PDA

View Full Version : Here's Stinky (the peppermill)

Brian Brown
12-31-2023, 6:29 PM
So I posted a question about my stinky pepper mill, but was too lazy to post a pic. Here it is. 10.75" tall, about 2.75" diameter. In a hurry to get it wrapped, so the pic is lacking. It was originally done with the top echoing the bottom, but the wife didn't like the sharpish edge. Not ergonomic for the hand. She sent it back with a redesign. I think if I do this in the future, I'll keep the sharper top edge.

Brian Deakin
01-01-2024, 8:50 AM
Brian if you are looking for inspiration look a the pepper mills on Etsy

Search pepppermills starting with highest price for ideas on shape

You need to take care that the outer width of the mill is wider than the holes drilled in the mill This is very important if you have used a recess to fit the crushgrind mechanism you need to take account of this additional width

If you have used a recess tool the minimium width where the lugs ar located is about 53 mm

How do I know

I have on 3 occasions cut the peppermills in half by ignoring this dimension

regards

Another Brian

Reed Gray
01-03-2024, 11:59 AM
I have a box that is made out of catalpa, and have had it for at least 5 years. The inside of it still stinks like catalpa wood, and I don't think that smell will ever go away. When taking a threaded box class with Bonnie Klein, she said to use spray lacquer on the inside because the smell is pretty much gone instantly. Any penetrating finish like wipe on poly will stink forever. If this is the pepper mill with the stinky epoxy in it, the smell may never go away. I hope it doesn't flavor the pepper.

robo hippy

Mel Fulks
01-03-2024, 1:40 PM
Coat the inside with orange shellac .