PDA

View Full Version : Hard Maple and Walnut Roubo split-top bench

Bryan Hunt
01-07-2024, 2:42 PM
I completed my new Roubo split-top bench. I used the plans from Benchrafted, but made it a bit wider and taller. The top measures 87" long by 29" wide. I set the height to 43". This was my firs time to do a houndstooth dovetail and I think it came out pretty good. The finish is three coats of Boiled Linseed Oil.

Greg Parrish
01-07-2024, 2:45 PM
Turned out great. Like the touches of walnut. Thanks for sharing!!

Ted Calver
01-07-2024, 5:41 PM
Mighty pretty, Bryan!

Jim Becker
01-07-2024, 7:23 PM
Truly a work of art and a wonderful bench!!

Andrew Hughes
01-07-2024, 11:04 PM
Wow that’s nicer then some of furniture pieces I’ve made. Beautiful

Todd Zucker
01-07-2024, 11:09 PM
Nice work! Really nice shop in addition to the Roubo.

Bryan Hall
01-10-2024, 3:01 AM
Looks great! I bet you're loving using it.

Jon Grider
01-10-2024, 12:02 PM
Nice! Who wouldn't be happy to use that bench and proud to have built it!

John TenEyck
01-20-2024, 9:45 AM
Seriously? Who would actually use that bench. It's a work of art. But I see you don't actually use your shop anyway, so it's all good. I'm mean, really, not a spec of sawdust anywhere.

Congrats on such a beautiful bench.

John

Mark Rainey
01-21-2024, 3:24 PM
Bryan, a spectacular bench! Thanks for posting. As a general comment I believe it takes courage for members to post in Woodworking Projects. I ask that all commenters be respectful and supportive of fellow members. Let's support one another.

Ron Selzer
01-21-2024, 6:22 PM
Bryan, a spectacular bench! Thanks for posting. As a general comment I believe it takes courage for members to post in Woodworking Projects. I ask that all commenters be respectful and supportive of fellow members. Let's support one another.

Thank you Mark. I totally agree
Ron

John TenEyck
01-21-2024, 7:54 PM

Mark, if your comment was meant for me, you totally missed the intended humor. Hopefully, the OP did not.

John

Mark Rainey
01-21-2024, 8:16 PM
Mark, if your comment was meant for me, you totally missed the intended humor. Hopefully, the OP did not.

John

John, thanks for the response. My issue is that it is intimidating for many to post pics of their finished work in the Woodworking Projects section. And sometimes comments ( from you, me, or others ) can unintentionally be taken the wrong way. Intended humor on forums can be confusing. In any event, I appreciate your expertise on this forum. And perhaps there should be a "please critique" label that is optional for posters in the Woodworking Project section - that would be a daring label for those who want really honest feedback.

Todd Zucker
01-21-2024, 11:51 PM
I took John’s comment as a compliment. I wish my shop looked that nice.

John TenEyck
01-22-2024, 1:26 PM
John, thanks for the response. My issue is that it is intimidating for many to post pics of their finished work in the Woodworking Projects section. And sometimes comments ( from you, me, or others ) can unintentionally be taken the wrong way. Intended humor on forums can be confusing. In any event, I appreciate your expertise on this forum. And perhaps there should be a "please critique" label that is optional for posters in the Woodworking Project section - that would be a daring label for those who want really honest feedback.

I get your point, Mark. I have often been hesitant to post pictures of projects that I thought wouldn't meet "the standard" of many projects that people show here. On the other hand, woodworking is like golf. As frustrating as it can be, it also can be enjoyed at most any level of skill.

Regardless, that is one beautiful workbench the OP posted, one he should be justifiably proud of. I did not mean to diminish his accomplishment in any way.

John

Bob Riefer
01-28-2024, 10:04 AM
(John - I understood you were being humorous, and think other will have too)

Bryan - Beautiful job and great shop too! I built this bench about 5 years back and have just been happier and happier with it's functionality over time. Great both both machine-based, and hand tool work.

A couple learnings on my side that might help you as you break it in...

1. Go ahead and get the first ding or spill on it... it's gonna happen, but I promise it simply adds patina. (at least that's what I tell myself)

2. I had a bank of shelves laying around that I quickly cut to size and put underneath the bench... without thinking about how hold downs might bump into them. Had to remove the shelves, shorten them, and reinstall.

3. The raise/lower center stop (or at least, my initial execution of it) is not that useful for how I work. Most of the time, I prefer the opening - so handy for clamping. When installed and in the down position, there's a valley between the two table halves, and stuff falls between still... and I rarely use the up position because I prefer to simply place a block wherever needed and use hold downs. I plan to make a solid version that simply is flush between the two tops for times when I want a no-gap bench top.

4. Whenever I'm re-waxing something else... I give a quick scuff sand to the bench and give it a coat too. Glue drips are rare on this bench (because I glue up elsewhere primarily) but those that do occur scrape right off without damage.