PDA

View Full Version : Why Right Hand Blade on Most Track Saws?

John A. Schaefer
01-09-2024, 7:17 PM
I'll (unfortunately) be moving to a smaller shop space in a few months, so looking at getting a track saw to cut larger pieces and plywood panels when I bring them into the shop to save space.

My first circular saw was a worm drive SkilSaw, so it and all my other circular saws since then have had the blade on the left.

As I've been looking at my options, Makita and Festool keep getting great reviews. But they - and nearly every other track saw I've seen - have the blade on the right side. (Kreg seems to be the only one with a blade on the left, but I've seen numerous marginal reviews.)

For anyone else that's been in this situation, how big of a learning curve should I expect? And is it really that big of an issue noting being able to easily see the cut considering what these things are designed to do?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Jim Becker
01-09-2024, 7:36 PM
I believe you are correct that currently Kreg is the only one with the left blade format. I know at least one person who has both the Kreg and the Festool, believe it or not, so they have the option. ;) For me, it wasn't a factor because my "legacy" circular saw, a 1980s era B&D, was a right side blade, so when I got the Festool tracksaw, it was "the same" in that respect. Now when I bought the inexpensive Bauer cordless circular saw, it was right blade and I can appreciate the appeal as a right handed individual as it puts the cutline (and usually the cut-off) where it's visible and able to be supported by my other hand. I will say this, the blade side would not discourage me from having a tracksaw of whatever color you feel most inclined to embrace.

Derek Cohen
01-09-2024, 7:49 PM
John, perhaps in Japan ... the land of pull saws and pull hand planes ... the saw is set up to cut on the left side of the track since you are expected to pull the circular saw and not push it?

Sorry, the sensible answers are too easy :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

John A. Schaefer
01-09-2024, 8:11 PM
John, perhaps in Japan ... the land of pull saws and pull hand planes ... the saw is set up to cut on the left side of the track since you are expected to pull the circular saw and not push it?

Sorry, the sensible answers are too easy :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I laughed harder at this than I’m willing to admit… :)

Nick Crivello
01-09-2024, 8:12 PM
Does it really matter? You’re going to be looking at the track for indication of cut location. A circ saw affects right/left handed users and ability to see the cut line.

John A. Schaefer
01-09-2024, 8:18 PM
I can appreciate the appeal as a right handed individual as it puts the cutline (and usually the cut-off) where it's visible and able to be supported by my other hand.

That’s my concern since I am right handed and it’s all I've known. But I’m guess that it’s not important with a track saw, because you just have to make sure that the setup is accurate.

John Kananis
01-09-2024, 9:17 PM
The blade on the right (as long as you are right handed) keeps the save piece closest to you on long cuts and/or eliminates your having to allow for saw kerf every cut/calculation.

Derek Cohen
01-09-2024, 9:28 PM
It can make a difference for those - obviously - who are left-handed if the controls favour the right-handed. Less obviously, it can affect those who are left-eye dominant (a parallax issue).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Burnside
01-09-2024, 10:32 PM
I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking! Or…….maybe it doesn’t matter which hand or system you use as long as the setup is good?

Jokes aside, I’m a righty and it’s not something I’ve thought about much. Once the saw is setup, I just grab the hose with the right and push the saw with the left.

andy bessette
01-10-2024, 12:18 AM
On a track saw, you want the blade on the right so you can use your left hand to apply downward pressure on the track, to prevent it from moving while you make the cut.

Bill Dufour
01-10-2024, 1:09 AM
Most wood workers are right handed. So they push the saw with their right hand. By placing the blade on the right side of the saw the hand is nearer to the blade and right in the line of fire for sawdust and chips. Very noticeable switching between skilsaw on the left and others which are right hand.
Tracksaw makers claim no sawdust ever escapes so they set out to prove how much better they are by using the worst possible side for the blade.
Bill D

Bryan Hall
01-10-2024, 3:06 AM
Not a big learning curve, get good clamps for your track, they are worth their weight in gold. I'm right handed and appreciate the right side blade for safety. It makes it more difficult for me to cut my fingers off since I would have to reach under the workpiece and across the track in order to reach the blade with my off hand.

Rough cutting construction lumber is when I really appreciate the left side blade.

Myles Moran
01-10-2024, 8:25 AM
Right hand saw seems correct to me for a tracksaw. I would want the track on the "keep" side so it helps with tear out, and a right-hand saw would put the saw in position for my right hand. I'm trying to picture a left hand track saw, and I'm not sure if I would use my left hand, or try and cross my arms to run it with my right hand while holding the workpiece from moving with next left hand.

George Yetka
01-10-2024, 8:51 AM
I would expect a very short learning curve. You will be lining up the fence for your cut and either locking it or relying on grip of the rail. The saw is the accessory here once the rail is set just move the saw along rail. The only curve may be that the rail covers all but the offcut. If you make a mark and align the fence too it you will lose the mark. so your kerf has to be figured if your offcut is under the fence.

I would agree with you switching to a right blade circ saw would be akward but track saw is different

Dave Sabo
01-10-2024, 8:58 AM
It can make a difference for those - obviously - who are left-handed if the controls favour the right-handed. Less obviously, it can affect those who are left-eye dominant (a parallax issue).
Derek

I agree with the L vs. R hand controls, except that lefties shouldn’t be in unfamiliar water because most circ. saws are for righties anyway. Besides, the “controls” are the same for both type of saws - trigger is inline with the handle. Now , the balance point will change with a L saw over a R one, but it’s still an unbalanced saw either way.

And since it rides on a track , it doesn’t really matter anyway. Same with the parallax issue ! Whether you saw is leftie or righty makes no difference when you mark your workpiece , place the track and cut.
-or-
Use one of the numerous cutting jigs for the track.

On a track saw, you want the blade on the right so you can use your left hand to apply downward pressure on the track, to prevent it from moving while you make the cut.

Not how the tool was designed to be used. You may like to use it that way, but it’s not designed that way !

AND …………..your argument isn’t well thought out because a lefty would use his right hand to apply pressure to the track if he were to employ your technique.

I would want the track on the "keep" side so it helps with tear out, and a right-hand saw would put the saw in position for my right hand.

The “keep” side is always under the track , regardless of whether the blade is mounted on the left or right of the motor.

Ron Selzer
01-10-2024, 9:00 AM
I have never run or owned a track saw. I do own left hand worm drive saws and prefer them. I can run a right blade saw if I have to, at work. Both work ok, just prefer left bladed saws.
The learning curve is short, and you will adjust quickly if you set your mind to it.
Ron

Rod Sheridan
01-10-2024, 9:01 AM
I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking! .

I use metric because it makes it makes my projects sound bigger and more awesome��

My water cooler talk at work “Spent the weekend cutting a piece of oak timber 654 X 432 X 38 thick, the 4 of us were in the shop all day Saturday gitten er done.”

Regards, Rod

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 9:29 AM
I use metric because it makes it makes my projects sound bigger and more awesome��

My water cooler talk at work “Spent the weekend cutting a piece of oak timber 654 X 432 X 38 thick, the 4 of us were in the shop all day Saturday gitten er done.”

Regards, Rod

HAHA, well played Rob!

Walter Plummer
01-10-2024, 11:20 AM
I own the Kreg and it has done everything I needed. I didn't buy the whole system just the saw and tracks. I am also a worm drive guy so it just seem correct to me. I used the Festool at work without much trouble but it always felt awkward. My only issue is I would like a shorter track that Kreg doesn't offer.

Edward Weber
01-10-2024, 11:30 AM
Interesting discussion.

I have, five circular saws, from 6.5" to 16". Two are right blade, three are left blade.
Makes little difference to me. It's all a matter of method of work. I also don't have an issue with using either hand when cutting.
I do think the controls on saws should be designed for both left and right handed people, some are better than others.
If you use a clamp guide type of system, rather than a saw and track "package", you can use any saw on either side of the guide, whatever is comfortable/safe for you.

Dan Barber
01-10-2024, 11:41 AM
I own the Kreg and it has done everything I needed. I didn't buy the whole system just the saw and tracks. I am also a worm drive guy so it just seem correct to me. I used the Festool at work without much trouble but it always felt awkward. My only issue is I would like a shorter track that Kreg doesn't offer.

Well, you have a saw. Making a shorter Kreg track doesn't sound too hard.

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 11:48 AM
Well, you have a saw. Making a shorter Kreg track doesn't sound too hard.

:p True that! I actually had to do this with my self-made MFT using the Dashboard system. One track Festool offered was too short, another too long. So...I bought the long one and cut 14" off of it. Turns out the 14" is great when attached to my 108" track for long panel rips!

Jimmy Harris
01-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Let the track do it's job so it shouldn't matter what side the blade is on. Like a table saw, a track saw is all about the setup. During operation, you're only focus should be on safety.

Cameron Wood
01-10-2024, 12:42 PM
The worm drive saw is one of the few tools seemingly designed for left-handers. The wider part of the base rides on the stock as you cut, and small offcuts don't hang up in the guard.

Maybe getting a saw with a right side blade is a bad idea because it will make you realize how lame the worm drive is for right-hand use.

Jim Becker
01-10-2024, 12:45 PM
I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking!

Hey...I resemble that remark!! :D. And my CNC sounds more impressive at 1250x1250 rather than 49x49, too.

---
But yea...edge of the track's splinter guard goes on the line so there's no need to "see" it up close and personal. The good side being toward the worker is also a good point that I should have mentioned earlier, too.

Dan Barber
01-10-2024, 12:56 PM
The better track saws are inherently safer as well, the blade is completely enclosed other than whets below the work surface, it has a riving knife and anti-kickback built into the track interface. I don't see this fact mentioned very often in these discussions.

Tom Bussey
01-10-2024, 12:57 PM
Being a Tool and Die Maker by trade. It didn't make any difference since almost everything I built in my 60 years was a right hand feed. Even if it was on a coil. which was a feed from the end of the press was a right hand freed . Even jigs and fixtures were loaded with the right hand. I am left handed, probably more ambidextrous than most. Stop and think about it, wood is fed into a table saw with the right hand. Even with a jointer the is wood is feed into a jointer with the right hand. Even miter gauges are a usually set up for a right hand feed

Now the longest reach when breaking down plywood is ripping it basically down the middle is at 24 inches or at 48inches.and having 2 pieces of 48 inch plywood is not a normal cut.

I cut all my plywood out side and yes the Kreg meet the right hand feed however if you if you reach a crossed the guide rail, guide rail toward you body you have a right hand feed. and the saw dust is directed away from your body and not toward it. And since the saw is trapped on the guide rail the sight line is a moot point and also dominate eye doesn't inter in.

The only difference on a track saw is where you possession your body to make in a right hand or left hand feed. If you position the track between your body and the cut you will have a right hand fed.

Ron Selzer
01-10-2024, 2:11 PM
I don't understand the whole right hand on sidewinders and left hand on worm drive saws. I am right handed and prefer a worm drive saw, only own 1-5 1/2", 4-7 1/4". 2-8 1,4" and 1-10 1/4" worm drives. NO sidewinders here. Started on sidewinders and used the best in the field at that time.
Don't use the saw on the off cut either
Ron

Tom Bussey
01-10-2024, 2:31 PM
It is mostly person preference which comes from what you started on and are more familial with.

Pat Germain
01-10-2024, 3:19 PM
Don't forget to take a look at the Milwaukee track saw. I did a lot of research and asked for the Milwaukee for Christmas. By golly, I got one. Now if I can just find some track...

Ron Selzer
01-10-2024, 6:16 PM
It is mostly person preference which comes from what you started on and are more familial with.
I agree 100% with you Tom. Just don't understand the people who say right hand only for sidewinders and left hand only for worm drive. I run both right handed 100% of the time, also try hard to keep the motor of the saw on the piece that I am keeping.
Ron

mike stenson
01-10-2024, 6:20 PM
I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking!

I prefer to do non-professional math doing multiplication, addition and subtraction, including calculating the multiples needed to get to 0 while consuming beverages and throwing pointy things.

professionally, I end up mostly doing it in hex.

Michael Burnside
01-10-2024, 8:53 PM
Don't forget to take a look at the Milwaukee track saw. I did a lot of research and asked for the Milwaukee for Christmas. By golly, I got one. Now if I can just find some track...

You still don’t have a track?!?

Jim Dwight
01-11-2024, 10:46 AM
I agree with the "doesn't make much difference" and "left hand on the track" points of view. I own a DeWalt and use an "Evolution" at church. Both are blade on the right. I use DeWalt track clamps sometimes (they are the best, I believe) but usually I just stabilize the track with my left hand. It seems like that would be harder if the blade was closer to me than the track. The DeWalt cuts in both directions, however, so you can set it up the way you want. The blade is on the right but if you use the other edge of the track the blade would be closer to you. But it feels more natural to use my left hand on the saw if I cut in that direction. I am right handed but left eye dominate and can do simple things with my left hand. Cutting with a track saw is pretty simple.

Jack Frederick
01-11-2024, 12:00 PM
Jim, like you I am Rt hand, Left eyed. Never knew that until in my 20’s a Rangemaster stood behind me and said I was crossing over. As to the track saw, I’ve had the TS55 for a long time. It does not matter to me what side the blade is on as I only use it on the guide rails. Once the rails are set and clamped you simply pull the trigger and follow along either R or L handed. My biggest issue is clearing the cord and vac hose. I do use the clamps all the time now as some years ago I decided at about max reach I could just lift the saw off the rail, modifying the rail.

andy bessette
01-11-2024, 12:17 PM
I never clamp the rail.

Holmes Anderson
01-11-2024, 1:18 PM
Not really a learning curve but the right side tracksaw blade may feel awkward. I have right and left side circular saws and am right handed. A Right side blade is more comfortable for short cross cuts (1xs and 2xs) with the off-cut falling to the ground. A left side blade is more comfortable for long cuts that require you to move your entire body, like breaking down sheet goods. I have the Makita track saw and I would prefer that it had a left sided blade because it is almost always used on sheet goods. The track should not have to be held down with your free hand.

Edward Weber
01-11-2024, 1:55 PM
I have right and left side circular saws and am right handed. A Right side blade is more comfortable for short cross cuts (1xs and 2xs) with the off-cut falling to the ground. A left side blade is more comfortable for long cuts that require you to move your entire body, like breaking down sheet goods.

I agree and was hoping someone would address this.

Alan Lightstone
01-11-2024, 2:09 PM
I never clamp the rail.
I always clamp the rail. Oh, and growing up in NYC I learned never to touch the 3rd rail. Just sayin...

Jim Becker
01-11-2024, 2:18 PM
I rarely clamp the rail on long cuts, but do clamp on short and "creative" cuts, especially with my short rail since it has less mass to keep it in place.

Tom Bussey
01-12-2024, 1:13 PM
I Answered this post because of the right or left hand position of the blade. I will say be up front and say that I still do not own one. There are still two issues for me and one is the right hand feed for me. The other is money.

First off it is hard to just change your ways of doing things one way for 50 plus years and plus of doing it a different way. The only reason I can see for a track saw put a straight edge on a board effortlessly. I go to the saw mil and buy it rough cut or skip planned two sides. When I break down plywood I do it out side. It seems work out well that way and I could also do it that way with a track saw.

I have looked at the Kreg track saw At Wood Craft and to me I like that it was to me a right hand feed. It never occurred to me that I could stand on the other side of the operation. So I never really though if it fact it could ne uses as a right hand feed.

If I were to get a track saw I would like to have a battery saw and loose the cord. that rules out Kreg. I am also heavily invest in Makita battery tools I have more than enough batteries to use the tools continuously and never run out of power so that brings me the fact I have to spend $459 plus track plus track to be able to do what I already can do kind of stops me from owning one.

Dave Sabo
01-13-2024, 11:19 AM
I Answered this post because of the right or left hand position of the blade. I will say be up front and say that I still do not own one. There are still two issues for me and one is the right hand feed for me. The other is money.

First off it is hard to just change your ways of doing things one way for 50 plus years and plus of doing it a different way. The only reason I can see for a track saw put a straight edge on a board effortlessly. I go to the saw mil and buy it rough cut or skip planned two sides. When I break down plywood I do it out side. It seems work out well that way and I could also do it that way with a track saw.

I have looked at the Kreg track saw At Wood Craft and to me I like that it was to me a right hand feed. It never occurred to me that I could stand on the other side of the operation. So I never really though if it fact it could ne uses as a right hand feed.

If I were to get a track saw I would like to have a battery saw and loose the cord. that rules out Kreg. I am also heavily invest in Makita battery tools I have more than enough batteries to use the tools continuously and never run out of power so that brings me the fact I have to spend $459 plus track plus track to be able to do what I already can do kind of stops me from owning one.

I see Makita battery track saws all the time on the secondary market for $300, sometimes less.

There are several chingchongchang tracksaws with tracks on BigRiver for less than $200 !

It kinda begs the question......why are you even considering a track saw in the first place ???

Michael Schuch
01-14-2024, 5:38 PM
90% of the time I use my left hand to operate my track saw. I prefer a left blade skill saw because I have better control of the saw and can keep it lined up better with my dominant right hand. With a track saw the track is clamped to the stock and the saw is locked into the track... there is practically no dexterity required to get a good clean straight cut with a track saw. If your left arm isn't disabled you should have no problem adapting to cutting with your left hand the majority of the time.

Generally my save piece is much wider than my offcut so I stand to the right of the offcut and use my left hand instead of reaching over the wide save piece on saw horses to make a cut with my right hand. Smaller narrower pieces get cut on the table saw.