PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunt "Trophy"

steven c newman
12-23-2023, 6:22 PM
Road Trip yesterday..drove past 2 Antique Stores in Urbana, OH. found out the tool seller in one, had moved over to the other store...as they sit side by side on that block...
Was looking for something I did not have in the shop.....I was going to but a trio of Gimlets ($10!)...until I saw this "Thing" sitting on the shelf..
Price, counting Sales Tax? $16.09...10" long, 3/4" in diameter..cutter is 2-1/2" wide...
Have not found much of a logo..yet...Knurled handles do NOT come off...this is a solid steel object...not sure who made this...seems to be patterned after a Millers Falls No. 1 or No. 2 Cigar Shave...except for the wood handles..
Iron IS a bit "chippy", and I'll have to learn HOW to bring the edge back..
So...not too bad of a day?

steven c newman
12-25-2023, 10:29 AM
Might try and sharpen the cutter on this, later today? Loosen two bolts, slide the cutter out...then try to remove a few chip-outs along the edge..

may even wire wheel the rest of that nasty Clear Coat that the Seller sprayed on...?

steven c newman
12-25-2023, 2:35 PM
Cleaned of all that nasty Clear Coat stuff..
And given a try at beveling an edge..
Chips in the edge have been removed...and the unicorn used..
Wire wheel (that seems to like to shed wire) to clean off the Clear Coat and any rust under it....Cloth wheel and the Green "Crayon" to sharpen the final edge with

Part of a Clean & Sharpen Day....

Eric Brown
12-25-2023, 6:00 PM
Looks to have been made by a machinist. Solid steel should help it stay in contact. The similar ones I have like to take thin shavings. Good find.

Merry Christmas Steven.