PDA

View Full Version : Helical Head Jointer Adjustment?

Derek Arita
12-27-2023, 2:00 PM
Can I rest then end of my dial indicator on the body of the head or does it have to be on the TDC of a blade edge?

https://i.imgur.com/cBMBQ4R.jpg

lou Brava
12-27-2023, 4:17 PM
IMO always reference the actual cutter.

Andrew Hughes
12-27-2023, 4:37 PM
I use the head because it’s roundness is easy to reference. My suggestion is with a knife head those insert head don’t give much up for measuring.
A button tip is better then a flat tip the button tip actually has a small flat area on the tip.
Good Luck

Derek Arita
12-27-2023, 4:42 PM
Ya. I know you’re right. That way I know the cutter edge is even with the table, or maybe a a smidge higher?

Andrew Hughes
12-27-2023, 5:46 PM
If your trying to set the outfeed table to the height of knives using a dial indicator is the hard way.
The best way is to let the cut determine the height. Lower the outfeed take a cut on a fairly straight boards edge until 4 or 5 inch hangs over the outfeed. Then raise the outfeed to barely touch bottom of board.
If your not trying to set outfeed height I apologize for assuming you were.
Good Luck

Bill Dufour
12-27-2023, 9:29 PM
I would us the head to get the head parallel to the table.
Then reference off the cutting edge to set the table co-planer to the cutting edge. Way to much math and geometry to set it from the cutter drum.
Bill D

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2023, 9:51 AM
I set the table parallel to the head, then set the table height by measuring from table to knife or insert.

Regards, Rod.