PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter and the moon near each other for a few nights.

Bill Dufour
12-22-2023, 10:05 PM
FYI: Jupiter and the moon will be next to each other for the next several nights. The two brightest objects in the night sky.
Tonight is the longest night of the year.
Bill D.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-23-2023, 7:37 AM
Thanks Bill! I look forward to the days getting longer. I was disappointed that there was not a Pearl Harbor Day reminder this year. (or did I miss it?).

Stan Calow
12-23-2023, 8:42 AM
Thanks for the reminder Bill. I just recently took up astronomy, and realize now that it was a mistake to have started a hobby best done after midnight, in the cold weather at my age.

Bill Dufour
12-23-2023, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reminder Bill. I just recently took up astronomy, and realize now that it was a mistake to have started a hobby best done after midnight, in the cold weather at my age.
You can always take up watching the submarine races. A good way to meet girls dressed for the beach.
Bill D

Patty Hann
12-23-2023, 4:43 PM

There's always solar astronomy, and lunar astronomy.

Bruce Wrenn
12-23-2023, 7:10 PM
Just came back from shop (detached) and noticed the two bright lights in the night sky

Maurice Mcmurry
12-23-2023, 7:51 PM
I do my star gazing in the morning between 2 and 4 am. Wake up on the couch to find that I left a light on in the shop. Stumble out to turn it off and look around. Orion is my favorite thing about winter. Sometimes I can go back to sleep, sometimes not. I don't stay outside long either way.

Pat Germain
12-26-2023, 12:44 PM
That's a lot of gravity, man.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with two women in a cab years ago. I was coming back from a business trip. Up front was the cab driver and a trainee who was obviously a friend of hers. We were crossing the Hampton Roads bridge-tunnel and the water was extremely high:

Me: Wow, the tide is really high today.

Driver: Yeah, we've had a lot of rain over the past week.

Me: (After a pause.) Well, rain doesn't really affect the tides.

Driver: (Looking at me with skepticism in the rear view mirror.) Oh really? Well if the rain doesn't make the tides higher, what does?

Me: Well, the Moon has a lot to do with it.

Driver: Oh, so the rain doesn't make the tide higher, but the MOON does.

Driver and trainee: Ha-ha-ha! That's a good one!

Me: (Under my breath.) Dammit, I know I'm right...

Patty Hann
12-27-2023, 7:37 AM
That's a lot of gravity, man.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with two women in a cab years ago. I was coming back from a business trip. Up front was the cab driver and a trainee who was obviously a friend of hers. We were crossing the Hampton Roads bridge-tunnel and the water was extremely high:

Me: Wow, the tide is really high today.

Driver: Yeah, we've had a lot of rain over the past week.

Me: (After a pause.) Well, rain doesn't really affect the tides.

Driver: (Looking at me with skepticism in the rear view mirror.) Oh really? Well if the rain doesn't make the tides higher, what does?

Me: Well, the Moon has a lot to do with it.

Driver: Oh, so the rain doesn't make the tide higher, but the MOON does.

Driver and trainee: Ha-ha-ha! That's a good one!

Me: (Under my breath.) Dammit, I know I'm right...

And I'll bet you don't know what causes wind. It's trees, waving their branches.