PDA

View Full Version : helping a widow

richard shelby
01-05-2024, 5:54 AM
Her late husband was a "collector" and a dreamer, so now her basement is filled with his "shop" and she would like to have her basement back. She is unable to sell online and would really like to have someone take the stuff as a lot. The shop contains lots of high end equipment i.e. tablesaws, bandsaws, dust collectors, planers, sanders hand tools, misc. powertools, clamps, etc. This would be a start for a cabinet shop once the dust is blown off. She has asked me for help but I don't know the best place to advertise this lot or who to contact to dispose of the lot. Any advice? She is in Alabama.. Thanks, Richard.

Lisa Starr
01-05-2024, 6:05 AM
Several years ago I purchased something very similar from a "friend" whose father had passed away. I moved everything to a heated storage unit and then sorted thru it. Some smaller items (marking gauge, dowel jig, Woodpecker Square) I added to my own shop. The large equipment I sold locally on FB/CL. The remaining items I sold primarily here. It was a modestly profitable exercise, if you don't count my time. More importantly, I helped move some nice tools on for others to enjoy.

If you're not up for something like that, expect that a "lot" sale will bring a heavily discounted price.

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2024, 7:02 AM
I like the idea of an auction with a good auctioneer that knows tool prices and has a large following. we have one here that his auctions always seem to bring in a lot of people and high sales prices.

Stan Calow
01-05-2024, 9:03 AM
I've come across this situation at least twice while out garage sailing. I agree a reputable auctioneer who knows how and where to advertise to woodworkers, would be best. Its too hard for a widow to try and sell things piece by piece, especially if you don't have an idea of what things are worth, are not a good salesperson, and down want a bunch of creepy old men coming in your house. But one option is to contact the nearest woodworkers club and see if they'd be interested in helping or at least estimating value.

Jim Becker
01-05-2024, 9:24 AM
You already have a thread on this active in General Woodworking and Power Tools with more than one page of replies.

Jim
Forum Moderator