PDA

View Full Version : Existing panel cutting jig, new saw

Brian Runau
01-12-2024, 11:28 AM
My existing panel cutting jig is 3/4" farther away from the blade on my new table saw since the miter slot is farther from the blade. Can I use as is or do I need to take it apart and move everything closer? Brian

Marc Fenneuff
01-12-2024, 11:36 AM
I would adjust it and cut a new edge. If you are able to pry off the runner, and your back fence can still be adjusted, it's not too bad of a job to do. I did it last year with my crosscut sled so, two runners to replace and the back fence had to be re-squared. I also scraped and filled the holes where the old runners were removed.

Brian Runau
01-12-2024, 12:07 PM
I would adjust it and cut a new edge. If you are able to pry off the runner, and your back fence can still be adjusted, it's not too bad of a job to do. I did it last year with my crosscut sled so, two runners to replace and the back fence had to be re-squared. I also scraped and filled the holes where the old runners were removed.

I know, just looking for someone to give me permission not to do it. Brian

Michael Burnside
01-12-2024, 12:21 PM
If you don't need zero clearance, then don't move it. If you do, move it or glue on an extension and recut.

Brian Runau
01-12-2024, 4:06 PM
If you don't need zero clearance, then don't move it. If you do, move it or glue on an extension and recut.

Michael, now that's a thought. I have to decide. Think I'll make a test cut with it short and see. thanks brian

Rich Engelhardt
01-13-2024, 6:38 AM
New saw - new jig.

Lee Schierer
01-13-2024, 1:31 PM

I was also going to suggest adding a piece on the side and cutting that piece to fit. If your existing sled works well and cuts square, why mess it up by taking it apart.

Brian Runau
01-14-2024, 12:03 PM
I broke down, removed the fence and miter guide, turned it 180 degrees, installed new t-nuts, fence and miter guide. Good to go. Like an old pair of jeans, used, but my wear and tear. Brian