PDA

View Full Version : Spiral cutter head bit torque setting...50 inch lbs doesn't seem tight enough.

scott vroom
01-12-2024, 2:56 PM
I'm rotating the carbide cutters on a Byrd spiral cutter head for my 8" jointer. I'm using a Tekton 2-way click wrench. The recommendation is 50 inch lbs but it doesn't "feel" tight enough. I can loosen 50 in lbs fairly easily with a hand held torx screwdriver, MUCH easier that the pressure required to loosen the factory installed cutters. It feels like the factory tightened at a higher torque than 50. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2024, 3:22 PM
Scott, that doesn’t seem to be an unusual setting for a torque screwdriver, is that what the head manufacturer recommends?

Regards, Rod

scott vroom
01-12-2024, 3:30 PM
Scott, that doesn’t seem to be an unusual setting for a torque screwdriver, is that what the head manufacturer recommends?

Regards, Rod

Hi Rod, yes Byrd recommends 50 in/lbs. Doesn't seem tight enough considering the speed and force of wood on cutter.

Andrew Hughes
01-12-2024, 4:55 PM
Scott I think it will be fine as long as your torque wrench is accurate. I use the Wheeler fat torque wrench never had one come loose . Before I bought the wrench I did break a few here and there.
I remember thinking the same thing seems to lite.
Good luck

Edward Weber
01-12-2024, 5:12 PM
There is little force on the screw itself. The cutters lock into position, the screw only holds it in place.
Use the manufacturers specs.

Richard Coers
01-12-2024, 5:39 PM
With a support ledge for the cutter to lean on, and the taper on the bolt, I see no reason to second guess the manufacturer.

Edward Weber
01-12-2024, 7:31 PM
Over tightening machined parts and fasteners does more harm than good

Bill Dufour
01-12-2024, 7:50 PM
The insert is carbide it will not deform as torque is applied. The only deformation is bolt stretch. so it is a well defined number. I would trust the companies torque. I assume no insert shims are used? What size is the screw?
Bill D

http://www.greensladeandcompany.com/wp-content/themes/greenslade-theme/pdf/articles/torque/Torque-Tightening%20Inch%20Machine%20Screws.pdf

scott vroom
01-12-2024, 8:45 PM
I tightened to the factory spec....thanks for the replies.

Robert L Stewart
01-12-2024, 10:50 PM
Edward had the perfect reply.