PDA

View Full Version : Type of plastic for furniture washer/gasket.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 12:35 PM
Hello everybody new here, nice to be here!

Well I have a situation my customer has an old swivel kitchen chair that has one chair that has a washer that worn down and now the chair where it connects together under the seat is hitting metal on metal, they're used to be a brown washer in between the seat and the swivel legs.

Anyhow I was just wondering if anybody would suggest a type of plastic to get so I can cut it and install it for her because I cannot find a part for it, someone suggested delrin with this be suitable or do you recommend something else? Thank you very much!

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 12:47 PM
Welcome Andrew,
What are the dimensions of the desired washer. Do you happen to have pictures of the other chairs still functioning washer?

Bill Howatt
12-21-2023, 12:59 PM
Doesn't sound like a very demanding application. Delrin would likely work - it's pretty tough stuff.
I'd just get a plastic cutting board and make a washer from the material as a quick first attempt.

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 1:04 PM
Bill, that could possibly work, but cutting boards are typically HDPE. It may actually be a fine choice over Delrin in this case as the thin plastic cutting boards readily available and pretty inexpensive.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 2:41 PM
2-1/8 round by 1/4" thick. Brown plastic is on the other chairs.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 2:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
Welcome Andrew,
What are the dimensions of the desired washer. Do you happen to have pictures of the other chairs still functioning washer?
Hi Dan thanks for the reply and the other replies!

I'm going back to remeasure it again to make sure but it is going to be about 2 1/8" round and 3/16 of an inch thick. Plastic. Brown plastic bushing is on the other chairs that are still good.

I do have pictures but I am not sure how to post them.

I was thinking of getting the delrin or other material and sandwiching it between two pieces of plywood and then cutting it with a hole saw with maybe some lubricant...

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 3:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
Welcome Andrew,
Hi Dan thanks for the reply and the other replies!

I'm going back to remeasure it again to make sure but it is going to be about 2 1/8" round and 3/16 of an inch thick. Plastic. Brown plastic bushing is on the other chairs that are still good.

I was thinking of getting the delrin or other material and sandwiching it between two pieces of plywood and then cutting it with a hole saw with maybe some lubricant...

No lubricant required, but sandwiching between plywood is a goo option to keep the holes a bit more consistent. Bill's suggestion of a cutting board might just be the ticket. A trip to Walmart might net you a board of suitable thickness. If not, McMaster Carr or Tap Plastics or even Amazon will cary sheets of Delrin or HDPE, either will be fine for your use I think. Another suitable alternative is UHMW.

Jim Koepke
12-21-2023, 3:22 PM
Howdy Andrew and welcome to the Creek.

Above the area where messages are composed are some icons. Starting from the right is one that looks like a cartoon text bubble. That is how copied text is quoted like the words from a previous post of yours.

The third one from the right looks like a picture of a tree (maybe). Click on that and it will allow you to select an image from your computer or a web image storage site to post.

As a non-contributing member I believe you can post images but will not be able to view them.

jtk

Doug Garson
12-21-2023, 4:46 PM
I think the cutting board idea is a good one since they are cheap and readily available without buying a large sheet. I don't know what the minimum size of plastic you can buy from a plastics supplier compared to a plastic cutting board. One question though, you say the existing washer is brown, is the washer highly visible and will a white one made from a cutting board be a visual issue? I'm guessing not because it is so thin but something to consider.

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 4:51 PM
By the way, if it was me, I'd make new washers for all the chairs. If they are old enough for one to fail, others will be failing soon. Not sure what your "Washers" ID hole size is, but I would use a forstner bit for that if you have one. I'm assuming you have a drill press when I recommend this.

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 4:54 PM
I think the cutting board idea is a good one since they are cheap and readily available without buying a large sheet. I don't know what the minimum size of plastic you can buy from a plastics supplier compared to a plastic cutting board. One question though, you say the existing washer is brown, is the washer highly visible and will a white one made from a cutting board be a visual issue? I'm guessing not because it is so thin but something to consider.

Doug, most plastic houses will cut to whatever size you want, no need to buy a full sheet. Sometimes they have "drops" from previous custom cuttings they will sell very reasonably. If the OP has a local plastics wholesaler like Tap or Piedmont it would be worth a phone call (or better yet an in person visit) if the cutting board does not work out.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 4:57 PM

Above the area where messages are composed are some icons. Starting from the right is one that looks like a cartoon text bubble. That is how copied text is quoted like the words from a previous post of yours.

The third one from the right looks like a picture of a tree (maybe). Click on that and it will allow you to select an image from your computer or a web image storage site to post.

As a non-contributing member I believe you can post images but will not be able to view them.

jtk

Thanks for the help 👍 I will check it out!

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 4:59 PM

jtk

I see two bubble signs and the one to the right has a plus next to it..

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 5:01 PM
Hi Doug, no they won't be visible I don't think, but The cutting board idea is something I might try, I didn't get it at first but it finally sunk in LOL...

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 5:03 PM
By the way, if it was me, I'd make new washers for all the chairs. If they are old enough for one to fail, others will be failing soon. Not sure what your "Washers" ID hole size is, but I would use a forstner bit for that if you have one. I'm assuming you have a drill press when I recommend this.

ID is about 1 inch... I picked up some nice bits on sale from Menards that they were discontinuing for a good price I think they're Forstner bits...

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 5:04 PM

No drill press... But friends got one...

Doug Garson
12-21-2023, 5:09 PM
Doug, most plastic houses will cut to whatever size you want, no need to buy a full sheet. Sometimes they have "drops" from previous custom cuttings they will sell very reasonably. If the OP has a local plastics wholesaler like Tap or Piedmont it would be worth a phone call (or better yet an in person visit) if the cutting board does not work out.

True Dan, but they likely have minimums ( don't see them cutting a 3" x 3" corner out of a 4' x 8' sheet) and sometimes cutting charges. The one advantage to buying from a plastics supplier is you can likely get the thickness you need and just deal with cutting the rings. Cutting boards, while easy to cut to the required thickness, are also messy to cut. All in, I'd go the cutting board route and as you suggested replace the washers on all the chairs.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 5:11 PM
This would work?

Mainstays Poly 8.5" x 11" Cutting Board

On Walmarts website..

Dan Barber
12-21-2023, 5:17 PM
Looks like that one is 3/8" thick. Go to the store and look at what they have or go to Amazon and carefully read the description. To be honest 3/16" is a bit of an uncommon thickness for a cutting board. But you might get lucky or find that you can use a different thickness material in you use case.

Doug Garson
12-21-2023, 5:33 PM
Easy, but messy to resaw to required thickness, but the price is right.

Tom M King
12-21-2023, 5:54 PM
How big of a hurry are you in? I have a big chunk of Delrin I could slice some off of.

Andrew Law
12-21-2023, 6:19 PM
How big of a hurry are you in? I have a big chunk of Delrin I could slice some off of.

Thanks for everybody's replies very informative!
Well appreciate the offer but I'm thinking about doing The cutting board thing I think I can find some thinner ones and if I have to stack them, or put a thicker bushing in there?

She has been waiting for a couple weeks but I have been keeping her updated she knows I've been busy and it's a new project for me to find these bushings...

If this other fails maybe I'll take you up on the offer and I appreciate it, where are you located by the way? I'm in a suburb of Chicago..

Tom M King
12-21-2023, 7:06 PM
NC. I could mail it. I also have some oil filled nylon. Both were given to me, so not like it would cost me anything.

Lee Schierer
12-22-2023, 7:43 AM
I see two bubble signs and the one to the right has a plus next to it..

Here is the icon you want to click to post a photo:512388

Just so you know if you make a post and then want to change something in it you can edit your own posts for up to 24 hours after you post it.

Doug Garson
12-22-2023, 12:27 PM
I don't think you can post (or see) pictures or use the message system unless you are a contributor, $6/yr is all it takes.

Andrew Law
12-26-2023, 1:52 PM
Here is the icon you want to click to post a photo:512388

Just so you know if you make a post and then want to change something in it you can edit your own posts for up to 24 hours after you post it.

I don't think I have permission to post a picture yet..

Andrew Law
12-26-2023, 1:54 PM
NC. I could mail it. I also have some oil filled nylon. Both were given to me, so not like it would cost me anything.

Sure no problem, at least I can check them out.. How should I get you my address? Thanks I appreciate it..👍

Tom M King
12-26-2023, 2:29 PM
PM me your address or find my email in my website by clicking on my user name. Let me know exact thickness you want. ID and OD too. I may have the right bits for both. A picture of the mating piece would be good too.

Andrew Law
01-10-2024, 9:25 PM
Hey Tom

Thanks again fort the offer! But I took the idea of the cutting board, and so far so good, so I don't need the material anymore, hope she doesn't call me in 6 months and say it failed though...:)