PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bearing Guides vs Carter Guides for G0513 Bandsaw

Chris Franz
01-12-2024, 9:10 AM
I recently purchased a used Grizzly G0513 bandsaw in good condition. It has the original Euro guides on it. I'd like to upgrade.

I found both the Grizzly H9565 guides ($98) as well as the Carter 17/19 ($290) guides as upgrade options. I'm soliciting opinions
as to whether, for a HOBBIEST woodworker, the Carters are worth the 3X uptick in cost.

Tony Shea
01-12-2024, 1:47 PM
I'm actually curious about this as well. I was under the impression that bearing guides are preferable but people rave about Carter guides. I have the same bandsaw and need to replace the bearings on my guides. Would love to know if Carter guides are better than the bearings.

lou Brava
01-12-2024, 8:05 PM
Of course there better just ask Carter.
I do know the BS has more "expert" ways to set it up "right" than any tool in the shop, guides included. You can find very experienced guys who swear bay Carter & those that don't. I'm sure Carter guides are built better, machined better & look better than stock Grizzly guides, but will they improve on your saws performance is probably only something that you would know after you swap em out.

Bill Dufour
01-12-2024, 9:28 PM
I thought carter guides had bearings?
Bill D.

Michael Burnside
01-12-2024, 9:35 PM
I thought carter guides had bearings?
Bill D.

Agreed. Wondering if the OP mean ceramic?

When my ceramics wear out I’ll probably pickup a set of Carters.

Chris Franz
01-13-2024, 2:35 PM
Agreed. Wondering if the OP mean ceramic?

When my ceramics wear out I’ll probably pickup a set of Carters.

By Euro-style (the ones that are currently on it), I mean these:

[Credit to "mdhills" from a different forum]

I'm not sure if the side guides are ceramic or not.

I guess the real question is, has anyone tried the Grizzly Ball Bearing replacement guides for the G0513 available here:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-bandsaw-ball-bearing-guides/h9565

I asked Carter and they said their guides are great :)

Geoff Crimmins
01-13-2024, 2:58 PM
In what way are the stock guides not meeting your needs, and what improvement would you like to see from the new guides?

Bill Dufour
01-13-2024, 7:45 PM
The side guides look like carbide brazed to metal to me. I suppose carbide might be considered ceramic.
Bill D

Tony Joyce
01-13-2024, 9:17 PM
My GO513X2 came with the H9565 guides. I'm well pleased with their performance and they are easily adjusted also. YMMV

glenn bradley
01-14-2024, 10:29 AM
My GO513X2 came with the H9565 guides. I'm well pleased with their performance and they are easily adjusted also. YMMV

Both of mine did as well although purchased years apart. I bought a tube of the guide and thrust bearings many years ago. They were not much money, are quick to change, and have worked well for me. I bought a tube of 10 years ago and still have a few left from that original tube. When I got low I bought another tube but have not opened it yet. these are wear items on your machine; they don't last forever. I am still on the original tube of the thrust bearings. I bought mine from VXB.com and got the sealed versions instead of the shielded versions. They seem to last much longer.

Chris Franz
01-14-2024, 10:02 PM
There's kinda where I was going. I don't have any issues with the current blade guides, but the newer
Grizzly models went to ball bearing guides. I was just inquiring with other Grizz 17" band saw owners.

Thanks