PDA

View Full Version : Christmas woodworking haul

Tony Wilkins
12-24-2023, 6:33 PM
Here’s my tool haul for Christmas…

not in the picture was the three books — The Sundquist sloyd book and two Mortise and Tenon magazine books.

Mark Rainey
12-24-2023, 7:52 PM
I see you are having a Merry Christmas Tony! I am getting my first drawknife from James Spangler and a handle for my Veritas hold down from Dan Barber - it doesn't get any better!

Tony Wilkins
12-24-2023, 8:13 PM
I see you are having a Merry Christmas Tony! I am getting my first drawknife from James Spangler and a handle for my Veritas hold down from Dan Barber - it doesn't get any better!
Drawknife is a blast to use. Just looked up the hold down handle. Pretty cool but I only use mine once in a blue moon.

Tom Bussey
01-02-2024, 11:18 AM
Mark,

The second year that my wife and I were married, my wife got me some ski goggles. 10 years latter I was a National Ski Patrol member. In 1973I bought a Craftsman RAS, and I am still at it.

Jim does good work so congratulations, now you will have to build a shave horse just to use it, that is unless you already have one. Usually the tool comes first then the inspiration. To Tony, reading or watching how to sharpen cabinet scrapers is the easy part. Actually being able to sharpen a scraper takes a little time. But you will love them they are a beautiful tool to use. I do not know anything about the rest of what you got.

Thanks for posting what you got.

Tony Wilkins
01-02-2024, 11:57 AM
So far so good on card scrapers. I’ve had square ones for a few years. Mostly follow CS. Used some of my Christmas money and got…

Tom Bussey
01-02-2024, 5:24 PM
Looks like you will be needing to build a shave horse too.

Tony Wilkins
01-02-2024, 5:35 PM
Have one and will be using it when I get to chairmaking.

Mark Rainey
01-02-2024, 8:24 PM
Mark,

The second year that my wife and I were married, my wife got me some ski goggles. 10 years latter I was a National Ski Patrol member. In 1973I bought a Craftsman RAS, and I am still at it.

Jim does good work so congratulations, now you will have to build a shave horse just to use it, that is unless you already have one. Usually the tool comes first then the inspiration. To Tony, reading or watching how to sharpen cabinet scrapers is the easy part. Actually being able to sharpen a scraper takes a little time. But you will love them they are a beautiful tool to use. I do not know anything about the rest of what you got.

Thanks for posting what you got.

Yes Tom, the drawknife is a beauty. I will get on that shave horse

Tom Bussey
01-03-2024, 3:12 PM
I have wanted to build a shave horse for several years now. I also have several drew knives. Building a shave horse is one thing, using it is another. I just like building benches and things.

Jim Koepke
01-07-2024, 7:03 PM
My son, stationed in Korea, sent me a plane, my first Japanese style plane.

The 5" draw knife was bought for myself.

My grandchildren, daughters and Candy mostly bought me books (some on woodworking projects) and hats. Most of my old hats have been around for years.

Took the plane out to the shop today and after a little bit of fettling got it to take some nice shavings.

The draw knife still needs some work.

jtk

Mark Rainey
01-07-2024, 9:30 PM
Nice Jim, how are you going to get that drawknife shiny and sharp?

Jim Koepke
01-08-2024, 1:14 AM
Nice Jim, how are you going to get that drawknife shiny and sharp?

I'm not greatly into shiny so much as sharp. I do have some abrasive material that is kind of like Scotch Brite but it seems to be much stiffer and having a very hard abrasive. To the best of my memory it was purchased at the local Blue or Orange Borg.

Next time in the shop I will try to remember to take a picture of it.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
01-08-2024, 8:06 AM
FYI Tony what you picture and call a drawknife is also known more commonly as a scorp. My first drawknife and scorp for chairmaking 20+ years ago were made by the late Ray Larsen and stamped with his company name, Genuine Forgery. He made really great stuff.

Tony Wilkins
01-08-2024, 12:17 PM
FYI Tony what you picture and call a drawknife is also known more commonly as a scorp. My first drawknife and scorp for chairmaking 20+ years ago were made by the late Ray Larsen and stamped with his company name, Genuine Forgery. He made really great stuff.
The drawknife discussion was for the other two. I got the scorp for chair making someday hopefully maybe.

Tony Wilkins
01-08-2024, 3:30 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/jI5fsXl9DLI?si=-FiBo0-9FLxLlUnK
Here’s me playing around with it (had a high edge to take down.