PDA

View Full Version : Calling All MM16 Tuners

Jay Albrandt
02-04-2006, 9:46 PM
Hello All,

I will be resawing a lot in the near future so I thought this would be a good time to tune the bandsaw.

After ripping and jointing a "straight edge" of 3/4 MDF, I used it to align the wheels on the same plane. No problem. When the blade is tensioned, it tracks straight down the center of both wheels. However, the teeth of the blade should ride off the front of the wheels to keep the set (right?), and after adjusting the top wheel, it still doesn't ride forward enough on the bottom wheel, and of course they are now not in plane.

So, do I need to adjust both wheels under tension to get the blade position first, then sneak up on the plane of the wheels?

Thanks for your input?

Jay

Jim Becker
02-04-2006, 9:50 PM
My MM16 didn't need any adjustments, but yes, the teeth ride off the edge of the wheels for a flat-tired wheel. (The MM16, at least mine, does not have crowned wheels like my old 14 Jet did) You can turn the wheels by hand with the blade under tension as you are working on the tracking. (Saw unplugged...even though you have the safety microswitches on this machine...)

peter kolb
02-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Jay
I am not concerned that the upper and lower wheel arre in the same plane.
I use a 1 in. carbide blade. I adjusted the upper wheel so that the gullet
of the teeth run JUST off of the wheel. Do not over do it or you will cut a groove in the door and ruin the blade. Do the same for the lower wheel.
The manual that comes with the saw needs work. There is another manual for the saw on the yahoo group mini-max site eithe under file or links. One way
of finding the site is go to mini-max usa web site and there is a link to the yahoo group excellent info. peter kolb in south central n j

peter kolb
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Jim
Somehow my machine missed the inspection and adjustments at the factory.
I had to adjust the upper and lower wheels-adjust the brake micro switch-replace the tension spring-replace the blade guard covering the upper guides. I have done some flat sawing and a little resawing and I hope the
problems are behind me. Peter Kolb in south central nj

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Peter...sorry to hear you had to do a lot of work on your machine, especially since I was the one "twisting your arm" to get it. Unfortunately, that happens sometimes. I do hope you asked for and got the assistance you needed from the techs at MM. If not, let them know about it!

peter kolb
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Jim The Mini max people were very helpful especially Sam .
I walked into the show subconsciously wanting to buy a band saw.
Your roll was to elivate my subconscious into a commitment. I thank you for that. Peter Kolb in south nj

Butch Spears
02-05-2006, 4:20 PM
Peter & Jay I'm sure MM will take care of the problems.I visited their offices this week in Austin Tx. I have a mm16 ordered,it is supposed to be there the 15th. I ordered mine from Sam over the phone and I was in Austin for meeting and just dropped in. Sam was very eager to show me around. He has a classroom shop in back where he teaches,so he uses what they sell and can relate when there is a problem. Good Luck with a Fix. Butch