PDA

View Full Version : Wood Source in Canada?

James Farrow
02-05-2006, 9:32 AM
I am looking for wood (boards) to use in Pyrography (woodburning).

I am looking for wood that is approximately 8" to 9" wide by 12" long and ¾" to 1" thick. Maybe even some larger sizes later on.
Planed, cut to size, and sanded but not finished. Like unfinished plaques.
Soft (Big Leaf) Maple, Butternut, Beech, etc. Not Basswood as I find it just to plain and to white.

Does anyone know of any (reasonably priced) on-line mail-order places in Canada (preferably Ontario) that I can check out. I don't drive so mail-order is what I am looking for. In the US I would use CurlyWoods (have before) but the shipping and cross-border charges are a deterent.

I checked out the local places but did not have any luck. If they did have any plaque like boards they were to thin (1/4" or so).
I also e-mailed a few places (found through Google) out west but they couldn't supply what I wanted or didn't reply at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James :)

Howard Rosenberg
02-05-2006, 9:46 AM
Peacock in Oshawa.
Unicorn on Steeles West (somewhat) kitty-corner to Lee Valley.
Exotic Hardwoods in Burlington.

There are also two main CDN forums on which you could post this question.
As I'm not sure re Sawmill Creek's policies re supplying links to other forums, so I'd suggest you do a search on Canadian woodworking forum.

HTH
Howard

James Farrow
02-05-2006, 9:58 AM
Thanks, I will check out the Canadian Forums.

Rick Thom
02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
James, maybe you could get a local woodworking hobiest to make some up for you?
Sounds straightforward and might be the easiest and cheapest solution for you.

Peter Mc Mahon
02-05-2006, 1:22 PM
A&M wood products in Cambridge Ontario. There is also a very large place called Olivers somewhere near TO. Peter-in Paris, Ont.

James Farrow
02-05-2006, 2:00 PM
Thanks!

Howard Rosenberg
02-05-2006, 10:03 PM
around The Queensway and the 427.
HTH
Howard