PDA

View Full Version : Edge Sanding Guide for Random Orbit Sander

Orlyn Gaddis
01-09-2024, 11:03 PM
Does anyone have experience with an edge sanding guide such as the Festool Positioning Aid (AH-ES-ETS/ETSC). I have not been able to find any other similar sander atttachment except for a 3D printed one by Iluka Tools which didn't get very favorable reviews. Apparently the Festool Positioning Aid can only be used with the Festool ETS 125 REQ sander and similar cordless sander. Unfortunately it is apparently not compatible with the ETS EC 150 that I already own. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the positioning aid and how effective it is at edge sanding boards and maintaining the edge square and flat with the face of the board.

Nick Crivello
01-09-2024, 11:28 PM
I picked one up recently and wish I had sooner. It’s perfect for edges and bevels like a tabletop. I didn’t realize it didn’t fit the ec 150, and had to get the REQ sander as well.

George Yetka
01-10-2024, 8:42 AM
I bought it a ways back and thought it would work with ets ec. It does not.

Dave Sabo
01-10-2024, 9:11 AM
I have one and it works as designed / advertised.

If you need the capability - 300$ bucks is short money in my view.

Bradley Gray
01-10-2024, 9:24 AM
I have clamped my ROS in a tail vise and clamped a guide to the bench for small parts.

jack duren
01-10-2024, 9:26 AM
There is an aluminum version edge sander on YouTube, but I have been unstable to find again. I’ll try and find it..

Jamie Buxton
01-10-2024, 11:23 AM
This is a spot where hand sanding works pretty well. The sanding block is 2x5x3/4 or so. Unlike the ROS, it doesn't tip. And because you're sanding a small area -- maybe 3/4" by a few feet -- it doesn't take much time or energy. I generally stand the panel on edge, so the sanding block rests easily on the edge. Try it. You may be surprised.

Zachary Hoyt
01-10-2024, 11:28 AM
I use my ROS on edges all the time, just holding it in my hand. It's not very hard to do. I also use it a lot on instrument parts with curved surfaces. It takes a little practice, but wrist control can make the job easy. On the other hand I'm not having to do it all day, as that would doubtless be tiring without some kind of support.

Jim Becker
01-10-2024, 1:20 PM
There is a recent thread in the Festool Owners Group that asks a similar question. Festool doesn't offer support for any sander other than the one that the edge guide is designed for. There are alternatives that are 3D printed as has been mentioned. One person did "clean up" the printed version they bought (I think off ETSY, but I could be wrong about that) so that it worked smoothly and accurately. Honestly, however, the smaller sander is going to be easier to use for this particular application due to size and weight...it's one of two reasons I'm considering getting a 125mm Festool sander to compliment the three 150mm versions I own.

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 1:34 PM
There is a recent thread in the Festool Owners Group that asks a similar question. Festool doesn't offer support for any sander other than the one that the edge guide is designed for. There are alternatives that are 3D printed as has been mentioned. One person did "clean up" the printed version they bought (I think off ETSY, but I could be wrong about that) so that it worked smoothly and accurately. Honestly, however, the smaller sander is going to be easier to use for this particular application due to size and weight...it's one of two reasons I'm considering getting a 125mm Festool sander to compliment the three 150mm versions I own.

Yea, I've been considering picking up the ETS 125 REQ specifically for this purpose alone. Usually I do the double-sided tape and a guide to prevent rolling the corners. It works pretty well, but I've often wondered if the little 125 would be better. Only annoying thing is a new set of sanding pad sizes :mad:

Jim Becker
01-10-2024, 1:39 PM
That would be one application for me and the other is that for the guitar bodies and some other smaller projects, the 125mm sander would be more appropriate. The downside is that right now, the same abrasive media fits all my sanders...adding the smaller tool means adding media supplies, too. Not really a first world problem, of course, but it's been a consideration that's kept me from doing the deed to-date.

George Yetka
01-10-2024, 1:40 PM
Im debating Hammer 950 instead of the ets125req. Ive wanted it for a couple years now and figure I can edge sand before assembly at least through rough grits

Jim Becker
01-10-2024, 1:43 PM
That's a worthy consideration, George. A stationary edge sander is a pretty versatile tool, too...not just for "edges".

George Yetka
01-10-2024, 1:52 PM
That what I was thinking I figure by the time I spend 500 on a new sander and the edge guide im a 1/4 of the way there. Im going to visit felder at The Woodworking Show in Edison next month.

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 1:55 PM
That would be one application for me and the other is that for the guitar bodies and some other smaller projects, the 125mm sander would be more appropriate. The downside is that right now, the same abrasive media fits all my sanders...adding the smaller tool means adding media supplies, too. Not really a first world problem, of course, but it's been a consideration that's kept me from doing the deed to-date.

Yep, that's my hold up too. ETS 150/3, 150/5 and Rotex all take the same set. One of these days I'll have to ping you on the guitar stuff. Building one is on my bucket list.

Paul F Franklin
01-10-2024, 2:27 PM
I have the 125 and the edge guide; works as intended. Especially useful when the workpiece is thinner than 3/4, as it becomes more difficult to maintain the sander square to the edge as the edge gets thinner. I have so many different kinds and sizes of sandpaper it didn't bother me to add another and the smaller size and weight is a plus for many of the projects I do.

George Yetka
01-10-2024, 2:28 PM
Switching to a hard backing pad helps alot in not rounding edges. I added a couple hard pads to help

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 2:30 PM
Switching to a hard backing pad helps alot in not rounding edges. I added a couple hard pads to help

Good point George. I only use hard pads personally. The original pads that came with my ETS 150s are still in the box.

Dan Barber
01-10-2024, 2:37 PM
You guys are such enablers. Guess what's in my shopping cart right now?

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 2:40 PM

No need…it’s in my cart too :(

Orlyn Gaddis
01-10-2024, 2:51 PM
May as well add to my cart as well. I considered a stationary edge sander but prefer taking the tool to the workpiece instead of the workpiece to the tool, especially for large workpieces. The stationary tool also takes up room that I would rather devote to other uses. The issue of having to stock 5" sanding supplies as well as the 6" I already stock was a concern. But I suppose that the smaller size sander would be handier for edge sanding applications. Thanks for all the comments and insight.

Paul F Franklin
01-10-2024, 4:18 PM

LOL, remember that when we are on the fence about buying something....we might need a little push. Wife: You bought *another* tool???? Me: Dan made me do it....

Robert Mayer
01-10-2024, 4:47 PM
I have one for my Festool, its absolutely worth it. Unless you see both results side by side you really do not realize how free hand sanding makes your edges look "off". With the edge sander I get very crisp edges. 2 small downsides are you have to use a couple of screws to install and the work piece really needs to be clamped down.

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 4:54 PM
I have one for my Festool, its absolutely worth it. Unless you see both results side by side you really do not realize how free hand sanding makes your edges look "off". With the edge sander I get very crisp edges. 2 small downsides are you have to use a couple of screws to install and the work piece really needs to be clamped down.

Thanks Robert. I'm telling my wife you made me buy it...I had no choice.

George Yetka
01-11-2024, 6:42 AM

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Or where SMK will make you spend your money

George Yetka
01-11-2024, 6:51 AM
I started on a 125 ets ec and loaded myself up with a few hundred Granat discs. before I made a serious dent I upgraded to a Mirka 150. It was a great deal. 550 for deros with 5&6" pads, 200 abranet discs, vacuum hose. I sold my ets for $250 and that vacuum hose for 75. Only thing I needed to do was put a festool Plugit on the mirka which unfortunately ran $70. So all in all it cost 250 to upgrade with ability to do 5&6 and got all the free paper. Now the question is what do I do with the 5" stuff? I havent thought of a reason to go back to 5". Should I sell it?

Randy Heinemann
01-11-2024, 1:09 PM
I get excellent results with it. I have used it several times and, for those situations, it worked well and saved me a lot of time. Plus, most of the sanding dust is collected which isn't the case with hand sanding. Can you edge sand by hand or with a RO sander? Sure. It's just easier for me to get great results with the guide.