PDA

View Full Version : Castle TSM 12 Pocket Hole machine vs Safety Speed 101EZ

John Adank
12-26-2023, 12:40 PM
I’m curious to know if anyone has a Safety Speed 101EZ pocket hole machine and how they like it. I’m considering purchasing a table top pocket hole machine. I’m looking at the Castle TSM12 and the Safety Speed 101EZ. Both companies machines bore a 6 degree hole, Castle comes in at $1,775 plus shipping and Safety Speed is $1,599 with free shipping and both are made in USA. So far, Safety Speed has told me theirs is easier to use, has upgraded routers and bores a 6 degree hole and is less expensive. I’m waiting for some explanation on the upgraded routers and how it’s easier to use than the Castle. I would appreciate and comments on either machine

jack duren
12-26-2023, 1:05 PM
Are you a cabinet shop looking to speed up production or hobby?

John Adank
12-26-2023, 1:21 PM
No, I’m a hobbyist woodworker. Safety speed told me the routers they use our Dewalt as opposed to the Bosch routers of the Castle. I guess that’s the “upgraded” router they’re referring to. Safety Speed also has just a forward motion to bore the slot and then you come back to the neutral
position and it bores the screw hole. A very subtle difference to the Castle where you bring the handle all the way back towards you. I don’t think that’s a game changing decision maker but maybe it is if you’re doing some production work

jack duren
12-26-2023, 1:45 PM
I’m not as familiar with the portable models as the floor models. Wouldn’t the PC be in the that bracket?

Michael Burnside
12-26-2023, 2:15 PM
I have the Castle 110 and it’s awesome. It’s all I need, doesn’t take up too much space and is very quick. It’s great for drawers, cabinets, shop furniture, etc. I don’t use it on any fine furniture builds, but I’m sure it’s good there too. Personally I’d choose Bosch over Dewalt but that’s just me. Either way I’d call it basically even.

The build quality is outstanding if that matters to you. I don’t have immediate experience with the models you mention, but I do think both would be nice if you wanted a bigger model.

Jared Sankovich
12-26-2023, 3:01 PM
The safety speed having a removable top is a better design imho. I have a porter cable 552 (castle tsm-10) and working on it is a pain.

Rob Sack
12-26-2023, 7:05 PM
I have one of first Porter Cable 552 bench tops which as mentioned earlier is the same as the Castle TSM-10. I think I have had it for close to 20 years and it has been used a lot. Other than replacing the on off switch, which Castle has long since improved, the machine has required nothing. I finally, for the first time, replaced the pocket cutter bit and drill bit. Since Porter Cable is basically out of business, I contacted Castle. They had all the replacement parts I needed and the machine works like new. They were also a pleasure to deal with. I guess having a removable top like the Safety Speed Cut might be advantageous, but changing the bits in my Porter Cable was pretty easy. They fact that Castle has been doing this as long as they have, are great to deal with, and use Bosch routers, my choice would be the Castle over the Safety Speed Cut.

John Ziebron
12-26-2023, 11:57 PM
Although I'm just a hobbyist, I bought the Castle TSM-12 a few years (at a much lower price) because I unhappy with both previous Kreg jigs that I had. Using the Castle is a night and day difference. I'm not familiar with the Safety Speed machine although it looks similar. Although I have a couple of handheld DeWalt routers given the choice in this type machine I would prefer the Bosch ones. I talked to the folks at Castle before and after buying my unit and they were very helpful. They have been in business for quite a while and most customers are production shops. And I would gladly pay the $200 difference to a solid company for that peace of mind.

Kevin Jenness
12-27-2023, 9:00 AM
I too have the old Porter Cable 552 which has been a very useful machine. An easily removed top would be nice but non-essential. One major improvement one can make over the standard setup is to use a downcut spiral bit for the pocket to get a cleaner cut, especially in plywood.

Jared Sankovich
12-27-2023, 10:10 AM
Unrelated to the benchtop model, but the floor model safety speed has a height adjustable top that allows for centering the pilot hole on the center line of the stock. You can shim or use a thinner top to offset for thicker stock, but the adjustable option would be nice especially if you frequent use 1"+ stock.

jack duren
12-27-2023, 10:18 AM
Floor model pocket hole machines are little on the heavy budget side…

Rob Sack
12-27-2023, 11:36 AM
I too have the old Porter Cable 552 which has been a very useful machine. An easily removed top would be nice but non-essential. One major improvement one can make over the standard setup is to use a downcut spiral bit for the pocket to get a cleaner cut, especially in plywood.

That's exactly what the folks at Castle recommended when I order new bits. The spiral bit is definitely a great improvement.

jack duren
12-27-2023, 11:39 AM
You want the castle bit…

Kevin Jenness
12-27-2023, 12:14 PM
You want the castle bit…

This one https://castleusa.com/products/b01338-3-8-solid-carbide-3-flute-reverse-helix-router-bit.html. This one should work equally well https://toolstoday.com/v-15094-46055-k-spektra.html

jack duren
12-27-2023, 12:19 PM
I only use Castle. If you want to go down the path of trial and error, by all means do so.. let us know how it works out..

I never broke down and bought an actual pocket hole machine, but decided to make my own. I’ve used this for 20 years with Castle bits and it a peach..

Kevin Jenness
12-27-2023, 12:25 PM
I only use Castle. If you want to go down the path of trial and error, by all means do so.. let us know how it works out..

My used machine came with a non-branded 3 flute downcut bit, possibly from Vortex. It is not corrugated like the Castle bit but works very well.

jack duren
12-27-2023, 12:27 PM
I’m happy with Castle, so I don’t search out other bits. They last a long time.

Bruce Wrenn
12-27-2023, 4:12 PM

I never broke down and bought an actual pocket hole machine, but decided to make my own. I’ve used this for 20 years with Castle bits and it a peach..Looks a lot like the ShopNotes version I built a couple years back. The pocket hole cutter was THE PROJECT, as I didn't need it, only wanted to build it. There is a floor version on Youtube that includes motor for drill bit for actual screw. Cool machine, but more than I needed / wanted.

jack duren
12-27-2023, 4:18 PM
I like it. When I’m done I slide it unde4 the bench till I need it again. Cost me time and one router..

John Adank
12-28-2023, 7:06 PM
Safetyspeed has been around since about 1958 when they first invented the vertical sliding panel saw. They produce other machines as well and are based in Minnesota. I know they mentioned they partnered with the University of MN in developing their new pocket hole machine. I’ve done a lot of digging around and can’t find much on the web about this specific pocket hole machine other than the companies own video which unfortunately doesn’t differentiate them from their direct competitor Castle. If they could articulate what improvements they’ve made over the Castle, I might give them a try. Even the email to the company asking them what set them apart from Castle was pretty vague. When I asked about the upgraded routers they referred to, they just said they use Dewalt routers. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised these days about what little effort some sales people put forth to sell a product or their lack of knowledge on the product they’re selling. Castle sounds like the best choice especially from what I’ve heard about their customer service at this point.