PDA

View Full Version : Jet Bandsaw JWBS18

David Clark!
12-26-2023, 11:58 AM
I currently own an older JWBS18 bandsaw. Up until now it has done everything I needed to do. It was bought used and came with a junky magnetic fence. I came into some pine and cherry 1 inch boards and was going to resaw them to 1/2 inch boards for a project. Fortunately I grabbed a piece of junk pine and tried to resaw it. It was not cut evenly from top to bottom. I started checking the squareness of the saw and it is the fence creating the problem. I have been toying with idea of getting a new bandsaw and started researching on here about 14 inch bandsaws. Everything I see is bigger is better so the real question I have is would I be better off spending the money on this saw upgrade it to 230V buy a guide from JET and replacing the guide bearings? I am retired and relatively inexperienced with woodworking so thanks in advance for any advice.

Zachary Hoyt
12-26-2023, 12:05 PM
I had one of those for 7 years and it was fine. For resawing you might want to get or make a better fence. Mine came (used, when I got it) with a factory looking mechanical fence that connected to a rail on the front of the table. It worked fine and stayed straight. For a one off resawing test you can make a wood or plywood fence and clamp it to the table. Just make sure the face and bottom are flat. Then if you like resawing on that saw you can get a better fence, or not if you don't. I switched to a Parks 18" bandsaw a couple of years ago to go from 9-1/2" to 11-3/4" of resaw depth. Otherwise I liked the Jet and would have happily kept it. I had the 1.5 hp motor connected to 115v power.

Mike Cutler
12-26-2023, 8:42 PM
David

Keep what you have and get, or make a better fence. Get the blade and fence square to the table and if you believe the guide bearings are in need in replacement, replace those.
Changing to 240vac, from 120 vac isn't going to do anything for you.
How wide are the boards you're re-sawing, and what are you using for a blade?

David Clark!
12-27-2023, 2:24 PM
It is 8 inch wide walnut. I have a 1 inch blade on it for resawing. Thank you.

Tom Bender
01-07-2024, 8:07 AM
A point fence is another way to go. Here's a pic of mine.

It seems to be good enough for all my needs.

Zachary Hoyt
01-07-2024, 8:17 AM
I think a 1" blade is a bit much for that saw, especially if you have the square column that was on the early ones. I tried a 1/2" and a 3/4" and found that for me the 1/2" 3 tpi worked better on that saw.

David Clark!
01-10-2024, 7:54 PM
Thank you all for responses. I have a new fence coming. The saw came with 4 blades 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch. I purchased a 1/2" blade. My son came buy and helped to make sure the saw square and set properly. It is sawing much better. As far as using the 1 inch blade I was going by what I had been reading. I am a rookie so any information is helpful.

Zachary Hoyt
01-10-2024, 9:40 PM
At least on mine the gauge went to 1-1/2" but realistically I think 3/4" was all it could take. The column on the early ones like what I had was square, and it would flex under too much tension. Later they added a triangular spine to the back of the column which helped. I bought mine used from an estate auction, so I don't know what the original owner did about blades. I'm glad to hear that yours is cutting better now, and I hope you'll like the new fence.