View Full Version : greetings

Dewayne Baker
02-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Hello to the members of this forum. I guess I have lurked about here enough I should at least say hello :) .

I call Vacaville CA. home and got in to woodworking 6 or 7 years ago.

I am strictly a hobbyist and woodwork in my garage every chance I get. I learned the basics of woodworking in high school 25 years ago. I lost touch with woodworking after school but never lost the desire to woodwork.

I have learned 100 times over what I learned in school since re-entering woodworking. But it's that H.S. basic shop knowledge and experience that gave me the confidence to "just do it"

If I can get this figured out I'll share a project pic or two.

Mitchell Garnett
02-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Nice looking - thanks for sharing.

and welcome to the creek.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-05-2006, 1:02 AM
Dwayne, welcome, and thanks for sharing your pics, we LOVE pics :D

VERY nice stuff, some beautiful wood there as well.

The last one, is that some kind of a blanket rack or something?

Love the shape and the use of contrasting wood, VERY nice.

What kinds of finish do you use?

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
02-05-2006, 1:14 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dewayne, and excellent intro. Nice project pics, particularly the quilt rack, and I echo what Stu said.

I can definitely relate to your comments about the high school shop basics coming in handy when getting back into woodworking...I'm in my first year of getting back into it after a long time only doing home repair projects. Without the high school basics, I wonder if I'd have the guts and wherewithal to figure out by myself how to safely use the various power tools.

Again, welcome -

- Vaughn

Dick Parr
02-05-2006, 1:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dwayne. Those are some beautiful pieces of work, thanks for sharing and come back often.:)

Dan Forman
02-05-2006, 5:07 AM
Dewayne---Really nice looking work you posted. Welcome to the Creek.

Dan

Bob Noles
02-05-2006, 5:41 AM
Welcome to the creek Dwayne and thanks for bringing some pictures with you. Those are some extremely nice looking projects.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Eric Shields
02-05-2006, 5:46 AM
Dewayne,

Welcome to the creek. Love the work you posted and look forward to future projects. This place is a great way to get opinions, critiques, and advise. Great bunch of people here.

Eric

John Bailey
02-05-2006, 5:46 AM
Dwayne,

Welcome to the Creek. You're going to fit right in with projects like that. I like the contrast in woods that you've used.

John

Tom Drake
02-05-2006, 5:59 AM
Very nice work Dewayne. And welcome to SMC.

Brian Hale
02-05-2006, 6:13 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dewayne, Nice to have you join us!

Brian :)

Ken Shoemaker
02-05-2006, 7:31 AM
Impressive use of contrasting woods.... I agree with whomever said
"you'll fit right in here". Glad to have you here...

Jim Hager
02-05-2006, 7:48 AM
Welcome DeWayne, you will like it here. Nice work too!!!

Karl Laustrup
02-05-2006, 7:49 AM
Longtime lurker, but what a first post. :) Glad you decided to share your projects with us, Dewayne. You obviously learned from all that lurking that we like pictures. ;) :D

I particularly like that last one, which I'm going to call a blanket rack. I have been wanting to make one for my wife. One like yours will do just nicely. Might have to "borrow that design" if you wouldn't mind.

Expect to see more of you now that you've broken your silence. ;) :D

Karl

Frank Pellow
02-05-2006, 8:13 AM
Dewayne, let me use my 3000th post here to respond to your first post. You do great work and we welcome you to Saw Mill Creek! Please don't stop with showing us just three projects and four pictures.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2006, 8:40 AM
Dewayne.......Welcome to the Creek! Excellent first post and great projects! The Photo Cops will be happy.

tod evans
02-05-2006, 8:57 AM
welcome dewayne!

John Renzetti
02-05-2006, 9:01 AM
Great work Dewayne, and welcome to SMC
take care,
John

Russ Massery
02-05-2006, 9:24 AM
Welcome, Nice work!

Jay Knoll
02-05-2006, 9:57 AM
Dewayne

Welcome, looks like you paid attention in shop class! Very nice stuff, thanks for the post

Jay

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Dewayne! Very nice work...thanks for sharing it.

ROBERT ELLIS
02-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Dewayne,

Hello Dewayne, and welcome to the creek. I'm new to this forum as well. Definately some of the nicest ww folks on the net. Anymore, this is pretty much the only ww site I visit.

Nice looking work, really! You certainly have a talent. Looks like you used Red Oak with a light stain? What's the secondary wood in the smaller pieces?

Robert

p.s. Hint - the inquisitive minds here will hound you until you start "fessing" up as to your construction, finish, etc., techniques!

Bob Reeve
02-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Dewayne,

Welcome to the creek from Modesto. If you ever get down this way give a hollar and I will buy you a cup of coffee or a beer.

Bob

Bryan Somers
02-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Welcome Dewayne I'm fairly new here also. There are some super folks here and I found the water just fine. Really nice work there.

Frank Eppler
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dwayne. Thanks for sharing, looks like you were a great student in HS. I'm new here myself and have found the folks here are just great.

Welcome, Frank:)

Byron Trantham
02-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Dwayne, welcome and your work is beautiful.:D

William Lewis
02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Dewayne,

Beautiful work, but we need details. Finish wood used and so forth. Watch out for the guy in the iron clad thong. He's real hard to please but as long as you have pictures you will be okay. LOL

William Lewis

Lou Morrissette
02-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Dewayne,

Welcome to the Creek. Your work is great and thanks for sharing.

Lou

Dewayne Baker
02-05-2006, 1:55 PM
Wow! thanks for the warm welcome. I should have spoke up sooner. When I get things figured out here a little better I'll post some better pics. I need to adjust my file sizes.

To answer a couple questions. The chest and hutch I made for media storage. the drawers are on full extension guides and hold a total of 840 cd's. the hutch accommodates our dvd collection and can hold up to 425. Woods used where red oak, cherry ply panels and some walnut inlay.

The bookcase is Q-sawn red oak and paduk. It has a subtle bow front, the face frame rails are a bent lamination.

The quilt rack is lacewood and figured maple.

Image file size seems small and resolution is not so great. Maybe better to post a link to my online photo gallery,yes? Oops almost forgot, most of these project I used a clear oil/poly finish similar to A Sam Moloff product.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1534639

I guess after showing you all these pics I'll have an awful lot of explaining to do huh.

Happy woodworking all. ;)

Roger Bailey
02-05-2006, 2:14 PM
Hello Dewayne, those are some real nice projects. I bet there is a shop teacher somewhere smiling!:)