PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of Walabot?

Frederick Skelly
01-06-2024, 7:19 PM
I saw a commercial for this thing - looks like a new kind of stud finder. I got interested because I sometimes struggle to locate studs. I can’t tell if this is just “a better mousetrap” or if they’re on to something here. Link (http://walabot.com). It runs around $200, which is pretty dang pricey for a stud finder. (Edit. They claim it can detect 4” behind drywall- I wonder if it could find a nail in a piece of salvaged wood?)

What do you folks make of it?
Has anyone tried it?

I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you,
Fred

Aaron Inami
01-06-2024, 7:47 PM
I actually had this on my list because it 'looked like it works great". However, the Amazon listing for this actually warns people that "this is a frequently returned item". The reviews are very mixed. Based on comments, it appears that Walabot came out with a "gen 2" product that just is not as good as the original Walabot. I have no idea if this is true.

https://www.amazon.com/Walabot-Advanced-Detector-Compatible-Carrying/dp/B0BV4MLLSQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

I just used my new Franklin M210 stud finder this weekend for a garage shelving project mounting to about 9 different studs:

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-ProSensor-M210/dp/B0917VXLDK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

The Franklin was just awsome! This was so much better than my other two Zircon stud finders that were unpredictable and didn't always find the studs. The Franklin "just works"!

Jeff Clode
01-07-2024, 11:41 AM
I don’t know about the Walabot either but I second Aaron’s comments on the Franklin ( I got the model just below his but it works very well compared to my older Zircon )
Jeff

Dan Barber
01-07-2024, 11:48 AM
I have the Franklin too. Agreed that it is so much better than the Zicron's.
Dan

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2024, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys!

Tom Bender
01-14-2024, 7:14 AM
Walabot? sounds like some kind of Australian wood

I'm thinking that these devices use ultrasound to form images instead of the old way of seeking nailheads with magnets.

I need one about 3 times in a decade so not on my shopping list, but worth every penny to a frequent user.

glenn bradley
01-14-2024, 10:24 AM
So someone wrote software that takes signals from the sensor and creates a picture. Cool idea as long as you remember you are not actually seeing what is in the wall, just the software's response to it. I too run a Franklin model . . . uh . . . A200?, M201?, 200 series anyway. It is the first one I have owned in decades that is really reliable for finding wooden studs. That is all I use it for so that is all I can comment on. The Walabot looks like fun but I don't know that it is worth 4 times the cost of a known-good stud finder. Your use case will determine that.

Steve Demuth
01-14-2024, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking that these devices use ultrasound to form images instead of the old way of seeking nailheads with magnets.

Radar (radio waves), actually.

Bill Dufour
01-14-2024, 1:45 PM
Horrible Fright sells thats stud sensor, in store, for about 1/2 of amazon's price. Works great.\
Bill D

Aaron Inami
01-14-2024, 5:19 PM
Horrible Fright sells thats stud sensor, in store, for about 1/2 of amazon's price. Works great.\
Bill D

Harbor Freight sells the M150 model for $35. Amazon has this same model for $40 (more, but not much more). The model I referenced above is longer (8" vs 5.3") and also has a bubble level as well a an electrical wire sensor. That's what the double-cost pays for.

Aaron Inami
01-14-2024, 6:15 PM
The cool thing about the Franklin is if you have two studs close to each other, the Franklin will show both at the same time:

Earl McLain
01-15-2024, 7:12 AM
If i understand the Walabot's method of functioning--I don't think i'd be fond of the stud sensor in one hand, cell phone in the other then trying to figure out how to get my pencil from my pocket and into my mouth to try to mark the center of the stud. I have enough trouble sitting at my desk and typing in the multi-factor-authentication number from my phone into my laptop.

My old Zircon has been around for over 40 years--and has gotten a little erratic, so i'm liking what the Franklin posted looks like--especially living in a 1920 built house with lath & plaster walls. Not to mention that the last 2 times i needed it, i couldn't find it...not the Zircon's fault though. May be time to order the replacement.

Frederick Skelly
01-15-2024, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the additional thoughts, guys!