PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing miter corners

Brian Runau
12-23-2023, 9:08 AM
Building a corner computer desk. Pull out tray for the keyboard is @ 28 x 21 deep with 5/8" sides and undermount guides. I can't fit a domino mortise/tenon through the inside corner of the joint just not enough meat there. Without building another jig....I can only think of adding brads on both sides of each corner so they would be at 90 degrees to each other. No real load on this, so I'm not sure I even need this. Height of the side is 1-1/2.

Thanks.

Brian

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2023, 9:25 AM
Finger joint.

Brian Runau
12-23-2023, 9:28 AM
Finger joint.

Something like that, but no jig to hold the work at 45 on the table saw, i'm being lazy this morning. Brian

Maurice Mcmurry
12-23-2023, 9:32 AM
Using mini biscuits in miters is helpful to me in similar situations.

Before I had the little Ryobi I used the router table and a big holding block cut at a 45. Tiny biscuits can be made from 1/8 inch plywood from the craft store.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2023, 10:01 AM
If it’s at the back of the drawer where no one will see it, you could use a small corner block. But that’s pretty much a last resort, half-### solution. I’d try to find a better way.

Michael Burnside
12-23-2023, 10:01 AM
A 4mm domino is too big? Seems like a small miter if so. Without pictures splines would be my first choice then.

Brian Runau
12-23-2023, 11:13 AM
A 4mm domino is too big? Seems like a small miter if so. Without pictures splines would be my first choice then.

5mm is smallest bit and tenon I have in my shop and is too big. thanks brian

Brian Runau
12-23-2023, 12:00 PM
I found a sled hidden in a corner that I made from a previous project. I'll figure out a way to hold the frame at 45 and give it a couple passes over the table saw on each corner and add a couple splines for strength. thanks brian

Richard Coers
12-23-2023, 12:12 PM
Add a vertical spline in the joint. All you have to do is place the drawer part flat on the table saw and cut a slot perpendicular to the mitered edge.

Michael Burnside
12-23-2023, 2:02 PM
5mm is smallest bit and tenon I have in my shop and is too big. thanks brian

So go buy a 4mm bit and set of dominos? I mean aren’t we all looking for the next new tool for the next new job?

Jim Becker
12-23-2023, 3:14 PM
Add a vertical spline in the joint. All you have to do is place the drawer part flat on the table saw and cut a slot perpendicular to the mitered edge.
^^ This is an excellent and strong solution that's easy to do, too

John TenEyck
12-23-2023, 3:38 PM
Several options. Vertical splines like Richard showed, or horizontal slip splines, or simple dowels from the outside, like this, which are easy to do and look good in some situations.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ABLVV87UTRrpvJdxA1s0WIuoEzsUaqrSweHpODttFB3YGUdnSr CdpIeD1Xht5DaKPUOsG8MG7cbsyCQNLVVZPxVPPne0OSRP95jQ GwVVXfsaY7DlaaCHwxVpL2PDyvXCqMLaBr_ZMcJWFshiqKMXwb km0JOqTw=w498-h885-s-no?authuser=1

John

Warren Lake
12-23-2023, 4:11 PM
did 175 small boxes past and they were splined corners. Sides were only 1/2" as per past shop that built them. Old guys i knew used splines.

Michael Burnside
12-23-2023, 6:06 PM
^^ This is an excellent and strong solution that's easy to do, too

Agreed. I mentioned this as well. Could even use exposed if strength isnt absolutely critical

Lee Schierer
12-23-2023, 6:48 PM
A couple of things I have learned about miter joints. When you glue them place glue on both halves of the joint. To make the joint stronger you can add a spline all across the log side of the joint between the two faces as you glue it up. Or, you can make a box spline jig (https://newtonmakes.com/blog/box-spline-jig) like you would use for putting splines in the corners of a box.box

If you look closely at the joints on this glass topped table I made 15 years ago you can see the splines in the angled joints. None of the joints have failed despite pretty heavy use. I used my tenoning jig to cut the slots for the splines.

John Ziebron
12-23-2023, 10:44 PM
Like Maurice, I've had the little Ryobi biscuit joiner for years and use it on occasions like this. Like it's big brothers it has 3 biscuit sizes. It especially works well for picture frames where you don't want the see the end of a spline joint. And if the material is thick enough I use 2 biscuits vertically. I've never had one of these joints fail, even on a large lazy susan with a marble inlay.

Warren Lake
12-23-2023, 10:57 PM
think ive read the one over the other is a positive thing with a good increase in strength. I was told by the past guy he used the ryobi and then went to splines as his customer said fine. a bit Commercial work. Since splines were okay and a large quantity its faster and not as fiddly as biscuit way.

andy bessette
12-24-2023, 1:17 AM
A photo of the application would have been helpful.

I like slip feathers for certain mitered joints.

https://i.postimg.cc/4dQ7bF5q/bandit-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Brian Runau
12-24-2023, 6:59 AM

TA-DA! Richard , you win. Safe, no new jigs or tools. Appreciate your help. Brian

Brian Runau
12-24-2023, 10:40 AM
Found this video of how to cut through splines without a jig on the table saw.
Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRPbkUVsVxQ

andy bessette
12-24-2023, 11:38 AM
Found this video of how to cut through splines without a jig on the table saw.
Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRPbkUVsVxQ

Those are slip feathers, not "through splines".

Brian Runau
12-24-2023, 12:46 PM
Those are slip feathers, not "through splines".

Ok. Brian

Stan Calow
12-24-2023, 1:29 PM
. . . and the "external splines" shown at the beginning of that video are what I've always heard referred to as "keys".
Just a reminder how terminology is not universally understood. Like grooves vs dadoes.