PDA

View Full Version : Ali Express, Banggood, TEMU - Palm Router

Bruce Wrenn
12-22-2023, 9:13 AM
I need a palm router for a doweling/ slotting machine that I'm planning on building. Because this is only a project, I don't need an expensive router. Looking on TEMU's site, I see what appears to be the same router at several different colors, and prices. Prices seem almost too good to be true. Any experiences with any of these buying services?

Jim Becker
12-22-2023, 9:53 AM
Get the one from Harbor Freight. Gets reasonably good comments and you can return it easily if it's not to your expectations. Buying from the sources you mention doesn't afford that and you cannot "fondle" it before putting down your money. There have been some rumored security/privacy concerns with at least one of the places you mention, too.

Steven O Smith
12-22-2023, 10:42 AM
Note that you can get the Bosch for $80 currently.

I clicked on a Temu ad once; their cookies are sticky, it took me some extra steps to get rid of them.

Bert McMahan
12-22-2023, 10:59 AM
There are some seriously worrisome articles about Temu. I'd consider trying the other ones, but there are some articles about how Temu keeps their prices so low. The articles online say it's a combination of "use investor money to artificially reduce prices until the competition goes out of business then raise prices" and "we're not willing to sign a pledge saying we don't use slave labor". I'd personally avoid them. Not only that, but I have no confidence that it would even be any good.

Another way to think about it- go check Amazon for the no-brand palm routers and read their reviews (They're not great). The vendors you mentioned are even cheaper than that.

I'd buy one used on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/Mercari/etc or Harbor Freight myself.

Dan Barber
12-22-2023, 11:04 AM
I have not bought any power tools from any of those sources, but I have bought some hand tools from Banggood. This was based on video reviews done by a Youtuber I watch - Dennis from Hookedonwood. I have been satisfied and had no hassles, shipping was fast. All that being said, I'd probably do like Jim said and buy the HF version.

Patrick Varley
12-22-2023, 12:25 PM
I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Banggood and AloiExpress. I've avoided TEMU though. While I'm generally pleased, I avoid buying anything with a motor.

Agree with the HF option. Or you can look at the MLCS Rocky.

Jimmy Harris
12-22-2023, 1:50 PM
Harbor Freight. If for no other reason than if it doesn't work, you can take it back and get one that does. That's a hassle when buying online, especially if you're buying directly from China. And you won't have to wait on shipping. Or if you'd rather not drive to the store, buy it from Amazon, as you'll still have a decent return policy.

That being said, most all of the hand power tools and bench tools, regardless of brand, are made in one of a couple factories. If you look closely, you'll notice the same tool appears under multiple brand names at multiple price points with tiny variations in specs. You'll see options that come and go depending on the brand, but they're mostly all the same bones underneath the different colors of plastic. So I wouldn't worry too much about brand unless you're willing to spend the big bucks for something expensive. In which case, the high dollar items usually are different and made in different factories.

But I own a few power tools from HF, and they've all been pretty decent. Not top notch. But on the same level as the budget, name brand stuff from the big box stores that usually costs a good bit more. Often times, they're even the same item, but in a HF colorscheme.

Richard Coers
12-22-2023, 5:29 PM
Only buy from Banggood if you check they have inventory for sure. I tried buying a laser engraver from them and after 3 weeks telling me the order was in process, I made a claim against them. They didn't have inventory like they said when I ordered it, and the container had not made it to them yet. Despite saying inventory would soon be available. I got my money back. I paid a little extra and got the same thing from Amazon. At least their inventory numbers were correct.

Brian Runau
12-22-2023, 6:33 PM
Temu is a communist government company designed to cut out the middle men, pricing is subsidized by their government to gain market share. China is selling direct since their economy is in the tank. Bought some loose leaf Chinese tea on Amazon that said stock on Amazon site, but was stock in China, noncancellable nonrefundable once order was placed. Brian.

Alex Zeller
12-22-2023, 10:59 PM
I'm a semiprofessional reviewer for Amazon (their Vine program). So I get to see all the new stuff that has no or very few reviews. Most of it is Chinese made stuff. It's very common to see identical items with different brand names made in China. Usually they pop up in batches with different brand names while the price is almost exactly the same. I think a company in China makes a new product and and a number of companies place orders for the product to resell it. Sometimes they may have different color plastic or something. Often they just have a different name on the same decal. They probably all pay the same price per unit.

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2023, 9:15 AM
If you don't have a decent compact trim router already, now is probably the time to get one.
All the Chinese knock offs are probably going to lack both power and a plunge base - the two most important qualities a compact router can have.

If you are attempting to make a mock-up of something, using a component that may introduce problems isn't a good practice.
The brand name compact routers - with the exception of the Colt - Bosch hasn't kept up with the competition - bring a whole lot of useability and power to the plate.

Just something to consider.

Facebook Marketplace and CL are also decent places to find a name brand compact router.

I might be tempted to buy one of the cheap junk routers if I was still rehabbing houses and had a lot of drywall to hang - but - I still have a useable Roto Zip for that. (I forgot all about that thing..where's that thread about cutting 1/8" grooves.....)

Curt Harms
12-23-2023, 9:42 AM
I have Grizzly's trim router, it came with both bases, fixed and plunge which is one reason I bought it. It's variable speed but seems to be short on torque at low RPMs. That doesn't concern me because I cannot envision using a large bit - which is where I want low RPMs - in that router. The MLCS Rocky seems to be the same machine with different colored plastic. They both appear to be knockoffs of Makita's RT0701C 1.25 HP compact router.

Bruce Wrenn
12-23-2023, 5:17 PM
FYI, I own several Bosch Colts, and a hand full of PC-7301's, ( neither of which will work with this idea without a major change in plans,) and a bunch of PC 690's along with several other routers, for a total of 27 routers. I used to build cabinets, and found it quicker to just change routers than to change and reset a new bit for each operation. Have one DeWalt 610 that has never been used except on one jig. Uses a screw on cutter, so when it goes dull, it's an instant change over. Plus accuracy of cuts didn't change. This is only a mock up of an idea, with a limited budget, so I don't want to invest anymore than necessary to see if it works. Because I'm retired (6 years now,) it's just a fun to try project. As an example, couple years back, built the pocket hole machine from ShopNotes. Did I need it, NO, but I wanted to build it. Same goes for router lift and mortising jig from ShopNotes. During working years, just didn't have the time to build these projects, so now I working on my "bucket list,"

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2023, 6:12 PM
Gotcha.

I prefer to get my junk from Temu because they ship everything for free.

Don't forget to add the router lift for $28.43 for the red one - the black lift is more money, $29.69.
I wonder why? :D :D :D