PDA

View Full Version : Crank-out hardware for casement windows - who makes the best?

brent stanley
12-29-2023, 9:36 AM
I need to use crank-out hardware for the next window job and most of my experience with the hardware has been less than satisfactory. I've seen and used much more robust and well-built kit, but as a recent adopter of smart phones, I have been relying on paper notes about things like that, and mine have been lost as we prepare to move. Now I just take a picture and it's always with me, but alas ...

I'm wondering what people consider the Rolls Royce of crank out hardware? Don't care if it's expensive or hard to get, I just want quality. Thanks in advance for your input,

Brent

Jim Becker
12-29-2023, 10:22 AM
If I had to choose the absolutely best window solution, I'd go with a high end Euro window setup that opens in multiple planes. That doesn't answer your specific question, but it may be something to consider if your project really wants the best. They are not inexpensive, but can be ordered in pretty much any size/style you want and they are so very versatile. 'Just something to think about...

brent stanley
12-29-2023, 10:26 AM
If I had to choose the absolutely best window solution, I'd go with a high end Euro window setup that opens in multiple planes. That doesn't answer your specific question, but it may be something to consider if your project really wants the best. They are not inexpensive, but can be ordered in pretty much any size/style you want and they are so very versatile. 'Just something to think about...

I'm right there with ya Jim! Tilt/turn and similar are great but I'm unfortunately not in control of all aspects of the project/job so alas....

Rob Luter
12-29-2023, 10:51 AM
I’ve used Amesbury-Truth hardware for casement windows for a number of years. They have quite a variety of offerings. What part of the country are you in? I may know the rep that covers your territory.

brent stanley
12-29-2023, 11:02 AM
I’ve used Amesbury-Truth hardware for casement windows for a number of years. They have quite a variety of offerings. What part of the country are you in? I may know the rep that covers your territory.

Hey Rob, thanks. Central/Eastern Canada.

brent stanley
12-29-2023, 11:23 AM
My assumption always was that there is European hardware that is harder to get here and better quality.

Rob Luter
12-29-2023, 1:20 PM
Hey Rob, thanks. Central/Eastern Canada.

I’ll make a couple calls when I get back to work Tuesday.

My assumption always was that there is European hardware that is harder to get here and better quality.

That’s a good assumption everywhere. The nicer it is, the tougher is is to get (usually). Roto-Fasco is another source you should check. They have Canadian Manufacturing. I use them for Patio Door roller assemblies and lock sets.

roger wiegand
12-29-2023, 1:21 PM
Our better quality Marvin windows have cranks that have been working flawlessly, but only for 12 years now, so I can't comment on longevity. I don't know who makes the hardware. The newer European windows I've experienced have much more robust and better operating hardware that seals impressively. The cost put them out of our reach when we did our remodel. Perhaps a dealer in those lines of windows can help you find hardware.

Paul F Franklin
12-29-2023, 3:39 PM
Might want to check out Interlock. Haven't used any of it, but they look a step up from the typical truth stuff....https://www.interlockna.com/us/en/products/casement-awning-window-solutions

Tom M King
12-29-2023, 4:05 PM
Rocky Mountain Hardware

Rob Luter
12-29-2023, 4:21 PM
Might want to check out Interlock. Haven't used any of it, but they look a step up from the typical truth stuff....https://www.interlockna.com/us/en/products/casement-awning-window-solutions

Interlock makes nice stuff. I’ve used them in the past. Their parent company (ASSA ABLOY) is a big player in the Fenestration industry. I use some of their products too.

brent stanley
12-29-2023, 4:25 PM
Some great information folks, thank you! I will spend some time looking this up!

brent stanley
12-30-2023, 10:10 AM
Interlock makes nice stuff. I’ve used them in the past. Their parent company (ASSA ABLOY) is a big player in the Fenestration industry. I use some of their products too.

Thanks Rob, after looking up Interlock (thank you for that, looks promising) I went down the Assa Abloy rabbit hole and that was quite a place! They have a lot of subsidiary companies!