PDA

View Full Version : IWF Show Atlanta August 2006, anyone going?

Peter M. Spirito
02-05-2006, 12:03 AM
I just registered for the show and made hotel reservations via the IWF web site. Rooms real real close to the convention were no longer available thru the IWF site so I tried to book directly from the hotels web sites and there weren't any available rooms that way either. I am still pretty close and IWF is providing a shuttle buss service. :)

Rob Will
02-05-2006, 12:20 AM
I'll be there staying with family in Atlanta. Sounds like a good show.
Rob

Chris Giles
02-05-2006, 5:28 AM
I never miss it. Plan on a couple of days of actual show attendance time because this thing is HUGE! I have to remember to take a few sit down breaks each day bacause you walk several miles on hard concrete and it can be hard on your back. If you are considering any larger machine purchases, this can be a great place to get a good deal on almost anything. Its nice to be able to compare so many major brands in one place, with knowledgable technicians right there to answer questions. Don't forget to spend some time seeing the city, Atlanta has many wonderful attractions for kids and adults.

Bob Wingard
02-05-2006, 10:26 AM
That's one show I never miss .. .. .. it's the largest trade show in the U.S. .. .. .. even bigger than COMDEX !! !! !! It takes up the entire World Congress Center, including all of the smaller conference rooms. There used to be lots of freebies, but they've been cutting back in recent years. We'll be driving down from Chattanooga and staying in the Marietta area.

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I really like this show and if the stars align "just right", maybe I'll get to go. But there is unfortunately little chance of that. I will say that this show is absolutely wonderful for anyone interested in woodworking machinery. While much of the millions of square feet of display is outside of the hobbiest and even small pro shop, there is a lot to learn from seeing what the "big boys" use. It's also one of the few shows that you'll actually see the manufacturers there with all their gear, rather than just local resellers that you most often see at the touring, hobbyist oriented shows.

If you go...wear comfortable shoes and try to have at least two days to browse. This show fills the ENTIRE Georgia convention center...it's difficult to see the whole thing, even running, in one day. DAMHIKT!

John Renzetti
02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi, Most likely I'll be going. This will be my 6th IWF. First one I was just able to fly in for one day. Didn't realize how big it was. After seven hours I had only covered 30% of the show and it was a lot smaller than it is now.
The show has something for everybody. Plan on spending three days if you want to see it all and not be rushed.
take care,
John

Robert Waddell
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I plan on being there this year. I was going to drive down for the day. After reading these post maybe I need to spend a night. Thanks for bringing it up. I need to go get registered.
Rob

Richard Wolf
02-05-2006, 4:42 PM
I got to Vegas last year and had a great time. The show was good also. I'm thinking of trying to make it to Atlanta.

Richard

Charlie Plesums
02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
... I was going to drive down for the day. After reading these post maybe I need to spend a night. ...Rob
I spent four days last show, and could have spent another. As a "rerun" I hope to at least be "done" in four this year. So "spending a night" is better than not, but I suggest 2 or 3 nights.

Paul B. Cresti
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I am going to try to go but August is a long ways away............

Michael Gibbons
02-06-2006, 5:02 PM
Is this expo open to everyone or do you have to be a business? I might try to talk the wifey into going.

Charles McCracken
02-06-2006, 5:08 PM
I'm scheduled to be there from setup through teardown. Please stop by the Freud booth and say hello. I really enjoy putting faces with personalities of the boards.

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 5:30 PM
Is this expo open to everyone or do you have to be a business? I might try to talk the wifey into going.

Technically...it's a trade show and one should be in the trade. But I had no problem getting in when I attended in the past. Print up a few business cards that say, "Michael Gibbons Cabinetmaker" or something... ;) Do keep in mind that this is a serious industry show that is very, very different than the traveling woodworking shows. And for that reason, it's fascinating to attend!

Peter M. Spirito
02-06-2006, 8:35 PM
Charles M, I'll be sure to stop by the Freud booth. I too would like to run into you folks. Charles, being that you will be there from the beginning maybe you could direct those of us that stop by your booth to one of the concession stands (near your booth) where we could informally gather for coffee at regular times through out the day.;)

Charles McKinley
02-06-2006, 9:35 PM
I promised myself I would visit my college roomate in ATL this year and catch IWF. I hope to see some of you there.

Keith Outten
02-06-2006, 9:50 PM
I have my eye on Atlanta but I will have to wait to see what my workload looks like in late summer. I will be at the ShopBot Jamboree in late April again this year and I expect we will have a very small group of Creekers in Durham NC, but we are growing.

Charles McCracken
02-07-2006, 9:15 AM
Peter,

We will be in Building B about 3 booths from the concessions. Here's the map:
IWF Booth 6172 (http://www.iwf2006.com/Floorplans/SectionTemplate.asp?FloorID=B1&SectionID=4-2)

tod evans
02-07-2006, 9:21 AM
not i, that would be like giving a drug addict keys to the pharmacy:) .02 tod

Ed Lang
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to go with him.... maybe this year I will go.

Keith, small group in Durham? You and I. Working on my speakers now.

Keith Outten
02-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Ed,

I have my sound pads as well but haven't decided on a design yet. I believe Aaron is also entering the contest. This should be very interesting :)

Keith Hall
02-07-2006, 5:27 PM
In 2004, I went to the Freud booth to meet the famous Charles M. I asked a Freud rep where Charles M. was and he replied "Geez, another Woodnet guy". My daughter and I got a good laugh over that comment. I had a lot of questions and he patiently answered each and every one of them. A great rep and customer service front man for Freud. He is the reason I have so many red cutting tools in my shop. That, and they are grate products, helped with my decision.:D :D

Brian Buckley
02-08-2006, 7:09 AM
I plan to attend. Charles, will you have shaper tooling in your booth? I would like to see it up close and in person.

Brian

Charles McCracken
02-08-2006, 7:41 AM
Brian,

We should have at least one of everything we offer at the show, including shaper cutters of all flavors. Hope to see you there.

Joe Blankshain
02-19-2006, 7:34 PM
Just registered for this show. Went to the WW show in NC this weekend and surprisingly enough I was not disappointed. The last one I went to was in Scottsdale, AZ and this one was three times the size and with that many more exhibitors. Sorry Dave F. I went with out you and the others. I look forward to getting together (if possible) with other Creekers in Atlanta.