PDA

View Full Version : Don't Jump For The First Offer

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2024, 9:20 AM
Recently ordered a new battery for my jump box that I keep with stand by generator in case of battery failure of built in battery. Searching around, I found the Might Max battery I needed to be priced at $39.99 almost every where. But when I go to Amazon, they want $42.99 for same battery. Scrolling down the page, I see same battery, also from Amazon, for $39.99, which is how I ordered it. FYI, last week I replaced battery in jump box I keep in van. It was a Mighty Max battery that was a little over five years old, so it didn't owe me anything. The one I'm replacing now is the OEM battery that came to me as a used jump box, about five years ago. Rescued it at the dumpsters, pried the caps off, and added distilled water. It still cranked service generator yesterday, but very slowly, so I knew it was time for a new battery.

mike stenson
01-02-2024, 9:32 AM
Amazon, like Google, front load the items that make them more money.

Brian Elfert
01-02-2024, 5:27 PM
I see it pretty often that Amazon third party sellers will charge more than the going rate for an item. They will also pay for a sponsored listing so their listing shows up higher in the list. I always look for the best price, and the best price may not be on Amazon.

Tom M King
01-02-2024, 6:23 PM
Also, on ebay if you put something in your watchlist, very often the seller will make you an offer sometimes significantly less than the shown price in the item ad in a few days. I've had that happen a number of times in the past few months much more often that it used to happen. Sometimes it's a significant difference.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2024, 8:19 PM
I see it pretty often that Amazon third party sellers will charge more than the going rate for an item. They will also pay for a sponsored listing so their listing shows up higher in the list. I always look for the best price, and the best price may not be on Amazon.On the few items I actually order, I check both Amazon and Ebay, plus a couple other sellers. Of course you can always get a stupid price. For this battery, Walmart wanted $79.99

Patty Hann
01-02-2024, 8:26 PM
Also, on ebay if you put something in your watchlist, very often the seller will make you an offer sometimes significantly less than the shown price in the item ad in a few days. I've had that happen a number of times in the past few months much more often that it used to happen. Sometimes it's a significant difference.
You must be blessed.
I've done that and the sellers have never discounted the item more than 5%... definitely not a significant savings.

Bill Dufour
01-03-2024, 12:55 AM
You must be blessed.
I've done that and the sellers have never discounted the item more than 5%... definitely not a significant savings.
For ebay 10-15% is the standard discount for me. I do not think i see discounts fro mAmazon?
Bill D