PDA

View Full Version : Router table top order of operations

Jim Klein
01-08-2024, 10:27 AM
Friends -

I'm currently gluing up my router table top (two layers of MDF). I will be routing an opening for my Jessem lift and slots for tracks, edging with hardwood, and then laminating the top and underside with formica. My idea was to do the edging first, then route the slots and install the hinges, glue on the laminate, and then clean up the laminate with a laminate bit. I've done all of this before, except for trimming unsupported laminate where the slots and lift opening are routed. Is this going to be a problem? I could route the slots and opening last, after the top has been laminated. Obviously, using the finished slots and opening as templates will make using the router much easier, UNLESS the unsupported laminate could chip back over the trim line. Anyone have a suggestion?

jack duren
01-08-2024, 10:34 AM
I would want the laminate on first before I do all that routing..

mike stenson
01-08-2024, 10:38 AM
I'd also laminate before any routing.

edit: I wouldn't bother with putting formica on the bottom.

jack duren
01-08-2024, 10:41 AM
I don’t do cover the bottom , but I use PB…

Dan Cameron
01-08-2024, 12:32 PM
I'd also laminate before any routing.

edit: I wouldn't bother with putting formica on the bottom.

It is important to laminate both sides to prevent curvature, since the mdf and laminate have different expansions with variation in humidity and temperature.The second laminate layer counteracts the tendency towards curvature.

mike stenson
01-08-2024, 12:34 PM
It is important to laminate both sides to prevent curvature, since the mdf and laminate have different expansions with variation in humidity and temperature.The second laminate layer counteracts the tendency towards curvature.

I'm not convinced it'll matter after an inch or so of MDF (especially bolted to cabinet). I've never seen it. I KNOW the theory.

In any case, I also wouldn't bother with the laminate on a router table anyway. Just 1 1/2" mdf.

jack duren
01-08-2024, 12:42 PM
It’s not important to cover both sides…

if your worried about the MDF , move to PB..

The only time we used back per board was on government jobs.

jack duren
01-08-2024, 12:51 PM
Not sure why everyone falls for the MDF router table. Did someone start calling PB the evil product? PB is cheaper than MDF

mike stenson
01-08-2024, 1:12 PM
Not sure why everyone falls for the MDF router table. Did someone start calling PB the evil product? PB is cheaper than MDF

In my case, next time I build one, I have a chunk of 1 1/2" MDF scrap that I've been sitting on. I'll just soak it with 50/50 mineral spirits and poly until it stops absorbing it, then wax it. Part of the reason, I think, is mass.

jack duren
01-08-2024, 2:29 PM
Anyway… Router tables are fun projects:D

Cameron Wood
01-08-2024, 3:16 PM
Here is my ancestral router table from a scrap of countertop (harvest gold!).

The PB swelled at the opening and flattening was needed. Overall, it is cupped in one direction, and bowed in the other, so the diagonals are pretty flat. I think the clamp on fence helps to flatten it- anyway, it works fine for my purposes, mainly running mouldings.

IMO, if you're doing laminate, you might as well do both sides, & cutting the slots either way should work but glue might collect in the slot, which would interfere with a pilot bearing trim.

Marc Fenneuff
01-08-2024, 4:16 PM
Jim, this was my order of operations. 2 layers of 3/4" MDF, wrapped in 1X maple, plastic laminate on top. I used a template bit for the lift opening and a giant rabbeting bit for the plate shelf. YMMV.

3 more, next post

Marc Fenneuff
01-08-2024, 4:17 PM
The rest

jack duren
01-08-2024, 4:23 PM
There not hard to do. Just a lot of measuring..

Jim Klein
01-08-2024, 7:56 PM
Beautiful work! Thanks for posting, and thanks to all for your replies.

Derek Kessler
01-08-2024, 9:10 PM
Laminate both sides of the MDF. Minimizes the risk of warping or bowing. Before working on the actual router table top, perform a test on a scrap piece of laminate with similar characteristics. This allows you to fine-tune your router settings and techniques to achieve the cleanest cut without chipping.

Zachary Hoyt
01-08-2024, 9:30 PM
I made my router table out of 3/8" aluminum plate, because my experience with Formica on counters had not stayed terribly flat over time. Fine for a counter, but not what I wanted in a router table top

jack duren
01-11-2024, 10:33 AM
I made my router table out of 3/8" aluminum plate, because my experience with Formica on counters had not stayed terribly flat over time. Fine for a counter, but not what I wanted in a router table top

Router tops are normally fastened to cabinets. I’ve not seen any problems in 20 years and I have three router tables and two of large size..

Richard Coers
01-11-2024, 12:14 PM
Either way of machining will work. I would definitely laminate both sides. For the nay sayers, is that couple of square feet of insurance a hardship? Difficult and time consuming to do? Expensive?

jack duren
01-11-2024, 1:09 PM
Either way of machining will work. I would definitely laminate both sides. For the nay sayers, is that couple of square feet of insurance a hardship? Difficult and time consuming to do? Expensive?

I’ve made too many for various company’s and witnessed the results. Not a nay seater here…

if you feel more secure laminating, etc the bottom , by all means do so.