PDA

View Full Version : My personal triumph...............maybe

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 8:58 PM
I've been real hesitant to say anything............Mark Singer started a thread earlier about New Year's resolutions...........I don't do resolutions.....I don't promise anything I dont know I can produce. But........January 4th I decided to quit my 40 year....1 1/2 pack per day smoking habit........January 13th flying late at night into Spokane from a 1 week business trip to Milwaukee....I had to drive for 2 hours to Lewiston...needed coffee to stay awake.....coffee...well cigarettes go with it.....I bought a pack and smoked them on the 13th, 14th and ran out on the 15th. :( I haven't had any since. :) All of my SMC friends can be glad they are out of arms reach:D ..........The LOML quit 15 years ago and she knows how hard it is. She's been extemely understanding! I have smoked 1 pack since January 4th. Not perfect but none since the 15th of January.......I think I stand a good chance of defeating this habit! It was time to quit......I think this time I'm going to make it.......I have my moments of unbelieveable desire but I tell myself I'm going to go another couple of moments. No promises. Wish me well!

John Bailey
02-04-2006, 9:13 PM
Ken,

Keep posting, we'll be right behind you 100%. You need to do this for your future lathe projects. Besides, smelling those wood shavings will probably help.

John

Joe Mioux
02-04-2006, 9:25 PM
Ken:

Keep going. Smoke free is the way to be! Besides, look at all the money you will save ....ooops...wait....you got a lathe now don't you. hmmm.

O.K. Look at all the money that you are going to be spending on turning tools rather than cigs!

Joe

Christopher Pine
02-04-2006, 9:34 PM
I stand a good chance of defeating this habit! It was time to quit......I think this time I'm going to make it.......I have my moments of unbelieveable desire but I tell myself I'm going to go another couple of moments. No promises. Wish me well![/QUOTE]

There is no "chance or think"... just do! You can do it! We all belive in you!

Chris

Mike Hollingsworth
02-04-2006, 9:38 PM
Best of Luck to you.
I'm working on month four.
It's still hell.

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2006, 9:49 PM
You go Ken..!!!!!!!!! I'm standing with ya buddy. Smoking is something I never did take up....just couldn't stand the smell. Tried it for a while and still didn't like it. Best of luck to ya Ken.....I KNOW you can do this..!!!!!

Tim Morton
02-04-2006, 9:54 PM
i LOVE hearing stories like this...keep at it sir!!!!!

Pete Lamberty
02-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Good for you Ken. I too think it is time for you to quit. And I think you will. Great news!

Ron Jones near Indy
02-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm pulling for you Ken! That's a habit I never have had, but I've seen others struggle with quitting. I know it's tough, but you can do it.

Steve Ash
02-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Ken, congrats on your progress so far. Stay focused and motivated, I quit my 1 pack a day, can a chew a day, habit 19 years, 3 months and 10 days ago. I still get cravings, but won't give in. I really miss a cigar once in a while too.

I'll be pulling for you to kick the habit for good.

Von Bickley
02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Ken,

Hang in there... It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but you can do it.

It will get better...;)

Dan Forman
02-05-2006, 4:06 AM
Ken---Congrats, I think you are on the right track with the moment by moment thing. They say that each individual episode of craving only lasts about five minutes, so if you get past that, it goes away for a bit. It's a lot easier to say "no" for a few moments, than if you are thinking too far into the furure. Attitude is very important too, knowing that it's time works in your favor. I've been smoke free for about 15 years now, you can do it too.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
02-05-2006, 5:06 AM
Stick with it Ken. You've gone this far...you can go the rest of the way. It's a journey I need to take myself, but I haven't gotten mad at myself enough yet. The day's coming, though.

- Vaughn

Michael Stafford
02-05-2006, 6:37 AM
Ken, I wish you well and continued success with your efforts to quit.

Last Thanksgiving I celebrated 4 years without smoking. I smoked for nearly 40 years having started in college. My wife gave me a check for all the money we saved the first year and it was over $2K. It is hard to imagine how much money I burned over the years. I still find myself reaching for the shirt pocket in certain situations. But it does get easier. Good luck!

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-05-2006, 6:41 AM
Dude....good luck to you. I've quit three or four times in the past couple months. :(

I've gotten to where I think about it every time I light one. I'm disgusted with myself...so maybe soon. My wife is 3 years clean...but she's NOT understanding. She turned into the rabid antismoker quicker than most. ;)

KC

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 7:17 AM
I think this time I'm going to make it.......I have my moments of unbelieveable desire but I tell myself I'm going to go another couple of moments. No promises. Wish me well!

Ken,
As you know by now...this SMC group is rooting for you...and has the power to help you change your life. Here's a little info to help you through the moments of trying to fend off the addiction...
Within 20 minutes after you smoke that last cigarette, your body begins a series of changes that continue for years.

20 Minutes After Quitting
Your heart rate drops.
12 hours After Quitting
Carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting
Your heart attack risk begins to drop.
Your lung function begins to improve.
1 to 9 Months After Quitting
Your Coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
1 Year After Quitting
Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker’s.
5 Years After Quitting
Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker’s 5-15 years after quitting.
10 Years After Quitting
Your lung cancer death rate is about half that of a smoker’s.
Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases.
15 Years After Quitting
Your risk of coronary heart disease is back to that of a nonsmoker’s.
<!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="../../includes/00_ordering_info_gen.htm" TAG="BODY" startspan -->

Karl Laustrup
02-05-2006, 8:06 AM
Ken you can do it. Is it easy, NO, but it is doable.

I've started year 9 since I quit after almost 40 years of smoking. The last 2-3 years at 1-1/2 - 2 packs per day. Cold turkey on New Years Eve night 1997 at about 9 PM was my last cigarette. The first 3-6 months are the hardest, at least for me. Once I passed that point I was past the point of ever going back.

Yeah, I'm 25-30 pounds heavier than I was. I attribute that to food tasting so much better now and a lack of exercise, but I wouldn't/couldn't go back to smoking now for any thing.

Hang in there buddy and let us know if we can help.

Get that lathe running and start turning. If your turning you can't be smoking. :)

Karl

tod evans
02-05-2006, 8:16 AM
way to go ken! i took a different route, quit a 2 1/2 pack per day of non-filter camels habbit and took up a pipe right before thanks giving......i`ve not quit but i`ve slacked off alot!....02 tod

John Hart
02-05-2006, 9:04 AM
I think you may have just inspired me Ken. I'm sitting here thinking, "hmmmm...is NOW the time?" I never smoke at work...just too busy and it doesn't bother me one bit. But once I get in the car...the habit takes over.
I don't even enjoy it. Maybe now is the time.

Jim Dunn
02-05-2006, 9:15 AM
As I read this thread I thought I was one of the only smokers left on the planet. Am I glad I'm not the only one still smoking? Yes and no. It's nice to have a cigarette with a friend but then you miss out on other conversations cause you were outside smoking.

Recently, with the addition of a granddaughter I've tried to limit my smoking to my office and my shop. As I'm hoping some day to see her in there with grandpa I'm probably going to have to quit altogether.

Good luck to all who attempt this!! It is the hardest thing I've ever tried and failed at, miserably. (next to turning):)

Jim

Jesse Merino
02-05-2006, 9:22 AM
Ken, my prayers are with you on your endeavor...

I was a three pack a day smoker, and it was tough.... I quit twice...then never looked back...

No, after 20 years, I dont miss it a bit, nor do I have cravings...

Now beer...
That was another thing...
A 12 pack a day for 14 years, and I still wish every now and then for one...
But, I loved it more than smoking, of course, I have been off the sauce only12 years now :)

Heres to wishing you the best, and praying for your health...Jesse

Bart Leetch
02-05-2006, 9:31 AM
We believe in you Ken. I've always said if you don't have them where you can get 1 in your hand you can't get it up to you mouth. So don't keep any around & walk away from anyone with one ready to light. You don't need the temptation.

John Shuk
02-05-2006, 9:49 AM
As long as you don't smoke that first one you'll be ok. I quit about 11 years ago and still know how tough it can be. A craving only lasts about 2 minutes they say. So tough it out and talk it out. That worked for me. That isn't to say another won't come quick but it is only 2 minutes. Good luck pal.

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Hang in there, Ken. I thoroughly applaud you for quitting. I have never smoked...ever...and have a passion for applauding folks who quit. (My hands are clapping... ;) )

Jerry Clark
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Hang in there Ken, you have a lot of support in SMC. If you feel the need to smoke, just turn on the computer. ;) Great health gift. One of the best laws in California, no smoking in public buildings-- That includes JAILS. Talk about punishment!:D It has helped a lot of people to stop smoking.

Bryan Somers
02-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Way to go Ken!!!!! One day at a time. It will get easier.

Rob Littleton
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Hang in there bro......

I, like others, have never smoked but I did have a sauce problem. Coming on 3 years dry and I have a shop full of tools to prove it. The point I am making is, the money you use to set fire to can be used for another pleasure. Also, those around you will ENJOY being around you coz THEY dont have to smoke anymore.

God bless you bro. Hang in there and please request prayer if you feel you are struggling. WE can do this :-)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-05-2006, 1:12 PM
Keep at it Ken, you CAN do it!

I never smoked before, but a few years ago, I had a cigar, and I liked it. I now have a cigar every now and then, but I go for months with out having one, and then I'll have one, but this is usually a special occasion, not an every day, or every week thing.

I guess we all choose our poison, but I'll put it this way, I drink even less (yes, I own a liquor shop!) than I smoke cigars. When I was young and dumb, I'd drink a two-four of beer in a weekend without even thinking about it, now that two-four would last me a year! :eek:

Keep it up Ken, you are doing great!

Rich Konopka
02-05-2006, 1:34 PM
Ken,

I smoked when I was younger and quite 22 years ago. It is hard. No, it is real Hard. A few years ago I was living and working in Zurich and everyone smokes over there and I started again. When my gig finished so did the cig's. It is tough because I still have the cravings once in a while for a good smoke. I tried cigars and it isn't the same. Hang in there !!

Scott Donley
02-05-2006, 2:35 PM
Ken, Wish you the best of luck. I've quit about 10 times, hoping the next time will be my last. I guess nothing really worth while is easy. Keep it up, when you make it, maybe it will help to see it really can be done. Go for it !

Carl Eyman
02-05-2006, 3:07 PM
Good for you, Ken. I've read what the Creekers have said about the risks you are avoiding - and they are right, but, also doesn't your mouth feel cleaner in the morning? Mine used to taste like the Iraqi army had bivouaced there over night. Doesn't your food taste better? You can lose weight later, but for now treat yourself to what tastes good. The biggest help I had in staying away from smoking was the knowledge of how hard the first week or so is. Once that pulsing in your neck glands quits it gets a little easier, but the thought of having to go through those initial pains is enough to keep me away forever. Stick with it. It's worth it. Besides, I'll bet LOYL's kisses are longer and sweeter now that your breath is cleaner.

Bob Swenson
02-05-2006, 3:26 PM
Mark Twain said that it was easy to quit, he quit a hundred times. but
it's not easy . Its about the hardest thing you can do. after three trys I made it back in '62. Maybe thats why I am still getting so old:confused:
You can do it

Roger Bailey
02-05-2006, 3:42 PM
Keep on with it Ken...you can do what ever you put your mind too!

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2006, 6:12 PM
Ken, you can do it, and we're all behind you. I, like others, never smoked. But until I was 5 years old, my dad smoked 4 packs a day. Must have only used 1 or 2 matches a day. I remember him lighting the next one off the last one before putting it out. Heck, he didn't even gain weight when he quit. I'm a firm believer that until you want to quit, you'll never be able to. Knowing you need to is not enough. So tell me, do YOU want to quit? I think you current actions say YES!!!! We're behind you. Jim.

Martin Shupe
02-05-2006, 7:35 PM
Ken,

You can add my voice to the chorus. I am rooting for you too. Hang in there.

Frank Pellow
02-05-2006, 8:21 PM
I have never smoked, so I don't know what you are going through. But, I do know that success will give you more years to enjoy your new shop. Keep to it Ken!

Mark Singer
02-05-2006, 8:47 PM
Ken...Keep doin it! Cogrdulations!

Bill Lewis
02-06-2006, 6:06 AM
April of last year I came down with a really bad cold, the second one for the season which was pretty unusal for me. It turns out I had bronchitus, which was also a first. For about three days straight I couldn't even look at a cigarette. I had heard somewhere that once you get past the first three days the rest get easier. So I figured I would give it a try and see how long I could make it last. It started out as one day at a time, and then one week at a time. When I stopped counting the days, weeks, and months that's when I knew I had it licked. I think it took about three months to totally get through the cravings, and to break the habitual aspects, like a smoke with coffee, or a beer, or after eating, or when driving long distances.

So hang in there and take it one day at a time, and before you know it you'll get there.

Mike Ramsey
02-06-2006, 10:06 AM
YOU CAN MAKE IT KEN!! My guess is that it might be
one of the hardest things you will do, even harder than turning dried Mesquite! :) I quit after 23 years, 14 since I quit.
Wishing you, John, & whomever else tries to quit the very best of luck!!