PDA

View Full Version : if you want to get confused

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 1:31 PM
Ive paid attention to diet stuff over the years and more and more its gets more confusing. Last night went from the benefits of pumpkin seeds to the next video gundry saying they are evil.

Weeks back three friends said they had prostate cancer or enlarged. There are you tubes that say dont eat tomatoes nightshade family and have this in them then same time there are other you tubes that say testing has proven they lower the risk of prostate cancer.

Even saw one saying Kale was evil so I should be dead by now. This might be my last post, I can hear a few of you clapping.

All these guys know their stuff and are experts but the fact is they have never contradicted each other more.

Up to now been steel cut oats with hulled and raw sunflower seeds added and cinnamon then covered in frozen blue berries every day then Milk on top. I think gundry has said not to eat oatmeal if not him then others and likely not to have milk. Do have one friend who years ago said he didnt drink milk and his reasons why.

Starting tomorrow im going on a strike sawdust diet. I will skip pressure treated though.

Pat Germain
01-03-2024, 2:01 PM
I hear you. I wouldn't put much stock into those YouTube videos. They are intended to get views and nothing more; definitely sensationalism over science.

I've been following the subject of diet for decades. One consistency which comes up again and again is that a Mediterranean diet is healthy for most anyone. I would really like to focus on such a diet, but Mrs. Pat absolutely refuses to eat most of those foods. No onion, no mushrooms, no olives, nothing other than white bread and no seafood of any kind. Hard to eat healthy by myself when I live with someone else.

Mark Hennebury
01-03-2024, 2:03 PM
Hahaha, I will give you some good advice,

Eat whatever you want,
drink lots of good red wine ( no Merlot) and good beer ( not that crap made by 12 year old kids, that taste like grapefruit juice with Citra hops)
Don't, whatever you do, drink Water! it is a breeding ground for every disease on the planet. Think about it it is just recycled dinosaur piss.
Give up all that "healthy" crap, it will kill you.
Stay away from hospitals and doctors, they will kill faster than poison will.
If you have to go to the hospital for an operation, take a lawyer with you.

anyway, it's beer-o-clock, gotta run.

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 2:17 PM
thanks very good Mark

A neighbour always drank in his garage and odd time when cutting the lawn roped me in. I stopped drinking beer then realized it was his crap canadian beer from a big conglomerate. Over the holidays a friend was here from Luxemberg so I picked up several different German beers Edinger and and. Enjoyed them all.

Friends mom was a nurse and warned him to stay away from hospitals. Right now morale has never been worse. One of our esteemed leaders thought what can I do to buy votes leaders and choose to not charge us and even refund us for license plates. The billions saved could have gone to nurses and health care and Long Term and important things we will and do need from time to time. enough have quit the profession and enough are thinking about it.

On the water there is the whole flouride thing so im so dumb downed now I think a craftsman radial arm is a high end tool. Every time I think of tap water I think of what its made from and its more than just dinasour piss in there. Even my neighbours contributed. They do water testing in lakes and find all kinds of stuff like whatever drugs people are on. One friend who has done tons of work in Haiti a past toronto Fireman once told me to at least drink water and I got it. He knew I worked long hours at times and didnt take the time to eat so least water sustains us. now though from your dinasour comment im a bit concerned. :)

Oh and white bread is crap I remember years ago say 30 or more a guy saying he didnt eat bread as it was too high on the glycemic index. I get there are some good breads around. Other bread you have to "Wonder" what value it has. Find myself looking at the grocery store at what people are eating. There are so many overweight people here. Now I see people in their 20's already overweight. In school young there was maybe one person or two in the whole school. Welcome to the world of ultra processed food and sitting on our butts. At least we were out playing road hockey as soon as we got home from school.

Stan Calow
01-03-2024, 2:23 PM
Warren, just don't eat walnut sawdust.

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 2:33 PM
Thanks Stan for the care. I learned from Darrell and his other brother Darrell that the "f" was not right.

What if their parents named them both Darrell and Darrel and they were identical twins.

George Yetka
01-03-2024, 3:13 PM
Warren, just don't eat walnut sawdust.

But then are you really living?

"Everything in moderation" Is the only thing I trust to be fact when it comes to doctor recommendations.

Tom M King
01-03-2024, 3:32 PM
Diets are what people think about the first week of the new year. I decided that was too much of a waste of time, so I limited thinking about it to before breakfast on the first.

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 3:44 PM
Im not normal people Tom im like you in some ways and others id like to be. Likely ive eaten most different sawdust now for many years. had to at times get a mask out if my nose was bleeding like from some Mahoganies.

Ive been paying attention to food for some amount for many years and dont eat the crap that some eat cause it has no value other than to the company making crap and there are enough that do. No reason other than for money and they still find an audience for it.

No new years resolutions either. Same as christmas all of a sudden being nice to people doesnt fly its a full time job not a few days of the year.

Jim Koepke
01-03-2024, 3:45 PM
One of my favorite quotes on being confused:

jtk

Patty Hann
01-03-2024, 3:45 PM
But then are you really living?

"Everything in moderation" Is the only thing I trust to be fact when it comes to doctor recommendations.

'Zactly.... I eat Oreos; But I don't eat the whole package.
I agree with the Mediterranean Diet, tho'.
I like almost everything in it and I'm sure it has helped keep all my "test scores" where they should be, not to mention my weight (well ,maybe not quite where it should be :rolleyes:, but within 10 lbs :)) .

George Yetka
01-03-2024, 3:57 PM
'Zactly.... I eat Oreos; But I don't eat the whole package.
I agree with the Mediterranean Diet, tho'.
I like almost everything in it and I'm sure it has helped keep all my "test scores" where they should be, not to mention my weight (well ,maybe not quite where it should be :rolleyes:, but within 10 lbs :)) .

3 sittings like me? they come in 3 rows that has to be for a reason.:)

Edward Weber
01-03-2024, 4:02 PM
Don't eat crap
Burn as much as you put in
Stay reasonably active
Everything else is just BS
JMHO

Kent A Bathurst
01-03-2024, 4:04 PM

Do do realize, of course, that "everything" by definition includes moderation.

So, dont' go overboard with this moderation schtick.

Patty Hann
01-03-2024, 4:17 PM
3 sittings like me? they come in 3 rows that has to be for a reason.:)

Six a day... max.
But see, that's only Oreos.
There's 6 max per day of Fig Newtons, 6 max of Windmill cookies, 6 max of Ginger Snaps .. (shall I go on? :D....)

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 4:28 PM
guess it depends on your Oreos. A friend used to have cows that were black on both ends and white in the middle. He called them Oreos.

They had fur and think originally from Scotland.

Waynes father said if its not Scottish then its Crrrrraaap.

Patty Hann
01-03-2024, 4:29 PM
Don't eat crap
Stay reasonably active
Everything else is just BS
JMHO

A woman who was ... umm pretty hefty, shall we say..., asked me how I kept my weight down.
My reply: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

And she looked at me, and said, "Well, other than all that what do you do?"

Me: "There is no 'other than that'. What I told you, that's it; the only way to get control of it, that's what you have to do."

And to paraphrase from the Bible: "And the woman went away sad."

Jim Koepke
01-03-2024, 4:52 PM
A woman who was ... umm pretty hefty, shall we say..., asked me how I kept my weight down.

My last year of college I needed a Health Science class for my degree. One that appealed to me was Weight Control Through Diet & Exercise.

The main point of the class was what a person eats and how their body is used consumes it will determine that body's physical condition.

jtk

Patty Hann
01-03-2024, 5:05 PM
My last year of college I needed a Health Science class for my degree. One that appealed to me was Weight Control Through Diet & Exercise.

The main point of the class was what a person eats and how their body is used consumes it will determine that body's physical condition.

jtk
Yep and metabolism too... and "body type" has something a lot to do with it.. and genes too.
It's not easy keeping one's weight down, and God knows it gets more difficult the older you get, but you have to start somewhere, and you have to keep at it.
I know most people here have seen this: "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."
I can't keep from getting old, but I'm going to do all that I can to keep from becoming decrepit.

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 5:11 PM
likely more to it than that. Stress for some and Cortisol. Menopause for some a reality and whatever else.

The old guy said he never needed to make exercise. I told him he had great genetics but he still needed exercise. At 84 he walked like an old man. His sons did the work around the shop and farm. My neighbour a lady cares for her property and at 92 1/2 still walks better than he did. She works on her property and has since she lost her husband. Well ahead of most people her age from the work.

Old guy was fit and strong from plowing fields and other farm work likely at 12 -14 years old whatever age it was. He was very powerful. Then we get older and its more and more important to keep moving and doing. I bugged him for years that he would not shake hands and squeeze me hard like some ego people do. He told me its cause he would crush me. Days before he died he held out his hand and told me to squeeze and he did as hard as he could. He had no power left but remembered and showed me.

Bruce Wrenn
01-03-2024, 8:23 PM
Following all advices, "If it tastes good, spit it out! When you were a child, four letter words were dirty words. When you are past forty, three letter words are dirty words, but they do come in a group of three. ALL YOU CAN EAT! Used to be that every waitress at any buffet with in twenty miles knew my name. Having lost 42 pounds over the last six years, I can tell you moderation is the best diet. Best summation ever, eat moderately, exercise regularly, and get run over by the bus.

Alan Rutherford
01-03-2024, 9:17 PM

Or don't put in more than you can burn. Exercise is a lousy way to lose weight, compared to not eating it in the first place.

Patty Hann
01-03-2024, 9:46 PM
Following all advices, "If it tastes good, spit it out! When you were a child, four letter words were dirty words. When you are past forty, three letter words are dirty words, but they do come in a group of three. ALL YOU CAN EAT! Used to be that every waitress at any buffet with in twenty miles knew my name. Having lost 42 pounds over the last six years, I can tell you moderation is the best diet. Best summation ever, eat moderately, exercise regularly, and get run over by the bus.

I saw it on a T-shirt: Eat Right. Exercise. Die anyway.

Pat Germain
01-03-2024, 10:16 PM
Or don't put in more than you can burn. Exercise is a lousy way to lose weight, compared to not eating it in the first place.

It's a little more complicated. Exercise improves muscle tone which inreases resting metabolism which burns calories at a higher rate. Exercise also lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, increases mental well being and lots of other stuff. But yeah, if you run or walk in front of a bus, it's not very healthy at all.

Warren Lake
01-03-2024, 10:35 PM
I watched more you tubes and it only got worse five in a row why oatmeal is bad starting with gundry and all I put on bad. Ive eaten it for 36 years here every day. Few times a year go for bacon and eggs and am in heaven. Im 155 and can lift one side of my combination machine that weighs 1,280 lbs. All these guys are tanned some body builders perfect hair and neatly trimmed beards some in suits and ties and and. I did see one oatmeal guy call out another for stuff he says and basically said the other guy is full of it. some or more are doctors as well.

Its just about not worth the time to pay attention. One customer from the music store when I was a kid said forget about stuff drink beer and be happy. While I got message it it was too simple and he never said what kind of beer.

Going out to throw in more firewood, will watch out for the buss.

Ron Citerone
01-03-2024, 10:35 PM
It's a little more complicated. Exercise improves muscle tone which inreases resting metabolism which burns calories at a higher rate. Exercise also lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, increases mental well being and lots of other stuff. But yeah, if you run or walk in front of a bus, it's not very healthy at all.

And if you run 30 minutes a day you live 3 years longer but you spend 2 years of it running!

Alan Rutherford
01-04-2024, 8:31 AM

I'm not saying exercise is bad for you. I'm saying it's a lousy way to lose weight and the research shows that. Diets alone aren't much better. Losing weight is tough for people. I'm in the age group where you really find out what's been working for people and what catches up with you. Not that that bus doesn't come along sooner or later.

Edward Weber
01-04-2024, 9:32 AM
Just to add to the confusion, what works for one person, does not always work for another.
So when you get diet/exercise advise, know it's probably not right for you, because it wasn't tailored for you.
Eating healthy and staying active are good foundations but beyond that, everyone has to follow what their own body needs.

Jerry Thompson
01-04-2024, 9:32 AM
"All these guys know their stuff and are experts but the fact is they have never contradicted each other more."
An "Expert is anyone from out of town with video presentation."

Pat Germain
01-04-2024, 10:13 AM
Again, those YouTube videos have nothing to do with science. There's always some "evil" those people are focusing on. If it's not oatmeal it's corn syrup.

What's becoming apparent is strength training is more important than cardio. I think that's why so many people struggle with losing weight doing cardio. It's much better to lift weights and do a little less cardio. Of course, one must be sensible about it. Lift something heavy, but not so heavy that it's going to hurt you.

What adds to the confusion is the fact there's no real money to be made from people eating healthy and exercising. People will pay big money to lose weight, so companies are happy to sell them snake oil and mythology. Sometimes it actually works, albeit only temporarily. So people buy more snake oil and embrace more myths.

Still more confusion comes from what we were told in school. All those Food Pyramids had more to do with corporate lobbying than science. The first pyramids didn't have enough dairy, so the National Dairy Council was sure to fix that. Then the ranchers wanted the meat block to be bigger, etc., etc. Shoot, over the years I learned almost everything I was taught in school is completely bogus. George Washington didn't chop down a cherry tree. Betsy Ross didn't make the first American flag. Paul Revere's ride was nothing like the poem describes. And Columbus was a pretty evil guy. No wonder we're so cynical.

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 11:31 AM
I said: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

I didn't say WHAT to EAT, or WHAT PORTION to eat, or WHAT EXERCISE to do for 30 minutes.
Obviously those three things have to be tailored to the individual.

But I can promise you that if you eat and drink nothing but fat laden, salt laden, simple carbs and red meat/cured [deli] meat, drink noting but soda and/or beer, and the only thing that gets you off the couch is walking to the refrigerator, (and unless you are the very rare person whose genetics make you near indestructible) you are going to have health problems, that you might have avoided.
And since no one has a crystal ball relative their future health, why not err on the side of doing what is better for you and hope that it pays dividends down the road.

George Yetka
01-04-2024, 11:39 AM
Do do realize, of course, that "everything" by definition includes moderation.

So, dont' go overboard with this moderation schtick.

See theres always a contradiction, now wheres my tequila.

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 11:45 AM
See theres always a contradiction, now wheres my tequila.
Don't forget the slice of lime.... your daily serving of fruit, you know...;)

Pat Germain
01-04-2024, 11:47 AM
I said: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

I didn't say WHAT I eat, or WHAT PORTION to eat, or WHAT exercise to do for 30 minutes.
Obviously those three things have to be tailored to the individual.

But I can promise you that if you eat and drink nothing but fat laden, salt laden, simple carbs and red meat/cured [deli] meat, drink noting but soda and/or beer, and the only thing that gets you off the couch is walking to the refrigerator, (and unless you are the very rare person whose genetics make you near indestructible) you are going to have health problems, that you might have avoided.
And since no one has a crystal ball relative their future health, why not err on the side of doing what is better for you and hope that it pays dividends down the road.

When I was in the Navy, I was surrounded by guys who ate nothing but meat and potatoes and drank nothing but coffee, beer and whiskey. Most, but not all, smoked like houses on fire. These guys didn't even sleep. They were so hopped up on coffee they never slept. The chain smokers could only lay in their racks for a little while before they had to get up and have another cigarette.

When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys.

They would laugh off any mention of eating healthy, quitting smoking or exercising. "Bunch of effin' BS" would be the typical response. When they finally retired, they were lucky to collect two or three retirement checks before being found dead in an easy chair. What a life.

Jim Becker
01-04-2024, 11:54 AM
I do all the cooking and food prep in our home and have for quite a few years now. (Professor Dr. SWMBO can't at this point due to a medical issue) Since we moved here to our "downsize" and a true empty nest...not including the birds and dog...I've had to adapt to "cooking for two" most of the time which honestly, was difficult at first. I'm getting there, however, and I'm very invested in being careful about "what" I make and "how much" I serve. (I plate every meal...there is no "family style" here, even for whole family meals) Both Professor Dr. SWMBO and I have benefited from the smaller portions and less dependency on every meal having "meat" in it. That, combined with staying active...not formal exercise, but less sitting around...has benefitted us both. She is down about 40 lbs; some due to her medical issue and some of which can be attributed to the change in the meals and the exercise she's getting with Oliver the dog. I only lost 10-12, especially during the shop build, but gained back five. So I have some work to do on the activity side this year.

Relative to all the videos referenced as the subject of this thread....I don't watch them nor will I. I'm married to an actual scientist. While I appreciate and even trust some woodworkers on the 'Tube, there's nothing to see in all the click-bait videos about this and that "health" content creators. I have no confusion about that at all. :D

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 11:56 AM
When I was in the Navy, I was surrounded by guys who ate nothing but meat and potatoes and drank nothing but coffee, beer and whiskey. Most, but not all, smoked like houses on fire. These guys didn't even sleep. They were so hopped up on coffee they never slept. The chain smokers could only lay in their racks for a little while before they had to get up and have another cigarette.

When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys.

They would laugh off any mention of eating healthy, quitting smoking or exercising. "Bunch of effin' BS" would be the typical response. When they finally retired, they were lucky to collect two or three retirement checks before being found dead in an easy chair. What a life.

Sad but true... A lot of the CPO's I saw while I was in looked like Sgt Snorkle

Pat Germain
01-04-2024, 11:58 AM
^^ Well said, Jim. Mrs. Pat and I should work on emulating your example.

Warren Lake
01-04-2024, 12:21 PM
what set me off was a gundry you tube a day or two old on Lectins. Used to make chile and live on it maybe five beans. He goes into the story about how the beans have poison as they dont want us to eat them. Hes a renowed heart surgeon and info I would think is exact. Then on that or another it was Oatmeal is evil. Considering ive done 36 years on it almost every day I watched some of it and it just went on a got worse. I hobby jogged for 40 plus years then let it go for knees to go easier. I think the bit of knee stuff I had was from doing several roofs and the twisting and sideways walking.

The you tubes just left me confused. In my trade I can see past stuff some say as ive done this long enough. The diet stuff its just gets into things I dont know. Never drank pop but in one job lots of orange juice. That stopped when I heard about sugar levels and dont miss it all. Orange every day then sporadic grapefruit pomagranite and other.

There is a whole group of them., I ate eggs for 30 days this is what happened to me and and and. most of these guys to me are more credible than some of you tube woodworkers., At least they have degrees or MD credentials or the you tube says they do.

When mom was near the end did many trips picking up one fast food place on the drive. All back roads no traffic eat to save some time 2 hours each way. In two weeks of that same food once a day I looked like shit. I dont need a you tube guy I saw what happened. So thats a no brainer for me i did the test only wasnt doing a test just trying to save time to be with mom.

I used to listen to Coast to Coast late night and they had Wallack on. He had answers for all stuff and seemed he sold supplements for all of it so stopped listening. There was a pharmacist on same time and he covered some same but his answers or solutions were in different foods and it was easier for me to accept that. Im not a bottle vitamin guy or supplement guy as much as people have given me stuff over the years. All out of care and sure there were some good things in there.

On the excercise things never been to a gym. I do know that when I ran there were many times it be the day after and id think I feel good today then realize I ran the day before or jogged better term. Almost all the time one jog and I felt better than usual for two days after. There is something to it and I dont need to read I know it worked.

Pat Germain
01-04-2024, 12:43 PM
Sad but true... A lot of the CPO's I saw while I was in looked like Sgt Snorkle Didn't know you're a Navy vet, Patty. Cool!

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 12:49 PM
You don't even need to run.
I can, but shouldn't (unless as my Doc says, "someone is chasing you").
Knees are good, hips are good, feet are good, back... not so good.
Actually the back (with bi-lateral hardware L5-S1) is fine, as long as I don't do certain things, like run.
Anyway, walking is just as good if not better than running.
At a brisk walk 3-4 mph you burn almost as many calories as with casual running (not talking sprinting) and the very good thing about it is that it is low-impact.
I try to walk at least 2 miles, 3 times a week.. usually it's closer to 3 miles, 3 times a week.
If the field gate is open, I walk up and down the bleachers at the local high school once a week (42 steps x 7)

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Didn't know you're a Navy vet, Patty. Cool!
HAHA... read the "About me" in my profile.
But the details not mentioned...
1973-1979 2nd Class PO.. rating ETN (ET Comm.. ETR was ET Radar).
Duty Stations: Basic at Orlando (now closed),
ET "A" school (1 year) Great Lakes
ET "C" (Crypto) 3 months Mare Island (now closed IIRC)
More Crypto school at Lackland AFB TX (3 months)
Shore duty (women weren't on ships then, except Hospital ships if HM rating)
China Lake NWC (2 years)
Pearl Harbor (approx 2 yr 8 mo)

Stan Calow
01-04-2024, 1:35 PM
There's one thing I learned from working with, for, and over, doctors and as a patient over the years, is that a medical degree doesn't mean you are an expert in everything. Some might think they are infallible, and many do know a lot, but most can't do their own research on every subject in their field.

Patty Hann
01-04-2024, 2:32 PM
There's one thing I learned from working with, for, and over, doctors and as a patient over the years, is that a medical degree doesn't mean you are an expert in everything. Some might think they are infallible, and many do know a lot, but most can't do their own research on every subject in their field.

When I went searching for a GP I looked for the "Sports medicine" docs.
Found one in 2009 who is a bout 15 years younger than I and was the "team doctor" for the several of the high schools.
(High schools here don't have a "dedicated" team doctor, but I think you know what I mean).
Anyway he's still my GP.

Brian Runau
01-04-2024, 9:18 PM
Try working a diabetic diet with Fodmap diet. Can have it in one not on the other. Brian

Bernie Kopfer
01-05-2024, 11:29 AM
Have to ask the question: will eating right, exercising sufficiently, thinking good thoughts, make those added years in the nursing home worthwhile?

Patty Hann
01-05-2024, 12:08 PM
Have to ask the question: will eating right, exercising sufficiently, thinking good thoughts, make those added years in the nursing home worthwhile?

Maybe you should pose the question to the 92 year old guy that just set the record for the oldest person to make a Rim-to-Rim hike (N-to-S) of the Grand Canyon.
But he probably had to have the "nursing home shuttle" drop him off at the North Rim trailhead. ;)

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6344326552112

(I did it when I was 60 and in pretty good shape--but I felt those excess 10 pounds every step)

Pat Germain
01-05-2024, 12:30 PM
One of my uncles turned 90 last year. I stayed with him last September. Mentally, he's as sharp as a tack. Still drives quite well. He looks MUCH younger than 90. He takes a nap most afternoons and he can't maintain his garden like he used to, but he's doing really well. No nursing home for him. Certainly, genes are a factor here, but he has never smoked, he has never been overweight and he drinks wine every day. Staying with him was great. Every evening it was, "Glass of wine, Patrick?" and we would share a bottle. I hope to be just like him. :)

Mark Hennebury
01-05-2024, 12:35 PM
At 70 years old, I have lost many friends and family, for many different reasons, Some exercised and appeared to be in great shape, careful about diet and weight, some drank, some didn't, some did drugs, some didn't....they are all dead. A know a guy That I hung around with in the early 70's, he about 5' 6"always overweight, 100 + lbs over, he's still alive, and still eating doughnut's. i doubt that they have any Kale in them. Listen to your body, do what makes you feel good, ignore all the BS about what you "should and shouldn't" eat as it is mostly wrong, deeply flawed or purposely biased. Trust no one.

Ottawa (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa)Popular fish oil study deeply flawed, new research says1970s study didn't actually measure heart disease rates of Greenland Inuit, researcher saysCBC News · Posted: May 09, 2014 1:55 PM EDT | Last Updated: May 9, 2014

A popular study from the 1970s that helps sell millions of dollars' worth of fish oil supplements worldwide is deeply flawed, according to a new study being published in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology.

A new study has found that 1970's research into the cardiovascular benefits of fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids was deeply flawed. (iStock)The original study, by Danish physicians H.O. Bang and D.J. Dyerburg, claimed Inuit in Greenland had low rates of heart disease because of their diet, which is rich in fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids from eating fish and blubber from whales and seals.
"I reviewed this original paper and it turned out to be that they actually never measured the frequency of heart disease in [Inuit]," said Dr. George Fodor, the new study's lead researcher.
"They relied upon some [public health records] in Greenland, and also relied on hearsay. People told them that [heart disease] was very rare," he said. "So this is very soft, from the point of view of science."
Public health recordsFodor and his team of three other researchers found that the chief medical officer's annual records were likely deficient because the inaccessible, rural nature of Greenland made it difficult to keep accurate records, and also because many people didn't have access to doctors.
https://i.cbc.ca/1.1926554.1381036692!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_780/nl-fish-oil-20121114.jpg
The sale of fish oil supplements has grown into a global billion-dollar industry. (CBC)The 2014 study has found that Inuit do have similar rates of heart disease compared to non-Inuit populations, and that death rates due to stroke are "very high."
The study also shows that the Greenland Inuit overall mortality is twice as high as non-Inuit populations.
"Most of the researchers never read [the original 1970s] papers. They just took it at face value that what they said is so," Fodor said.
"The fish oil capsules I don't think will stand up to a critical review. They simply don't do anything for you," he said. "The people should know that it doesn't help to prevent heart disease."
Fodor said he's been contacted by media outlets around the world, despite the fact the paper won't be formally published by the Canadian Journal of Cardiology until later this summer. It's available online for now (http://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X%2814%2900237-2/abstract). Fodor, who recently retired from the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, started the study in 2013.

Patty Hann
01-05-2024, 12:42 PM
One of my uncles turned 90 last year. I stayed with him last September. Mentally, he's as sharp as a tack. Still drives quite well. He looks MUCH younger than 90. He takes a nap most afternoons and he can't maintain his garden like he used to, but he's doing really well. No nursing home for him. Certainly, genes are a factor here, but he has never smoked, he has never been overweight and he drinks wine every day. Staying with him was great. Every evening it was, "Glass of wine, Patrick?" and we would share a bottle. I hope to be just like him. :)

Sounds like a plan...:)
Certainly life can throw you some curve balls, especially regarding health.
But a person should do what he can to be fit enough to step up to plate and take a swing, for as long as possible.

Mike Soaper
01-05-2024, 8:32 PM
15-20yrs ago I overheard a Pulmonary Fellow (doctor studying in lung specialties) sigh and say, to paraphrase " I wish they they would make up their minds if eggs and butter are good or bad for you. This was after a then new study (edit: again) flipped conventional wisdom on one of the two.

Mike Soaper
01-05-2024, 8:38 PM
"When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys."

I once heard the Chiefs Mess referred to as "the over 42 club", as in not related to their age, but to their bellies hanging over their 42" belts.

Warren Lake
01-05-2024, 11:33 PM
I watched some more gundry and as cynical as I was about a supplement line I think that is where its headed. Not picking on his its just got more impossible to know what eating right is. Everyone is a doctor and many contradict.

You guys had a lady Margaret Dunning. She drove her car up to a podium walked over to my friend and his wife and gave them an award, she said you people have grit. She was over 104 at the time. I was stunned no walker just like someone maybe in their 70's or 80's. If she was still here id ask. I guess as clint said it only instead "dont let the old woman in"

Warren Lake
01-05-2024, 11:44 PM
wont let me ad this cant even see my post argh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjXQjS9wUs

Curt Harms
01-06-2024, 10:48 AM
Six a day... max.
But see, that's only Oreos.
There's 6 max per day of Fig Newtons, 6 max of Windmill cookies, 6 max of Ginger Snaps .. (shall I go on? :D....)

So what you're saying, Patty, is that you're not so sure about the rest of you but your sweet tooth is healthy indeed:D SWMBO was the same way, her weakness was cake and/or ice cream. I would have said chocolate but I think that's due to a gene on the second X chromosome, it seems to be a genetic condition in most females.:) though not gender exclusive by any means.

Patty Hann
01-06-2024, 4:05 PM
So what you're saying, Patty, is that you're not so sure about the rest of you but your sweet tooth is healthy indeed:D SWMBO was the same way, her weakness was cake and/or ice cream. I would have said chocolate but I think that's due to a gene on the second X chromosome, it seems to be a genetic condition in most females.:) though not gender exclusive by any means.

'Zactly.... the problem is really due to drinking tea... When I drink hot tea (which is the only way I drink it, winter and summer) I have a a cookie, or three.
But I drink tea a lot, so via "programming" I want to have cookies with it. I admit it's difficult to fight this, because it's enjoyable, a simple pleasure.
It's not even harmful if I can moderate it.
Ice cream was a major temptation until I developed a lactose intolerance, so that temptation has gone. I eat IC on rare occasion and I take the "Dairy-Aid" pills for it.
Chocolate ..*sigh*... I think you are right about X chromosome related. I no longer buy it. Friends always have it in their homes; I can enjoy it then.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2024, 5:22 PM
I got confused early on in this thread, so decided against posting.

This is Ken in Idaho......looking down.....shaking his head.....:confused::eek::rolleyes:;)

Patty Hann
01-06-2024, 6:11 PM
https://tenor.com/view/i-don't-get-it-fry-billy-west-futurama-i-don't-understand-gif-2607098140887596367

Mark Hennebury
01-06-2024, 6:20 PM
Confused....welcome to the club.

Mel Fulks
01-06-2024, 6:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3293708]Confused....welcome to the club.
513302[/QUOTEHe]

Mel Fulks
01-06-2024, 6:52 PM
It’s simple ,he’s got a side News Show. Wants to show it ‘it’s not all about ME’ .

Warren Lake
01-06-2024, 7:56 PM
first saw several you tubes side bar about food I thought okay. Apparently not every one had an issue. Dr Gundry the first but looked at others as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfLznrZCp6E

Last night did watch this, Tom asks good questions and knows lots. This was interesting in terms of the medical talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6aKwKfEk8k&t=1027s

Saw this today about him being asked to come and talk with two doctors who have obviously have issues with his info and challenge him. Credit to him to go there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZemkG6Vj7hc

sorry to skip to Margaret since someone talked older person here my brain skipped to her. obviously she ate pretty well to make it to that age. Not changing how I eat but always open to learn more. 20 years ago coast to coast shows said that all our health originates in the gut. Odd concept and this before any other radio how id had on in the background. Became common to hear it more and more.

One thing ive always wondered about ive heard enough times people say not the same value in not in fruit and vegetables and they always say the soil is depleted. Different story on one of the you tubes saying that the bacteria in the soil has been damaged or affected by glycosine. I know the farmers around here spray the fields and few times years in the past pretty foul stuff.

Andrew Joiner
01-07-2024, 12:52 PM
I don't want to get confused and I don't want to offend anybody. I'll share what I've learned in my own health research and helping friends. Don't trust any health information from a doctor that is selling a product. Dr Gundy is an MD but he's selling supplements based on incorrect or false science.
It's kind of like getting woodworking advice on building fine furniture from a woodworker that uses nails not joinery.

Cary Falk
01-07-2024, 2:16 PM
I dove into the rabbit hole last year due to a health issue. What I settled on was the following:
1) Keep moving. A person that exercises but eat unhealthy will live longer than somebody that eats healthy and doesn't exercise.
2) Sugar is bad for you. I still have a little bit because life would be a depressing place if I didn't.
3) Everything in moderation. Life is too long if you are on one extreme and too short if you are on the other.
4) A person that eats healthy and exercises dies healthier.
5) The number one cause of death is birth.

Stan Calow
01-07-2024, 9:39 PM
Cary, re: #s 4 & 5 - I think I heard it said once that "good health is merely the slowest possible rate of dying".

Mark Hennebury
01-08-2024, 12:06 AM
Not True at all. Don't forget the bus. There are many busses, one has your name on it, and it doesn't give a shit how healthy you are.

Cary, re: #s 4 & 5 - I think I heard it said once that "good health is merely the slowest possible rate of dying".

Nicholas Lawrence
01-08-2024, 7:14 AM
This has been around a while, but it still pretty much on the mark.

This Is Why Eating Healthy Is Hard (Time Travel Dietitian) (youtube.com) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA&t=1s)

Patty Hann
01-08-2024, 4:32 PM
This has been around a while, but it still pretty much on the mark.

This Is Why Eating Healthy Is Hard (Time Travel Dietitian) (youtube.com) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA&t=1s)

I've never seen that... pretty funny (and true)

Mark Hennebury
01-08-2024, 4:57 PM
Thanks Nicholas, that was a hoot.

Warren Lake
01-08-2024, 5:17 PM
thats excellent about five you tube DR need to see that. The ones that messed me up when I sat down to make the steel cut oats.

They have been all over the map over the years, margarine is good then margarine is crap and butter has good properties. He said two kinds of collesteral there are more. Fat, our brains are some huge percent fat, we need fat then not polyunsaturated though some disagree then and and and. I give up

thanks that was good.

Patty Hann
01-08-2024, 5:43 PM
I figure that if our remote ancestors ate it** it's probably OK to eat, else we wouldn't even be around to discuss this.
(Am still searching for evidence of the elusive paleolithic "oreo bush" .... I'm certain it's there somewhere...)

**Whatever it was, they probably ate it "in moderation".
For most of the history of the human race, even up to modern times, getting enough food just to survive was a challenge.
There wasn't a surfeit of food, either easily grown/harvested plants or easily hunted/killed animals.
The better part of people's waking hours dealt with getting and keeping enough food just to survive a season.
Sometime read about The Starving Time (https://historicjamestowne.org/history/history-of-jamestown/the-starving-time) of the Jamestown colony

Pat Germain
01-09-2024, 4:34 PM
Sometime read about The Starving Time (https://historicjamestowne.org/history/history-of-jamestown/the-starving-time) of the Jamestown colony

I used to live near the original Jamestown settlement. When you take the guided tour you quickly learn those people did everything WRONG. From the time they hit land, they started looking for gold. They looked and they looked and they looked. Finding gold was inevitable since, well, you know the Spanish were finding tons of gold down in South America so the entire new world had to be swimming in gold, right? Of course, neither the local native tribes nor the ground had any gold. And they made no preparations for winter since they assumed they would be loading ships with gold and returning to England before winter. If the local Indians hadn't taken pity on them, all of them would have died.

Patty Hann
01-09-2024, 6:40 PM
I used to live near the original Jamestown settlement. When you take the guided tour you quickly learn those people did everything WRONG. From the time they hit land, they started looking for gold. They looked and they looked and they looked. Finding gold was inevitable since, well, you know the Spanish were finding tons of gold down in South America so the entire new world had to be swimming in gold, right? Of course, neither the local native tribes nor the ground had any gold. And they made no preparations for winter since they assumed they would be loading ships with gold and returning to England before winter. If the local Indians hadn't taken pity on them, all of them would have died.

Didn't they also land there either in spring or summer and everything was growing and producing fruit, etc, and wildlife was abundant (not hibernating)?
And they assumed that the climate was always that hospitable, and didn't make sufficient preparations for winter?

Mel Fulks
01-09-2024, 7:01 PM
They did make preparations for winter. The Northern people are still advertising the Pilgrims as the first settlers . They were all about
tall hat and no cattle. And apparently have a shortage of books !

Mel Fulks
01-09-2024, 7:26 PM
Most ,if not all scholars rate Smith highly. Lot of people have fantasies, at least the live ones. Here’s a question , why do so many
north people think the Pilgrims got to this continent first ? The “ Gentleman” on the voyage to Virginia didn’t want to do any work.
Smith decreed , “ he who does not work ,will not eat”.

Brian Deakin
01-10-2024, 8:16 AM
You may find this inteesting

The Cancer act uk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Act_1939

Pat Germain
01-10-2024, 10:20 AM
Most ,if not all scholars rate Smith highly. Lot of people have fantasies, at least the live ones. Here’s a question , why do so many
north people think the Pilgrims got to this continent first ? The “ Gentleman” on the voyage to Virginia didn’t want to do any work.
Smith decreed , “ he who does not work ,will not eat”.
Similar to what scholars used to write about Columbus, what they wrote about John Smith simply wasn't accurate. The whole Pocahontas incident never happened. That story was one of many Smith made up in his journals. He also wrote about escapades with multiple, young native girls. None of it really happened.

I gather the local tribes were helpful at first, but eventually became reluctant.

They most definitely did NOT prepare for winter. 80% of the colonists died between 1609 and 1610; mostly from starvation. With all the digging, the colonists did find iron pyrite which they "foolishly" believed was real gold. I'm not sure when they realized it wasn't gold, but they spent all their time digging up the fools gold and loading it onto ships.

Sorry, none of this adds up to Smith being a good leader. Like most of the history we were taught in school, the early historical accounts of the Jamestown Settlement were contrived fiction.

OK, we've drifted here, but this is the Off Topic forum. :-)

Bill Howatt
01-10-2024, 2:12 PM
You may find this inteesting

The Cancer act uk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Act_1939

I think we could use it today - except rename it to: The Scam Act

Mike Shields
02-01-2024, 9:39 AM
Diet and exercise. These two things have a huge impact on being healthy and having a good quality of life as we get older. I don't believe these can be argued.
What can be argued is what actually is entailed in those two vague terms. It comes to personal choice of dealing with the consequences of our decisions of what we put in vs what we get out.

For me, when I eat junk food (highly processed or food with high sugar and carbs), I feel terrible. When I'm eating greens and or whole foods, I feel better mentally and physically throughout the day, and sleep better too. I'm convinced, without having to watch a YT video promoting someone else's agenda.

glenn bradley
02-01-2024, 10:52 AM
Someone probably already said this but when it comes to diet and health care, listen to your doctor. Not your fellow woodworkers and internet gurus. :)

Warren Lake
02-01-2024, 12:36 PM
Doctors dont know about diet at least past were not taught about it. 3 million of us or some number dont have a family doctor here. Too busy bringing in people from all over than paying attention to us. My family doctor closed his practice as another retired and he didnt want to carry the place. For a while he was about 30 or more lbs overweight and used to say he wished his numbers were like mine. Me older than him.

The issue is I had watched some you tubes that started with why I should not be eating steel cut oats to lectins in beans and on and on. The science is increasing and learning more constantly. After the diet stuff that left me confused as so many smart people contradicted themselves then went on to others like the doctor that There are some very good interviews.

Last night watched Sabine Hoosenfelder saying she had digestive issues and the experts could not figure it out so she did. She said you have to be an "f,ing" chemist to understand what is in your food. Im not sure what she is, Scientist maybe. So she found a thing in some food and able to 95 percent eliminate her issue all from one additive that was in food.

I saw a great interview with the Doctor who identified Nitric Oxide. He said people that died had stuff in common and set out to solve an idea and took 30 years for that. I saw him on another interview last night and super smart and honest about stuff they have not figured out but are working on. Nice to see the dedication to his craft. Same with people that are studying and learning about the Endocannibidial system.

I eat well enough but not opposed to better just ended up no idea what that is. Used to run hobby level and take care of a few properties. Seemed best to let running go and have set up the racing bike on the rollers and dabbling in that a bit, hobby level but its good.

Left the food stuff for a while and will revisit it.