PDA

View Full Version : Curly maple and Peruvian walnut Critique requested

Brian Brown
01-05-2024, 11:37 PM
Ok, this is unusual for me. I like the look of leaf platters, but my piece of curly maple was deeper than the usual leaf platter. I can't bring myself to waste curly maple, so i went for a deeper bowl. I call this a Viking bowl because I don't know what else to call it, and it looks a little like a Viking long boat. I am not sure what to think about this one. One day I like it, and the next I think it looks ridiculous. My wife is not crazy about it, and she is usually right when it comes the the arty stuff. I would like a critique. Please be brutal. If you think it, say it. It won't bother me, and I'll probably learn something good. Maybe I can make a new one that looks better. By the way, I won't use P walnut anymore for anything where the walnut is "structural". Here that means the base, and the wood to join the two pieces. P walnut is almost as strong as balsa wood, but not quite. This thing is fragile.

Patrick McCarthy
01-06-2024, 1:28 AM
Brian, i am not an artsy type of guy, but i really like it. I think it is quite attractive and visually very appealing.

Bryan Hall
01-06-2024, 1:42 AM
Pretty piece, strong distaste for the knots, looks more museum than home use. Looks well built.

John Keeton
01-06-2024, 5:18 AM
Brian, I am going to take a risky position here and openly disagree with your wife. I like the piece. It has good form, nice curves and I love the contrast of the two woods as well as the shape of the walnut inset. It has a very modernistic feel about it and I believe it would do well in the right gallery. I would have preferred to see the base/stand have a curvature that replicated the bowl. The curve on it isn’t actually consistent, but that is a very minor complaint. Well done!!!

Bill Howatt
01-06-2024, 9:17 AM
It looks absolutely stunning and I'd be happy to have it on my shelf and say I made it! I will agree the knots are a little unfortunate.
It also has Viking horns as well as the longboat :)

Tony Joyce
01-06-2024, 9:30 AM
While not qualified to critique anyone's turnings. I know what i like and I like this piece. It is different than anything I've seen before.
I really like the woods and the design. Well done!

Edward Weber
01-06-2024, 4:55 PM
Brian, I am going to take a risky position here and openly disagree with your wife. I like the piece. It has good form, nice curves and I love the contrast of the two woods as well as the shape of the walnut inset. It has a very modernistic feel about it and I believe it would do well in the right gallery. I would have preferred to see the base/stand have a curvature that replicated the bowl. The curve on it isn’t actually consistent, but that is a very minor complaint. Well done!!!

I agree with all the above,
I find the proportions to be well done and nothing is over accentuated.
A very cohesive piece.

Mel Fulks
01-06-2024, 5:29 PM
Like this ! It’s ancient ships with space-age trim ! Helen would have been glad to be taken aboard !

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2024, 5:53 PM
Brian, I like it! The contrasting woods with the grain in the curly maple and the Peruvian walnut play beautifully together! I agree with John Keeton, the base could have used a minor form change but as he said that's minor! I like the overall form except as I noted. Well done, Sir!

Thomas Wilson80
01-06-2024, 8:32 PM
I like it a lot. How did you turn the maple? Did you just cut portions from a larger bowl? I’ve never tried anything like that but looks fun.
Tom

Brian Brown
01-07-2024, 1:06 AM
That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.

Brian Brown
01-07-2024, 1:08 AM
Tom,

Where are you at in Utah? I'm down in the Layton area a lot for family stuff.

Thomas Wilson80
01-07-2024, 5:03 PM
That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I’m just south of Provo - just moved here from Chicago a couple years ago. A lot less hardwoods here in the desert compared to the Midwest, though our monthly turners club meetings are at craft supplies which is pretty cool.

Tom

Greg Parrish
01-07-2024, 5:56 PM
I like it too. Very nicely composed, good color contrasts and not the same ole same ole. Agree with above comments that it looks like a museum piece. Thanks for sharing! :)