PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions. WOrkbench quandry

Ray Bahr
01-12-2024, 10:10 PM
Hi All,

I am building my first 'real' workbench, and am fretting about hardware. It will be a split top Roubo. I have several hundred bd-ft of hickory well on its way to seeing it's fair share of glue. I also have Benchcrafted HW ready to go. The 'but here' is that I also have a very nice later model Emmert vise I want to hang on this thing. I have looked at the installation and it looks like a fair amount of butchering will need to happen in order to install this. I have been reading The The Anarchist's Workbench for inspiration, in there Chris S. kinda scoffs at the idea of mounting an Emmert on the bench.

That said, I like the added flexibility...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ray

Kevin Jenness
01-12-2024, 10:50 PM
If I had a patternmaker's vise I wouldn't hesitate to mount it on my bench. If you have to cut a deep trench for the beam you might want to put the vise on the end of the bench or on the overhang of the front face. Who cares what Chris Schwartz thinks?

Jim Ritter
01-12-2024, 11:01 PM
Mount the vise. They are awesome.
Jim

Mel Fulks
01-12-2024, 11:26 PM
Yep, use it . They were mainly used in pattern making shops . That is pretty high on trade scale of accuracy, features, and vise
accuracy. I’m disappointed in Chris.

Derek Cohen
01-12-2024, 11:28 PM
Totally agree with Kevin and Jim.

Just because CS likes and pushed the leg vise does not mean that it is the way to go. It really is about what the bench will be used to do. If I had an Emmet, it would replace my leg vise before you could blink an eye! One of these days I shall replace mine with a HNT Gordon pattern maker's vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
01-13-2024, 1:52 AM
Ray, 1 more vote to go with the Emmert.

My bench project has been on hold for various reasons.

My plan is to have a pattern maker's vise. Here is my journey > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

The work for mounting the vise is at the end of the thread, for now.

My plan is to set mine in so it can line up with the apron and the leg for extra clamping when needed.

jtk

Carl Beckett
01-13-2024, 7:04 AM
I have a Roubo with a leg vise. And recently built (still in process tbh) a second workbench I am mounting an Emmert to. I do not have enough time with it to decide if I had only one bench which I would choose. But it may be as big a question on 'how' to mount.

The modifications to mount the Emmert feel like a lot when you are chopping into your beautiful new workbench. Yes clearance underneath - but functionally there is more than enough thickness that the structure is not at all compromised so even if you remove it later no harm done.

I have not 'yet' mounted mine flush. For the same reasons - I havent wanted to modify my bench that much. Although I saw one post wondering if mounting flush inhibits how a workpiece clears/swings when rotating, I have not read any posts from users who have taken the time to flush mount say they regret it.

Some mount it on the end of the bench.

So for now mine is not flush mounted, on the left side, but I prefer the 'look' if it were flush mounted. I am giving it time in use before taking that step to decide if flush mounting would add functionality that makes the modifications worth it.

Warren Mickley
01-13-2024, 7:23 AM
I think that for every time that the Emmert vise would be useful there are a dozen times where you are doing some routine operation where it would be clumsy. If you bench is rather long you could put it on the back corner, out of the way for most of your work.

Eric Brown
01-13-2024, 7:50 AM
My Tucker is flush mounted. This lets me clamp long boards easily. I love it. If they started making them again, I would buy a spare. What CS was saying about those vises is that most woodworkers don't need them. His focus though is on chairs and casework. His lower cost solutions are to use a Moxon vise or a clamp on vise that sit above the bench. Raising the clamping higher has advantages. Me, I used adjust-a-bench legs so the whole bench can be raised or lowered. Love this bench.

You can see it here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?102856-WorkBench-by-Eric-Brown-Comments-welcome&highlight=

Dave Anderson NH
01-13-2024, 8:05 AM
I agree with almost everyone. I mounted an Emmert K-1 on my "new" bench about 15 years ago and have not regretted it one bit. Doing the cutout for a flush mount was a royal PIA but worth the trouble. It is nice to be able to rotate the vise jaws 90 degrees when you need an extra few inches of height to work on something. Just make sure the bench is sturdy and heavy enough to cantilever the vise since it is so heavy. All things considered I probably use the Emmert more than the twin screw face vise. Note that my bench is set up for the fact I am left handed.

Jim Koepke
01-13-2024, 10:32 AM
I think that for every time that the Emmert vise would be useful there are a dozen times where you are doing some routine operation where it would be clumsy. If you bench is rather long you could put it on the back corner, out of the way for most of your work.

Warren, to me the same argument could be made against Scandinavian style vises:

This looks like it would be an invoker of pain to unmentionable parts of the body in my shop. For many others it is the "Cat's Pajamas."

There are advantages to this style of tail vise or a wagon vise. They also have limiting factors to rule out their use in my shop.

Everyone has different needs, styles and projects. For some, a leg vise is the way to go. For me after years of working with very simple vises the rack when holding a business card, they have shown some advantage for my way of doing things.

Vises and tool trays are personal choices, made by and for each individual woodworker. Each of us has to make choices for ourselves, not for some internet guru who creates work or a style different from our own.

jtk

Ray Bahr
01-13-2024, 11:51 AM
All good info. Thanks!

Current plans are:

Split top Roubo, round instead of square dogs to make things just a bit simpler, Casters on the 4 legs, as the idea of man-handling a 400 lb lump of wood is no longer appealing (silly getting old thing), Hoping for 8' long and 30" wide, and 38" high (I'm 6'2", and like to be close to my work).

Leg vise - front left
Sliding Deadman - in support of the Leg vise
Wagon vise on end
Alongside of that the Emmert.

I scored a pile of clear Hickory last summer, and between that and some accent woods, should have enough, or very close.

Ray

Eric Brown
01-13-2024, 3:21 PM
All good info. Thanks!

Current plans are:

Split top Roubo, round instead of square dogs to make things just a bit simpler, Casters on the 4 legs, as the idea of man-handling a 400 lb lump of wood is no longer appealing (silly getting old thing), Hoping for 8' long and 30" wide, and 38" high (I'm 6'2", and like to be close to my work).

Leg vise - front left
Sliding Deadman - in support of the Leg vise
Wagon vise on end
Alongside of that the Emmert.

I scored a pile of clear Hickory last summer, and between that and some accent woods, should have enough, or very close.

Ray

Casters are good for moving but they can also let the bench move when using. Consider putting levelers on that can raise the bench above the casters. Lower them when you want to move.

Ray Bahr
01-13-2024, 3:36 PM
Thanks Eric,

I have been using these casters: https://www.vevor.com/leveling-caster-c_10475/gd-60s-set-of-4-leveling-casters-high-wearability-medical-footmaster-caster-p_010762185635

Work well and can handle a lot of weight, and have a marginal footprint. There are other similar solutions.

Ray