PDA

View Full Version : Removing beds from 20" planer?

Nick Crivello
12-18-2023, 3:08 PM
I have one of those 20" grizzly planers with the long cast iron beds on a mobile base. The extended beds can be a nuisance when setting the machine aside in a small workspace. Wondering if it's worth removing them to decrease the overall footprint and utilize a melamine sled during use?

Jim Becker
12-18-2023, 7:33 PM
One does what one has to do, but personally, I'd find a way to keep that nice cast iron.

Nick Crivello
12-18-2023, 10:57 PM
One does what one has to do, but personally, I'd find a way to keep that nice cast iron.

Easy enough to remove, may try just to see.

Getting them back on will be fun. :rolleyes:

Jonathan Jung
12-18-2023, 11:02 PM
I've had a melamine sled on my planer for a few years. It's nice. I keep it waxed. The extra length is handy.

Nick Crivello
12-19-2023, 3:06 AM
I've had a melamine sled on my planer for a few years. It's nice. I keep it waxed. The extra length is handy.

What kind of planer do you happen to have? What prompted you to use the sled?

Tom Gensmer
12-19-2023, 8:42 AM
Hi Nick,

Have you considered removing your cast iron table extensions and replacing them with Felder "F" bars or the table extensions from Aigner? The Felder 430-150 would be the appropriate length for a 20" planer, but requires a rather tall cast iron apron. Otherwise, the 01.0.151 is a little longer than you need but it doesn't require such a tall apron. I have the Felder bars on most of my machines and I think they're great, I can just transfer my various table extensions from machine to machine as needed, handy in a relatively small shop..... https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/coupling-systems-sc123945/coupling-system-for-table-extension-f-coupling-sp607650

Jonathan Jung
12-19-2023, 11:44 AM
What kind of planer do you happen to have? What prompted you to use the sled?

A 15" Grizzly 1021X2. Two reasons, it helps when running batches of short parts on my own, because I don't have to catch them right away, the ends of the boards get hooked on the body of hte planer and hang out there. And it keeps the beds nice which is good because I want to sell the planer someday to upgrade. Also I thought it helps with snipe, but not much...hard to tell.

Larry Edgerton
12-20-2023, 7:33 AM
Long beds work like a jointer on thick stock with light undulations. Light passes flipped every time and it saves face jointing. Works on my SCMI until stock gets so thin it will bend. I like the big tables.