PDA

View Full Version : Delta scroll saw

Mark Gibney
01-05-2024, 10:56 PM
A friend gave me an older Delta 18" variable speed scroll saw.
I have never used them in my work, so I offered it to a friend who is also a woodworker.
He said he has one already and it's invaluable on those occasions he needs it.
Got me thinking that MAYBE I could use this machine in the future but for the life of me I can't see what I'd use it for. I don't do marquetry, for instance, or other small intricate work.

Is there something this saw is good at that I don't even know?
My work is mostly furniture and built-ins. I make small boxes as gifts, too, but my tastes run more to the simple and unadorned.

Thank you for any opinion you can offer. Mark

Cameron Wood
01-05-2024, 11:04 PM
I just read an old FWW article about dovetails on the table saw. the author used a scroll saw to cut the waste between the tails.

Richard Coers
01-05-2024, 11:18 PM
Do some marquetry in the lids of your boxes.

Ron Citerone
01-06-2024, 8:02 AM
If you make boxes for kids as gifts, they love their initials or animals or sports logos cut out in contrasting colors that are attached.

If you have kids or grandkids it could be a fun thing to do together. Making wooden banks is a book with some nice ideas and kids love coin banks.

Rich Engelhardt
01-06-2024, 8:16 AM
Head on over to the Scrollsaw Workshop (https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2024/01/magazine-box-and-basket-scroll-saw.html) for some ideas.

Most of the stuff there is something I'll never do - I don't have the patience for it - but they do have some pretty basic things and the people on the forum are extremely helpful.

I use mine to make small templates for use with my Daisy Pin Router.

Mark Gibney
01-06-2024, 9:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think this confirms that a scroll saw is not something I will use enough to keep in the shop.

Ron Citerone
01-06-2024, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think this confirms that a scroll saw is not something I will use enough to keep in the shop.

I hear you. The price is right for sure but if you don't have a use for it and no room to store it......................