PDA

View Full Version : Computers

W.C. Turner
07-25-2003, 1:12 AM
I'd like to get a hi-speed cable connection, but first, I'll need to get a new computer. My old 1998 dinosaur, with windows 95, just don't cut it.

Where can I find the best prices on the internet for home. desk top, computers?

Thanks,

Glenn Clabo
07-25-2003, 6:09 AM
This house is full of Dell's. Two laptops and a desktop. At work we buy Dell's. Check out dell.com...they have free shipping right now.

Of particular note...I bought a Dell for my 82 year old dad last year. Instead of "bothering" me (his words)... every time he has any kind of a problem he calls them. I was there once...they are were more than patient and very helpful.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-25-2003, 8:18 AM
We have had Compaq, HP, and Dell. By FAR, the Dell is the best. We have a TON of Gateway's at the College where I am employed, and in my humble opinion, they are WAY over rated. The IT department folks agree, they have more problems with them. When asked, our IT support people recommend Dell also. Check them out online, as Glen said, they have good deals, free shipping, and their Tech. Support is fantastic.

Lee Schierer
07-25-2003, 3:12 PM
We bought a few Gateways here at work and have had trouble upgrading them and support consists of "format your hard drive and reload everything". We switched to Dells and had few if any problems, they upgrade easily and support is good if you ever need it. They have lots of good deals. You can also get some really good deals buying one of their refurbished computers directly from Dell.

Mark Hulette
07-25-2003, 5:13 PM
I really hate to say it but...

I'm with these other guys :)

When I was looking to upgrade I also talked to the IT folks at work and asked what which system they'd buy with their $$ and every one of them said Dell. We've had a Dell for several years and couldn't be happier with the entire package.

They have a deal going right now for $499! Not sure what the specs are for the CPU but you can't go wrong with that- I was glad I upgraded monitor size- 15" is way too small for me :(

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Steven Wilson
07-25-2003, 5:35 PM
Although I'm a fan of Dell's, and have owned a number of them over the years, I presently have a couple of new Gateways at home right now. I find the general quality of newer PC's to be very good from most manufactures and powerfull enough that I don't have to upgrade machines like I use to. They've truely become commodity products so it's safe to buy on price and then replace every three years or so. Where I spend my effort is on backups and security.

Brad Schafer
07-25-2003, 9:40 PM
a great deal of what you get depends on how much you want to futz with the machine, and how computer savvy you happen to be.

the bottom line on consumer-grade PCs: there's really not much difference between machines. there are common suppliers for all the base components, and very few quality differences. the big differentiator (esp. for the home market) is service - who helps you the most when you call, and who offers you the best deal?

if you'd rather make sawdust than futz, dell has some awful good deals and pretty darn good support for the home user. bought a dell last Christmas for my parents - it was an excellent online ordering experience.

if, on the other hand, you're computer savvy and like to tinker, you can save a boatload by building your own from components, or perusing the refurb market, where you can get some pretty outrageous deals if you know where to look. (i would not recommend older/refurb HP PCs or older Compaq Presarios; the HPs have really crappy firmware, and the Presarios had some serious cooling issues.)

regardless of what you decide to buy, invest the money NOW in a good virus checker and update subscription.

good luck,

b

Perry Schmidt
07-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Well, I can't add a lot b/c I work for an unnamed computer vendor, but basically Brad is right...they all use the same parts now-a-days. The 4 big venders are all pretty good machines. Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway and IBM all make fine products. Services will be a bigger differentiator than the actual product, and they all have pretty good services.

I also agree w/ Brad - if you are getting a high-speed connection, a good antivirus is required - Norton (aka Symantec) and McaFee both make a very good product. And (IMHO) a hardware firewall/router is mandatory. They do a very good job of protecting your system. (A networking engineer at work has his firewall setup to record hits...he gets 100's of breakin attempts per month on his home computer...) Linksys/Netgear both make a very good product that will work just fine.

Now I COULD go on about what differentiates the 4 venders above, but that would not be approrpiate...I might show favoratism to a particular vendor :)

Now if you want to build your own, or buy a non-brand name PC from parts you pick, check out www.pricewatch.com. It's the 'www.toolseeker.com' for computer parts - searches the internet for the cheapest price on the parts you want. (www.streetprices.com or www.pricescan.com are similar sites, but I think pricewatch.com is by far the most used among my IT friends.)

Hope that helps.

Perry Schmidt

W.C. Turner
07-26-2003, 12:46 AM
I'm not computer savvy, and I don't want to futz with the machine. I'm just wanting a good machine that I can cut down my time on the computer. My current system, takes way too long to download things, for me to look at all that I want to view online. I would hope to cut my time online in 1/2, from what it is currently.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dennis Peacock
07-26-2003, 7:48 AM
I'm not computer savvy, and I don't want to futz with the machine. I'm just wanting a good machine that I can cut down my time on the computer. My current system, takes way too long to download things, for me to look at all that I want to view online. I would hope to cut my time online in 1/2, from what it is currently.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just get a Dell.....I used to swear by Gateway....but nowadays, I just swear AT them.....I have had them all including several home builts. Dell can't be beat on price or quality and service AFTER the sell. I have Dell at home and not a single problem from day one. Shoot, this one has all but ran around the clock since Jan 2000.....unless the power is out of course... :)

Scott Greaves
07-26-2003, 9:39 AM
You've seen all kinds of opinions about which computer to get (I also own a Dell!), but here's a suggestion about shopping for a computer. Go to a web page called Ableshoppers (www.ableshoppers.com). They search out good deals across the Internet each day. Dell is one of their favorite places to keep track of deals. I also found good deals on my cable modem and wireless router there. But beware - it is an addictive place to visit! ;-)

Scott.

Jim Becker
07-26-2003, 10:34 AM
You can get an additional "discount" with Dell (and a lot of other shopping sites) by accessing them through http://ebates.com . I've saved countless dollars on purchases over the past couple of years that way. Ebates sends you a check for the extra discount a few times a year.

BTW, I'm a Dell user, too.

Brad Schafer
07-26-2003, 1:59 PM
Well, I can't add a lot b/c I work for an unnamed computer vendor ...

Now I COULD go on about what differentiates the 4 venders above, but that would not be approrpiate...I might show favoratism to a particular vendor :)

well, i'm not proud. :) i worked for DEC for umpteen years, and the best PCs i ever used had a DEC label on them. i'm personally biased toward Compaq (.NOT. HP) iron - the workstations in particular; even the EVOs are pretty nice.

even so, it's hard to beat a dell. their biz model allows them to sell an equiv machine for cheaper than just about anyone else. and even though i hate their marketing (dude - you're getting busted! :D) it's hard to argue with success.

don't work for any mfgr anymore, so i guess i'm free to be biased.

b (who will buy a new cab saw before another steeking 'puter)

W.C. Turner
07-26-2003, 9:05 PM
You can get an additional "discount" with Dell (and a lot of other shopping sites) by accessing them through http://ebates.com . I've saved countless dollars on purchases over the past couple of years that way. Ebates sends you a check for the extra discount a few times a year.

BTW, I'm a Dell user, too.

Thanks Jim, I always forget about Ebates.

Thanks Scott, I'll take a look at Able.

Brad, What is DEC?

Thanks to all.

Jim Becker
07-26-2003, 9:44 PM
Thanks ...What is DEC?

The company formerly known as "Digital Equipment Corporation"...which no longer exists. Some parts of it are still around in at HP, but "it's not the same..." :D

Brad Schafer
07-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jim, I always forget about Ebates.

Thanks Scott, I'll take a look at Able.

Brad, What is DEC?

Thanks to all.

oops.

Jim got it right - DEC was Digital Equipment Corporation, and HP is most certainly NOT the same.

sorry to throw around acronyms; shoulda known better after the DAMHIKT fiasco.

good luck getting your new iron,

b

Jim Becker
07-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Jim got it right - DEC was Digital Equipment Corporation, and HP is most certainly NOT the same.

I have a number of coworkers who are former DEC folks from "way back"...