more quiet. Plus a couple people asked me what I was using so it gave me a chance to expose them to some old tools.

Ok I looked. One is a Millers Falls 120B two speed. The second is only marked "Jordan Germany". It is a single speed model. The third is a Stanley No. 743 two speed.
James

Cliff Ahlgren
02-09-2006, 10:06 AM
James:

Thanks for that info. The only powered tool I'm currently using is a corded electric drill and I would like to get away from it so maybe I will pick that breast drill up. Do you think a breast drill would have enough torque to drive screws also? I noticed the drill for sale also had some screwdriver bits for it.

Kevin French
02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
If you had an "Egg Beater" type drill, to drill the pilot hole and make the countersink, in most cases a "Yankee" screwdriver will drive the screws. All but the largest and longest, IF, you apply a little BEES Wax.

For the larger ones a brace or breast drill would drive them.

Put the cordless in storage for "Just in case".