PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop’s reply on cartridge fire

Jack Frederick
01-09-2024, 12:13 PM
Last month I had a cartridge fire on my PCS. I considered it an anomaly as I had turned the saw off. SS’s cartridge analysis said it was blade contact, so sequence of events. Removed dust shroud to make a thin rip as the fence could not get close enough with it on. Made the cut, turned off the saw, moved the fence to the rt to re-install the dust shroud, lifted the bale on the insert, touched the stopped blade, cartridge went off with a whimper. SS said the saw had not completed its shut down process and I must wait until the light is solid green before touching the blade. I was not in a hurry, just moving along when this happened. So, I timed the wind down on the saw. From power off to solid green light is about 7 seconds. Per their request I filed a “Finger Save” report and they are going to replace the cartridge. Cartridges are now about $100 so… Step by step, slowly I learn!

Cameron Wood
01-09-2024, 1:02 PM
So to be clear, there were no flames, correct?

Jack Frederick
01-09-2024, 1:36 PM
Nah, Cameron, they come out of the other end!

Brian Tymchak
01-09-2024, 1:39 PM
Last month I had a cartridge fire on my PCS. I considered it an anomaly as I had turned the saw off. SS’s cartridge analysis said it was blade contact, so sequence of events. Removed dust shroud to make a thin rip as the fence could not get close enough with it on. Made the cut, turned off the saw, moved the fence to the rt to re-install the dust shroud, lifted the bale on the insert, touched the stopped blade, cartridge went off with a whimper. SS said the saw had not completed its shut down process and I must wait until the light is solid green before touching the blade. I was not in a hurry, just moving along when this happened. So, I timed the wind down on the saw. From power off to solid green light is about 7 seconds. Per their request I filed a “Finger Save” report and they are going to replace the cartridge. Cartridges are now about $100 so… Step by step, slowly I learn!

I'd say that is pretty good CS. Generous of them to replace the cartridge.

Bill Dufour
01-09-2024, 2:01 PM
I have my drillpress set for a three seconds decleration. It sure seems like a long time when waiting for it to stop before removing the work from the vise. The three second acceleration seems fast enough to me.
My Royobi electric lawn mower requires a four second push and hold to turn on. At first I wondered what was wrong. That four seconds still seems longgg.
Bill D.

Bruce Wrenn
01-09-2024, 8:52 PM
I have my drillpress set for a three seconds decleration. It sure seems like a long time when waiting for it to stop before removing the work from the vise. The three second acceleration seems fast enough to me.
My Royobi electric lawn mower requires a four second push and hold to turn on. At first I wondered what was wrong. That four seconds still seems longg.
Bill D.This quote sums it up, "How long a minute is, depends which of the bathroom door you are on."