PDA

View Full Version : Router bit

jack duren
12-26-2023, 3:02 PM
Anyone familiar?
TIDEWAY Cove Box&Core Router Bit, Round Groove Nose Router Bit Solid Carbide for Woodworking , 13/16’’ Radius x 1-5/8'' Dia. x 1/2 inch Shank (1/2X1-5/8) From Amazon.

Not familiar with Tideway…

Tom M King
12-26-2023, 4:11 PM
I think for a lot of those brands on Amazon that they just roll out a bunch of blocks with letters on them to name a company for stuff they have made. Often you can find the same thing sold under a number of those "companies" for much different prices.

Jim Becker
12-26-2023, 4:13 PM
There is a lot of tooling on Amazon and EBay where the names are not familiar and it's a good way to get a "problem solver" for reasonable money. I've bought a bunch of things under the Yonco brand to fill those needs. Heavy use stuff I stick to Amana, Whiteside, etc., but for the "specialties" and more odd sizes, I buy what's available.

jack duren
12-26-2023, 4:47 PM
I buy Amana,but this one popped up for the size. I usually use this size for poker chip trays.

Richard Coers
12-26-2023, 6:55 PM
Amazon is not the place to buy generic branded Chinese made bits, Unless you only want to use it once or twice. You could probably buy it for half that from Aliexpress in China.

jack duren
12-26-2023, 7:00 PM
I don’t use it often..

Tom M King
12-26-2023, 7:39 PM
An example of what I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/WSOOX-Router-Carbide-Tipped-Shank/dp/B0CLL5Y3V6/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1XXVH96OQROII&keywords=Cove+Box%26Core+Router+Bit&qid=1703637248&sprefix=cove+box%26core+router+bit%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-16

Jim Becker
12-27-2023, 9:59 AM
Amazon is not the place to buy generic branded Chinese made bits, Unless you only want to use it once or twice. You could probably buy it for half that from Aliexpress in China.
I don't disagree if you mean quantities or something not needed "now", although I'd hit EBAY first. Otherwise, Amazon is a good source because you can get it in 1 to a few days on a platform that many of us are already setup with including with the easy, local returns for things we decide we don't want or don't meet expectations.

jack duren
12-27-2023, 10:15 AM
At this point in my woodworking career, a $120 router bit just doesn’t make sense. Once a bit gets sharpened, it looses it size and goes in the drawer..

Jim Becker
12-27-2023, 10:21 AM
At this point in my woodworking career, a $120 router bit just doesn’t make sense. Once a bit gets sharpened, it looses it size and goes in the drawer..
I agree with you on that, not just for that "at this point" part but for any tool that's not going to be a regular user. I'll pony up for nice insert tooling and higher end stuff where there is a long term payback, but for the one-offs and infrequents..."any color" tooling at a lower cost works for me.