PDA

View Full Version : Lathe stand?

George Conklin
02-05-2006, 11:37 AM
A co-workers son is getting into turning and received a Delta Midi w/ extension for Christmas. The young man is recovering from a surgury so as of yet has not been able to use the lathe. I offered to build him a stand for his new toy.

I thought I had seen on this forum, a little while back, pictures of a stand that resembled a carpenters saw horse, but on larger scale. I tried doing a search, but came up short.

Would you guys mind posting some pictures of your "non-factory" stands I could use for inspiation/ideas?

Thanks for your help.

George

Jim Dunn
02-05-2006, 11:50 AM
George, my stand is built on a design in Shop Notes Issue 10 Vol. 2 dated 1993. The only thing I'd change is add the tool holder, it's in the plans and I chose not to do it at the time I built it, and put it on movable base like a cabinet saw.

Jim

John Hart
02-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Here's some pics from when my shop was clean. I used the same method for all my benches....Those HD 2X4 Angle Bench Building Things. Then just made my own benchtops by laminating cut-up 2X4s into a sort of butcher block type of thing. They've held up pretty good.

Bob Noles
02-05-2006, 3:16 PM
George,

Here is a link to the one I built that has some saw horse style to it. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=264893#post264893

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 4:22 PM
Would you guys mind posting some pictures of your "non-factory" stands I could use for inspiation/ideas?
George
Don't know how inspiring this will be...but this is what I did today. I just got a DVR XP for my birthday and had to build a bench. I wanted to make is as heavy as possible so I made it with 4x's, 2x's and 3/4 sheet stock. I also wanted to make it with cavities for bags of sand. This is it with all the rough work...squared...level and loaded with more than 400 lbs of sand. Every space was built for holding sand...and for making it easier (?) to come apart if we move. DRLOML and I put the DVR on the top and decided...it was refreshment time...so it's not mounted. I intend to finish the front, build the draws and mount the little 200 pound back breaking sucker this week.

John Hart
02-05-2006, 4:26 PM
Cool Glenn!!!! Looks like you're almost ready to fire that thing up!! It really needs to be dirty. They're happy that way. ;) :)

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 4:37 PM
Ya John...I know...I can't wait. I wanted to mount it and get it spinning but the DrNurse said I needed to take a break...and a bath :eek: .
I'm also deciding whether to make it 220...or 110. I only have one more slot in the panel. I think I need to start a new thread.

Ron Fritz
02-05-2006, 5:51 PM
Here's a quick, easy stand I made from 2x4s with a couple of drawers and a cabinet. Very solid and cheap.

Dick Parr
02-05-2006, 5:57 PM
George here is what I have for my Jet Mini Lathe Set-Up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12010

Michael Stafford
02-05-2006, 6:18 PM
Glenn, just a thought. I have a Nova as well. One thing I might recommend is putting the lathe on pads, wooden or otherwise, to raise it off the table top and make it easier to clean out chips that accumulate between the ways. Of course if it is already at the correct turning height for you that is not an option. Just a thought.....

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 7:13 PM
Mike...Got ya. Carole already pass that one on to me. I'm heading toward the high end of height because of the old back. I can always stand on a thicker horse pad, eh?

Jim Dunn
02-05-2006, 9:44 PM
Hey Glenn it's a little late now but I was gonna suggest that you cut slots in the top between the ways and make a dust/chip collection system in your lathe bench. It would not only work for only those chips that fell between the ways but would work for the dust from sanding too.

I think Andy suggested that you not hook up a dust collection system to a lathe because of the large amount of chips. But I figured if you put a cyclone 30 gallon can in front of the DC it would not be so bad.

Maybe some body else can use this suggestion. If they do I'd like to see it in action.

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Glenn - Setting up a DC to catch chips is wasted effort. Chips will fly in every conceivable direction which would require "one rather unique hood". That in turn would require one massive blower to pull enough air to catch chips.

Just let the chips fly. Get a broom, a grain shovel, a barrel, and trash bags. Five minutes of clean up and you're done.

Nor do you want to sweep shavings into a floor sweep connected to the DC. Unless you like to roto-rooter your lines all the time.

But sanding is a whole different story. Shop Vacs and DCs work great for this.

Also suggest you invest in one of those basic 24" fans that look like R2D2. Mounted mine on the ceiling. Here's a pic of my set up.