PDA

View Full Version : Following Andy's advice......................

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 8:42 PM
Woodcraft just got an order for a slow speed 8" grinder, a Wolverine grinding jig and a vari-jig. I'm starting to gather turning stuff....................:D

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2006, 8:44 PM
Ken, I really think that is a must. I bought the exact same set up. Just listen to these pros and download the vidoes from oneway and watch over and over and over. I also have found that the skew jig, in my opinion just isn't needed. I like doing them without it and it works just fine.
Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-04-2006, 8:53 PM
Good Start, Ken!

Bruce

Keith Burns
02-04-2006, 9:19 PM
Well on your way, not get some sleep if you can !:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-04-2006, 9:41 PM
Nice gloat Ken. Good stuff you got on the way.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 9:43 PM
I just reread this and I'm scared!!!!! :eek: I'm following Andy's advice? :eek: :eek: I AM SCARED!:eek: :eek: :D

Gary Max
02-04-2006, 9:51 PM
Ken this will really scare you----it never ends---I have been turning as along as I can remember and I still have a list of tools/toys that I NEED for turning.
You have just started something that never ends.

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Congrats Ken on the grinder and Wolverine Jig. Like Corey said go to the Oneway site and download their video's on the Vari-Grind and Wolverine jig. I have watched them at least 4 times and catch something evreytime.

As far as Andy goes Ken be afraid, very afraid. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

Andy Hoyt
02-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Bernie's right. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

After my phone call with Ken this morning I decided I needed a new avatar to better reflect my renewed outlook on life. Broke out the crayons and a mirror; and did the ole self portrait thing.

Figured I should use you guys as a focus group to get it pre-approved.

John Hart
02-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Very handsome picture Andy.

Ken...sounds like you're almost ready to rock!!!!! Did ya turn it on yet?:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Hasn't been turned on yet John. But.....the MRI Tech David Griffith did offer me a table to mount it on and I think it'll have room for the grinder too! I'm waiting a while longer and then I'll order a cheap set of HF tools. It won't be long. I think I'm going to try to take a 1 day class at the Woodcraft store in Boise in March if my work schedule allows. Maybe the LOML and I'll get out of "dodge" for the weekend.

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Ken that would be great. I wish I had access to a Woodcraft or someplace that gave classes.

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Cory....Boise is 260 miles south of Lewiston.......It's a weekend escape for me and the LOML.

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Ahhh... well if you can do it it will be great.

Corey

John Hart
02-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Sounds good Ken. Come to think of it...I wouldn't mind going to Boise for a class. It would remind me of college....that is...if I could remember college:o

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-04-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31165&d=1139110489

Andy you shaved! :D

Ken, sounds like you are getting all of your ducks in a row, good for you !!!

Cheers!

John Bailey
02-05-2006, 5:39 AM
Ken,

Sounds like you've kept your wits about you through all this. Seems you are going at a planned and reasoned pace, and, especially, you're questioning whether you should be following Andy's advice. Very smart. At least Andy's got a better looking photo now.

John

Michael Stafford
02-05-2006, 6:28 AM
Ken, sounds like you are off to a fine start. Do you have any tools to sharpen? You do need tools. And there is such a wonderful selection of tools out there to choose from. And each and every one of them will make your turning success come that much quicker.:rolleyes: The old saying, "He who dies with the most tools wins the game" was invented by a woodturner.....:p

It is nice of your friend to offer the table but make sure it is the right height so you will be comfortable while turning. The center of your spindle should be at or slightly above the point where your bent elbow is. It can be higher depending on what you like to turn. I turn boxes mainly so I have to spend a lot of time looking inside the box while turning. I have found that it is easier to do this if the lathe is a little higher than when I am turning a bowl. Main thing is you don't want to be hunched over while turning or you will get fatigued.

Vaughn McMillan
02-05-2006, 6:34 AM
Ken, I've got a used set of HF turning chisels. I got them with a used lathe that I've since dismantled, with no plans for it to ever be a lathe again. Dunno if they're the HSS chisels or not, but seeing as how I don't have a lathe and you do, they're yours for the cost of postage. (I'm guessing $4 or $5.) They'd give you a good set to practice on your new grinder, too, since they need work. PM me with your address if you'd like them. :)

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Ken, I'm glad you're thinking about taking the course at Woodcraft. Turning is something that "clicks" a lot quicker when you have someone show you how to do it and then watch over you the first time. It's a very visual medium. You might also check the AAW chapter listing (http://www.woodturner.org) to see if there is one "near" you...most often, you can get some mentoring from chapter members, too.

When you mount your grinder, be sure you have enough space behind it so that the arms of the Wolverine system can be pushed back, both during use as you adjust them and so you can slide them back out of the way when not in use.

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
...Andy you shaved!....Cheers!
Yup. Was a real chore to get the eyebrows right. Have decided that I'll forgo the avatar change for now. Some of those flatlanders just wouldn't understand.

Vaughn - most generous dude.

Ken - contact Vaughn.

Jim - Nearest chapter is 110 miles away in Spokane. Ken's on it.

Ken - Keep your eye on that new Woodcraft store opening next week in Spokane. My guess is that there will be some "unique" pricing available to develop a customer base.

Jim Ketron
02-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats a great Idea getting a class under your belt, it will help a lot!
Get that thing set up and play on it some before you go to the class. I recently taught a bowl turning class at woodcraft and 2 of the students had never turned on a lathe, they done a great job for the first time on a lathe. Turning is one of those things that require practice so just get you a book or two read up on techniques and hop in and get your feet wet.
There are plenty of us here to help you along the way;)