PDA

View Full Version : a couple of tool gloats

Jim Davenport
02-05-2006, 9:07 AM
Yesterday Woodcraft had their 10% off sale. My friend of many years and I went out to our weekly lunch at the Spanish restaurant. Later We went to Woodcraft and I picked up a "Incra 1000-SE Miter guage" I did some research and did a search here. I read that the 1000-SE was very well reviewed, with no negative comments. I might have got it cheaper on line, but I like to support my local store. It's nice to actually look at something before you buy it. Besides the "crew" at the local Woodcraft are very knowlegeable, and helpful.
I set it up this morning. The process was very straight forward, with no problems. I had to shim between the base and the steel angle that supports the fence with a piece of paper to get the fence face 90 degrees vertical to the table.
I think I'm going to be very pleased with it.
I also got a super deal from my friend. He found a "Shopsmith Overarm pin router" at the "Curb side salvage" in his neighborhood. He's not a woodworker (nobody's perfect) so he gave it to me. It had an old Craftsman router that all the magic smoke leaked out of. I have a Milwaukee 5650 Router that fits nicely on this. The column is rusty, but I don't think that will be a problem to clean up. The table is in excellent shape. a little sanding, some BLO, and wax will fix that right up to new. I have to make some pins for it.
I think that it would do double duty an a router table.
Do any of you-all use a pin router? What uses can I use it for.

tod evans
02-05-2006, 9:29 AM
jim, pin routers are handy! they excell at template following and the vast majority of furniture parts that have been massproduced in the last 50-60 years where run across one, shapes and mortises. they also are great for fluting, gooseneck mouldings, yada-yada, you get the point.....02 tod

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Nice aquistions, Jim, especially the pin router...those are not easy to find in an "affordable" format these days! My Woodcraft sale purchases were limited to some new dye colors and a P&N square scraper for turning.

Jim Davenport
02-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Thank you. I also bought another 6" cabinet scraper. My other one somehow got lost in the depths of the Magic Garage.