PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tools

Edward Weber
12-26-2023, 11:22 AM
Well, what did Santa bring everyone? Where are all the tool gloats?

My better half gifted me with some Bessey clamps and a Bosch power planer amongst other things.

Pat Germain
12-26-2023, 12:35 PM
Mrs. Pat either really likes me or just wants to get rid of me by keeping me in the shop. She gifted me a Milwaukee battery track saw. It's really spiffy. Unfortunately, she said she couldn't find any tracks. They were sold out all over town in Colorado Springs. So I got the saw, but I have not track to run it on.

Cameron Wood
12-26-2023, 12:41 PM
This was on my list-

And this, while not a Christmas present, just showed up a week ago at a price that was practically a gift.

Michael Burnside
12-26-2023, 12:44 PM
Santa delivered a spiffy new Shaper Origin. I’ve already played around with it and it’s awesome!

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 1:05 PM
Santa delivered a spiffy new Shaper Origin. I’ve already played around with it and it’s awesome!

Congratulations Michael! I've barely had a chance to play with mine due to the holidays, but hoping the next few days I can. Oh and I got a set of Richter Narex Chisels and a really awesome Brisket Knife for Christmas!

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 1:09 PM
Mrs. Pat either really likes me or just wants to get rid of me by keeping me in the shop. She gifted me a Milwaukee battery track saw. It's really spiffy. Unfortunately, she said she couldn't find any tracks. They were sold out all over town in Colorado Springs. So I got the saw, but I have not track to run it on.

Bummer Pat, that would be like a kid getting a train set for Christmas and no track with it :)

BTW, Festool tracks will work with that saw I believe and perhaps Makita as well? Congrats nonetheless!

Jim Becker
12-26-2023, 1:12 PM
The birdies and the pooch (assisted by Professor Dr. SWMBO, of course) brought me a WorkSharp and a Rockler Drill Guide. My older daughter also provided a box of 80 grit abrasives that I needed.

512652 512653 512654

Pat, you can use Festool and Makita tracks with the Milwaukee saw, but there is a "locking to the rail" feature that requires the Milwaukee version. Try ToolNut if that's important to you; otherwise, brand shop for track(s) in the length(s) you want.

Dwayne Watt
12-26-2023, 1:23 PM
The WorkSharp was the reason I ever reached SHARP consistently with my bench chisels and plane blades. I tried about every other manual method with less than adequate results. You got a great present as far as I am concerned.

Brian Tymchak
12-26-2023, 1:51 PM
The birdies and the pooch (assisted by Professor Dr. SWMBO, of course) brought me a WorkSharp and a Rockler Drill Guide. My older daughter also provided a box of 80 grit abrasives that I needed.

I highly recommend the diamond plated disks (https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-Magna-Disc-Sharpening-Kit-P399.aspx) for the WorkSharp.

The WorkSharp was the reason I ever reached SHARP consistently with my bench chisels and plane blades. I tried about every other manual method with less than adequate results. You got a great present as far as I am concerned.

Me too. For whatever reason, I never got good results with manual sharpening. Maybe I'm just too impatient... Worksharp helped me a lot.

Patty Hann
12-26-2023, 2:00 PM

So set it on the on the mantelpiece (for now) and position some Christmas greenery around it with lights, and those little ornaments that are about an inch in diameter.
Some small candy canes on it would not look out of place either (they being red and white, you know)

Ron Selzer
12-26-2023, 2:44 PM
Got a Bailey No. 3, Stanley No. 65 both worked over by James Spangler.
Gift card from Menards, clothes, underwear, etc.
Ron

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 3:05 PM
This showed up today. A late Christmas gift to myself in preparation for expanding into hand tools a bit more:

Pat Germain
12-26-2023, 3:38 PM
Bummer Pat, that would be like a kid getting a train set for Christmas and no track with it :)

BTW, Festool tracks will work with that saw I believe and perhaps Makita as well? Congrats nonetheless!

Yeah, I feel just like a kid who got a new Lionel with no track.

Is it better to get one long track or multiple short tracks which can connect? This is my first track saw.

Pat Germain
12-26-2023, 3:39 PM
So set it on the on the mantelpiece (for now) and position some Christmas greenery around it with lights, and those little ornaments that are about an inch in diameter.
Some small candy canes on it would not look out of place either (they being red and white, you know)

Tempted...

Jim Becker
12-26-2023, 3:52 PM
I highly recommend the diamond plated disks (https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-Magna-Disc-Sharpening-Kit-P399.aspx) for the WorkSharp.

Bryan, I have my eye on the diamond plate setup once I get to know the machine better. I spent a little bit of time today starting that process, doing a couple of wider chisels (they needed "work") and touching up my block plane iron and was pretty impressed.

Dwayne, I hear you. I can sharpen with my stones, but consistency isn't my forte with that...along with the imparience you mentioned. Even if the WorkSharp doesn't give me a "Brian Holcombe" quality edge (and I mean that sincerely...he is a master at razor sharp, proven when he was showing me how to do things properly) it's going to raise the level of preparedness of my tools from where they have been for way too long.

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 3:59 PM
Pat, In my opinion you need two tracks, a shorter one for croscutting 4' sheets and doors, etc. and a longer one for the long direction on plywood, 100" + is great.

Jim Becker
12-26-2023, 4:06 PM
Pat, In my opinion you need two tracks, a shorter one for croscuttin 4' sheets and doors, etc. and a longer one for the long direction on plywood, 100" + is great.
I'll take that further...it's also nice to have a "really short one" for shop utility, such as for use with mundane things like trimming a cabinet that's already assembled or cross cutting narrower stock without a big honkin' track sticking out and into your, um...well...you know :)

Dan Barber
12-26-2023, 4:17 PM
Good add on Jim, I have the one from my FMT table ~42", then 55" and 106". I have many time compilated the even shorter FSK track with angle stops for just what you mention. It's kind of a "take it to the work" miter saw.

Derek Meyer
12-26-2023, 6:30 PM
I'd like to have a shorter track than the 42" for certain things. I've considered buying a 55" and cutting it into two sections, a 24" and a 31", but I'm not sure how well that would work. If I can cut the edges clean and do some cleanup, it should be fine.

Robert Hayward
12-26-2023, 6:50 PM
I got two really nice mortise chisels in 3/8" and 1/4".

Albert Lee
12-27-2023, 3:25 AM
finally bought an ovolo cutter block by Omas.

Rob Luter
12-27-2023, 7:27 AM
Santa ordered me some #66 Beading cutters from LN to fit the vintage tool I found last month. He forgot to load them on his sleigh for Christmas so he mailed them instead. They should be here Saturday.

Larry Frank
12-27-2023, 7:28 AM
Congratulations to all you with spiffy presents. I did not get any tools and it is kind of sad or happy. I actually have all the tools I want...???? This last year I bought myself a laser to play with and I made Christmas ornaments and presents with it.

Patty Hann
12-27-2023, 7:48 AM
Veritas Plunge base and Accessories to use with my Foredom

Zachary Hoyt
12-27-2023, 7:50 AM
I bought a secondhand WorkSharp here on SMC a year or so ago and it has been great. My chisel bevels are much more consistent and nice than they were when I sharpened by hand. I hope you'll enjoy yours.

Ole Anderson
12-27-2023, 8:03 AM
Not woodworking related, but one son got me a Christmas set of four Knipex tools, the other got me a requested Klein 14 in 1 adjustable length screwdriver. Might be able to use them to help install the 2" lift kit my wife got me for our 2020 Cherokee.

Ole Anderson
12-27-2023, 8:06 AM
I'd like to have a shorter track than the 42" for certain things. I've considered buying a 55" and cutting it into two sections, a 24" and a 31", but I'm not sure how well that would work. If I can cut the edges clean and do some cleanup, it should be fine. Fine tooth carbide blade in your miter or table saw will work fine. Clean up with a fine tooth file.

Rich Engelhardt
12-27-2023, 8:17 AM
Pat, you can use Festool and Makita tracks with the Milwaukee saw, but there is a "locking to the rail" feature that requires the Milwaukee version. Try ToolNut if that's important to you; otherwise, brand shop for track(s) in the length(s) you want.
Makita, Wen and Milwaukee tracks all support the anti tip feature and it can be utilized interchangeably among those three.

In this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTghHvL7Wko

The author compares the anti tip feature of both the Milwaukee and the Makita - on a Wen track.

BTW - nice score on the portable drill guide. Thy come in super handy for things that otherwise leave you trying to figure out how you're going to do them.

Jim Becker
12-27-2023, 9:29 AM
I bought a secondhand WorkSharp here on SMC a year or so ago and it has been great. My chisel bevels are much more consistent and nice than they were when I sharpened by hand. I hope you'll enjoy yours.
Yea, on the two chisels I did yesterday just to see what was what, they were way off and not perpendicular to the centerline of the tool; one was the factory bevel and one was just "aged". The plane iron was also not quite what it should have been. I'm likely going to spend some more time today doing some more...it's a rainy day and I'm tired of sitting around due to this wrist thing. The scale supports me on that idea, too... :D

Jim Becker
12-27-2023, 9:36 AM
BTW - nice score on the portable drill guide. Thy come in super handy for things that otherwise leave you trying to figure out how you're going to do them.
Yea, it's not a tool I "needed" but I figured it's a good tool to have for "those times" when a hole needs to be done precisely in a spot that can't be supported by the DP or is in an existing thing or needs to be at a particular angle with reasonable accuracy. (think maybe in a chair seat) What I really appreciate about the Rockler version is that it's Centrotec compatible, given all my drill/drivers are Festool. So I put in on my "Santa list" and for some reason, Professor Dr. SWMBO bought it. She actually said she wants me in the shop more this year since this year has been a lot of distraction with both her medical needs and those of our older daughter.

Paul Saffold
12-27-2023, 10:13 AM
Based on the good advice from Creakers, I bought myself a Wen 7.25 track saw, 2 Makita 55" tracks, a Freud blade, TSO guide rail connectors and a Cen-Tec Systems 94192 Quick Click 16 Ft. Hose for Home and Shop Vacuums.
I would still like to get a much shorter track compatible with Makita et.al.

Jim Becker
12-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Based on the good advice from Creakers, I bought myself a Wen 7.25 track saw, 2 Makita 55" tracks, a Freud blade, TSO guide rail connectors and a Cen-Tec Systems 94192 Quick Click 16 Ft. Hose for Home and Shop Vacuums.
I would still like to get a much shorter track compatible with Makita et.al.
Paul, Makia has a 39" available...$81 on Amazon. For a little less, you could buy the two pack of WEN and cut one down to a couple of "shorties". I have the short Makita and use it with my Festool saw in the shop and house for general utility as I've mentioned previously.

Myles Moran
12-27-2023, 10:37 AM
Thanks Jim, looks like I might be finding a worksharp under the tree before it's put away for the year. Looks way easier than my honing guide setup I'm currently using, and the price is right.

My wife is claiming Christmas credit for the bandsaw (g0513x2bf) I got earlier this month, and given she helped me get it into my basement, I think that definitely counts.

Dan Barber
12-27-2023, 12:23 PM
Not a tool, but I thought it appropriate here just the same:

Pat Germain
12-27-2023, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips about tracks. I will look around to see what tracks are available locally. If I can't find any, I will order a short track and a REALLY long track.

Ted Calver
12-27-2023, 2:03 PM
After 80+ years Santa finally delivered. I figured my list got lost in the mail, or possibly there was some naughtiness going on, but I'm putting on my protective gear and waiting for the mauraders...oh, and I did get a nice shinto rasp and some 3-2-1 set up blocks too.
512716, 512717

Dan Barber
12-27-2023, 3:55 PM
Narex Richter Chisels from the Mrs.

Derek Meyer
12-27-2023, 4:54 PM
Santa brought me three woodworking books (including Understanding Wood) and a Dewalt compact router kit with plunge and fixed bases.

I'm now saving for a Hammer A3-41 jointer/planer. Acutally, I have the money saved for it and a new dust collector, but I promised my wife I would finish the deck I started building this fall before I bought a large tool. So it's looking like late Spring before I can order it. By that time I might have enough for a Laguna 18BX bandsaw as well. One can hope!

Derek

Patty Hann
12-27-2023, 5:43 PM
After 80+ years Santa finally delivered. I figured my list got lost in the mail, or possibly there was some naughtiness going on, but I'm putting on my protective gear and waiting for the mauraders...oh, and I did get a nice shinto rasp and some 3-2-1 set up blocks too.
512716, 512717
You'll shoot your eye out...

https://youtu.be/mrAwb9ptu9U

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2023, 9:37 AM
Ted, I had to look that up, that’s fantastic.

I don’t remember Red Ryder BB guns, mine from childhood wasn’t that fancy, might be different models sold in different countries.

Regards, Rod

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2023, 9:41 AM
Edward, sounds like you received some really nice tools.

I received donation receipts for Christmas dinner for 100 people at a local charity, and a couple for animal welfare organizations.

I don’t normally accept presents however we spent Christmas with my daughter and we all received matching pj’s.

Regards, Rod

Keith Christopher
01-03-2024, 2:56 PM
I got a couple of long time longings. Track saw and mitre saw.

Pat Germain
01-03-2024, 3:37 PM
I got a couple of long time longings. Track saw and mitre saw.

Did your track saw come with a track?

Keith Christopher
01-03-2024, 4:02 PM
Did your track saw come with a track?

It did. I even designed and 3d printed end caps for it to protect them.

Derek Kessler
01-05-2024, 1:23 AM
Probably a little late for this thread. The missus gifted me a DeWalt cordless router, will be putting it to good use this weekend on my projects. Also got some clamps, will never have enough of those.

Keith Christopher
01-05-2024, 10:38 AM
Probably a little late for this thread. The missus gifted me a DeWalt cordless router, will be putting it to good use this weekend on my projects. Also got some clamps, will never have enough of those.

My wife saw me looking at clamps and was like don't you have enough of those....

Robert Hayward
01-05-2024, 7:40 PM
Prior to Christmas I told my daughter Lowe's had parallel clamps on sale. She answered, You starting on Lowe's now? You already have more clamps than Home Depot.

Bryan Hunt
01-07-2024, 2:30 PM
My Christmas tool should be in Dallas by now and hopefully in route to me next week. I'll post pics when it arrives :).