PDA

View Full Version : The semi accidental Ebay purchase

Cameron Wood
12-20-2023, 11:43 PM
Does this happen to you? You see something of interest with little or no activity, and bid low, not expecting to get it, but you do?

A while back I tossed a bid at some Japanese hand tools- in the states this time, & forgot about it. Now I have an unused plane to add to an already large number, but also a nice hammer and a decent small plane.

Soon will be delivered a 12" portable power plane- kind of a monster that I don't strictly need, but 1/4-1/5 of what they usually go for.

I guess accidental is not the right word. Thoughtless, maybe...

Patty Hann
12-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Does this happen to you? You see something of interest with little or no activity, and bid low, not expecting to get it, but you do?

A while back I tossed a bid at some Japanese hand tools- in the states this time, & forgot about it. Now I have an unused plane to add to an already large number, but also a nice hammer and a decent small plane.

Soon will be delivered a 12" portable power plane- kind of a monster that I don't strictly need, but 1/4-1/5 of what they usually go for.

I guess accidental is not the right word. Thoughtless, maybe...

I never bid (high or low dollar items) except with the possibility I might win.... and have to pay.

Thomas McCurnin
12-21-2023, 11:05 AM
If I'm remotely interested in an item, I'll "watch" it and generally the seller will offer me and others a special deal, sometimes they are really good deals.

Ron Selzer
12-21-2023, 11:28 AM
I quit bidding on items. I check the buy it now box when searching and either buy it then or watch it and see if I still want it days later. Really cut down on how much I buy. Flat out run out of room to put things.
Ron

lou Brava
12-21-2023, 12:55 PM
Yep, & it was a 2008 BMW CA CHP (police motorcycle) with 50K on it That was in 2014 had to fly to LA & ride it home, put about 15K miles on it and sold for more than I paid for it. Moral of the story never ebay after 3 beers !

Warren Lake
12-21-2023, 1:19 PM
auctions used to be live and ive been to a mass of them since the 90's. Whole other way as you could read the crowd then truth was there was plants in the crowd at every auction. Now all is live saves them huge time and money and they also dont have to worry about theft which I had past reported on viewing days a number of times. My brain didnt run as fast as the auction guy talked and I bought a bench once and heard sold and looking around saw he was pointing to me Ulmia 165.00 full sized with a drawer. 3 - 4 hours work to clean it up.
Another machine bid against myself, could not process the auctioneer who sounded like he was on speed. No one else bid they thought i wanted it so badly they all backed off. Both of those were not intentional just could not relate to the rap of auctioneers. No negative to either.

Jimmy Harris
12-21-2023, 1:21 PM
If I'm remotely interested in an item, I'll "watch" it and generally the seller will offer me and others a special deal, sometimes they are really good deals.
Exactly. It's easy to get carried away on eBay. It manipulates your emotions by design.

Bruce Wrenn
12-21-2023, 2:19 PM
Unless it's something I need, like a special fuse for heat pump, I wait a couple days before buying. Usually by then, "buying fever" has subsided. It's not just Ebay, but lusting after an item in general. Recently saw a couple of tools demonstrated on YouTube, and just had to have them, but not so much a week or two later.

Ron Citerone
12-21-2023, 10:18 PM

Never knew that. Good to know!