PDA

View Full Version : file extension names

Warren Lake
12-17-2023, 11:56 PM
Past ive got too adventurous in detailing file names then go into the folder and more detail and another. Its great as a preview before you open something. Most of the time im fine but copying over have gotten the file extension name too long., Someone here just told me I think 35 characters is maxiumum and im likely well past that on some each time you go in.

If some of the files wont open in Windows 7 cause file extension names are too long will they open in Windows 10 Or linux? Or would those longer names have to been typed up originally in windows 10. I thought someone told me windows 10 has no limit on the file names?

Is there a trick in 7 to open files if the extension name is too long. Have a few scans where its just showing a photo as well

Warren Lake
12-18-2023, 12:20 AM
The wizard of google seems to say you can do this on 10. There is a setting and you use WinRar or some other thing and there is a setting inside that stops file extension at 256 so you defeat that. i also saw a file named Longpath and downloaded that, it came in a zip and I dont get it its different than other programs ive downloaded. It appears that this stuff works for both 10 and 7. Past ive always been told you cant go past whatever it is. It also says besides opening up stuff you can also delete and re name.

So it appears if im understanding there could be two or three ways to do this in 7. One to defeat the limit in the computer section. Is this familiar to any of you computer wizards, I know there are at least several of you here.

And if the file extension thing works will it only work for all the future files or will it work for all that are there already, think its there already but comes to mind

thanks

Earl McLain
12-18-2023, 6:15 AM
The total characters in the file name include the folder name, sub folder name, and any spaces. For example, if you have a folder named "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" and add a pdf file named "chest of drawers", the filename is something like "C:/woodworking projects/bedroom projects/chest of drawers.pdf"--in the neighborhood of 70 characters. Using some abbreviations that still can sense to you, like substituting ww for woodworking, proj for projects, and so on, that file name might be more like "C:/wwproj/brproj/chest-drwrs.pdf" which gets closer to the Win 7 limit.

Changing (shortening) the folder names you are using may enable you to open some of your files now, and may help when you make the switch to Win 10 or 11. Being able to go to 256 character file names sounds like a huge increase, but using full words and multiple layers of folders of organizing--those characters add up in a hurry!! I'm in favor of layering the folders, helps me a lot, but using consistent abbreviations really helps shorten things up.
earl

Warren Lake
12-18-2023, 8:30 AM
thanks ive tried shortening a number as you go in layer and layer and it stinks to loose the info. I have been told what you said by computer guys but based on the net its not accurate as I seem to see maybe three ways one changing a setting in the computer that allows unlimited don't have time right now to be looking but maybe tonight.

Barry McFadden
12-18-2023, 8:57 AM
The total characters in the file name include the folder name, sub folder name, and any spaces. For example, if you have a folder named "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" and add a pdf file named "chest of drawers", the filename is something like "C:/woodworking projects/bedroom projects/chest of drawers.pdf"--in the neighborhood of 70 characters. Using some abbreviations that still can sense to you, like substituting ww for woodworking, proj for projects, and so on, that file name might be more like "C:/wwproj/brproj/chest-drwrs.pdf" which gets closer to the Win 7 limit.

Changing (shortening) the folder names you are using may enable you to open some of your files now, and may help when you make the switch to Win 10 or 11. Being able to go to 256 character file names sounds like a huge increase, but using full words and multiple layers of folders of organizing--those characters add up in a hurry!! I'm in favor of layering the folders, helps me a lot, but using consistent abbreviations really helps shorten things up.
earl

I could be wrong here but I woiuld think the file name is strictly the name and extension.... such as.... diningtable.pdf. When you store it somewhere like C:Folder/folder/folder/folder/diningtable.pdf that is the file location not the file name.

Alan Rutherford
12-18-2023, 9:29 AM
I could be wrong here but I woiuld think the file name is strictly the name and extension.... such as.... diningtable.pdf. When you store it somewhere like C:Folder/folder/folder/folder/diningtable.pdf that is the file location not the file name.

That's correct. And note that the extension is what comes after the "." such as "pdf". It is not the filename plus the path to the file.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it will be a lot more efficient to start by shortening the names of the higher-level folders. Using Earl's example, "woodworking projects" with a sub-folder named "bedroom projects" can become "wp/br/" and then you've saved that many characters for lots of files.

I don't use spaces in file and folder names but you can use capitaliztion to make them easier to read: e.g. "ShellacCut.xls". That can save a few characters. Note that in Windows (at least the last time I was a serious Windows user) capitalization didn't matter to Windows. I.e. "ShellacCut.xls" and "shellaccut.xls" are the same file and you can have only one of them in a folder. In Linux they would be different files and you could have both in the same folder.

Bill Howatt
12-18-2023, 9:45 AM
You are correct, diningtable.pdf is properly called the file name. "pdf" is called the extension although it is now more often referred to as the type. The C:folder... filename.pdf string is referred to as the path and also provides the location.
The default path, including filename, is up to 260 characters but this includes some null characters at the end so the useful length is 255 characters.
My preference is to layer folders but I dislike having a lot of layers - things get too buried for my liking.

Bill Howatt
12-18-2023, 9:48 AM
... Note that in Windows (at least the last time I was a serious Windows user) capitalization didn't matter to Windows. I.e. "ShellacCut.xls" and "shellaccut.xls" are the same file and you can have only one of them in a filder. In Linux they would be different files and you could have both in the same folder.
After fooling with Unix, I give thanks everyday that Windows does not care about capitalization in filenames.

Warren Lake
12-18-2023, 10:33 AM
thanks for all the details. It struck me that even if I trick the computer so i can go in five or six layers I have to copy some of this info and give to someone else so I couild solve it at this end then an issue at the other,. That points to break stuff up more and less lawyers and I agree. Im visual I have a massive folder ive built that fills the screen and has details they are good I can see it all then go in, in the process of going in and going in adding more and more info its been too much so the answer think is to pull oiut the deeper info and just pull it back to the main screen so there are five or six folders in a row all same topic I just want all to fit on the screen so I can visually look at the whole adventure with some details and numbers of all that is helpful

Curt Harms
12-18-2023, 2:31 PM
I don't know about Microsoft file systems but most people in *nix don't have spaces in file names. They'll use an underscore, something like new_file_name. There can be a problem with spaces but I don't know what that problem is.

Warren Lake
12-18-2023, 5:08 PM
driving to the city had a new thought. Say I change internal or use a program and no more restriction on file names or the extensions. What happens when I make a copy and hand it to someone else and it goes into their computer. Id think if not adjusted maybe the files would not open
I can test this at the library on their windows 10 and see I suppose but then I cant copy the folders over anyway as they want to skip the longest named folders. If I rename tiny on every step and can rescue then I can pull it out and make a new folder
One other thought was that in looking on the number it said when you change the feature in the computer then if you have any folders you cant delete as names are too long you will be able to delete them. More to learn, ongoing with these boxes and ive tried to stay simple.

Bill Howatt
12-18-2023, 7:07 PM
I don't know about Microsoft file systems but most people in *nix don't have spaces in file names. They'll use an underscore, something like new_file_name. There can be a problem with spaces but I don't know what that problem is.

Things have changed a lot over the years and things that were forbidden are no legit in filenames. It took me quite a while before I started using spaces and still minimize my use. For what I'll call the typical Windows end-user, spaces are not a problem and if you use an illegal character in creating a filename it will get flagged. Spaces are a problem in file and path names if you are using the Command Prompt or the Powershell commands. If you want to exchange your files with other operating systems then you should probably avoid them and try to stick to more universal naming conventions.

Earl McLain
12-19-2023, 6:24 AM
I'll stand corrected. We had problems at my office with full path lengths when data storage was moved to cloud-based--and what used to work on local stations became very difficult to access, so i adjusted on my home computers as well. Interesting discussion!!

Warren Lake
12-19-2023, 10:57 AM
earl can you explain that to me. Is my thought on track that if I use a program to modify the computer so my folders open my thought and think its on track is I can hand this same folder on a disc to someone else then they will not be able to see all for the ame reason that is t hat their computer is limited size wise
Im best to try and pull the folders apart and can even think of a few good reasons I have master template and can see a whole large adventure on it. Its better some of the info in folders is in the master folder I have to rename all tiny one number and hope I can work my way back its worked in the past in most cases I hate removing the info though but will figure it out and if brought out to the master I can put info back as there will nmot be muliple layers.

Sounds like the cloud is a good thing, I dont trust it. Too old to trust things anymore.

Derek Meyer
12-19-2023, 2:28 PM
If you need to reference file paths with spaces in them via the command prompt, you just enclose the file path in quotes.

Example: "c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16"

Derek

Earl McLain
12-19-2023, 7:58 PM
earl can you explain that to me. Is my thought on track that if I use a program to modify the computer so my folders open my thought and think its on track is I can hand this same folder on a disc to someone else then they will not be able to see all for the ame reason that is t hat their computer is limited size wise My guess is that it would depend on how/what the other person's set-up is

Im best to try and pull the folders apart and can even think of a few good reasons I have master template and can see a whole large adventure on it. Its better some of the info in folders is in the master folder I have to rename all tiny one number and hope I can work my way back its worked in the past in most cases I hate removing the info though but will figure it out and if brought out to the master I can put info back as there will nmot be muliple layers. That sounds reasonable to me--if i'm reading you correctly

Sounds like the cloud is a good thing, I dont trust it. Too old to trust things anymore.

Warren--i think i'm in over my head, but added some thoughts blue italics above. Hopefully Bill or Curt will weigh back in.

I was hesitant on the cloud thing as well, but when my company made that move i became a bit more open for my own stuff. I'm using OneDrive and it really helped in being able to move files from my old iPhone to my new Android phone. Plus...i got 10 years worth of pictures off my phone!!

Warren Lake
12-19-2023, 8:13 PM
thanks im better not to mod the computer to do this. I can make wood stand on its head not computers and past even some computer guys are well out done by others ive choosen wisely to not be one of them. No I dont trust the cloud we need this stuff and some of it is rigged then subject to who knows what.
Ive decided ill break down those folders and bring those folders into the main master what I have done almost occupies the whole screen major numbers and dates and. Its better really to bring them all within site and if I remove some folders that are not priorities here it opens up more space as well I dont want to have to scroll across the screen want to see it in one viewing all of it
So sorry based on my original I have a problem can I solve this the answer is yes and likely five or more ways from programs to some internal in the computer. The logic thought what about others id always been told 10 is unlimited numbers id say that is wrong and it ahs the same setting as 7. You tube showed it can be done but I have to think ahead and simple logic says break them down yourself so not going in so many layers.

Do appreciate all the thoughts some of you know so much about computers and other topics as well. Huge wealth of knowledge here

Bill Howatt
12-19-2023, 8:31 PM
I think that the NTFS file system itself doesn't have limit but they maintained the limit in Windows 10 and probably 11 although you can go into the registry and change the setting.
My general rule is KISS and it is folly to change the standard default settings particularly if you are going to, in this case, use the files elsewhere. Elsewhere also means to use them in 3rd party applications that may be designed to handle file paths based on the standard, not some clever registry fiddle.
IMO, you are better to fix the root problem of too long paths rather than trying to get around it.
The cloud, I use OneDrive, is tremendous if you are accessing files from more than one computer at home and they are also available if you are not at home too. A good password should be used and OneDrive also has a "Vault" folder for more sensitive files that uses 2-factor authentication. I personally locally encrypt any sensitive files on my PC before uploading for extra security. Other cloud services likely have a feature similar to the Vault.

Warren Lake
12-19-2023, 10:45 PM
you are backing up what I said I had planned to make the change in some fashion way home it struck me what ive doesnt work on his computer. The logic when it arrived has the other dynamic of now burried stuff in folders will be in the whole big picture master folder and that has value as its dates and numbers as well, so in this case a problem tht was huge grief will end up better. i copied over a ton of folders or tried to to a memory stuff say a third and important ones wouid not copy over case of the extensions so cant say im happy this happened as I showed up lacking a bunch of info but with a bit of time it will be better than it wouild have been and im all in for improvements

The cloud stuff I dont need or want and my data is in an offline computer. Its a bit more inconvienent to transfer saved stuff on the stick but i put USB inputs under the front of the desk top in front of each computer. Its almost like im organized. have a good set up. One more computer will have to arrive to learn and do video editing but not in a rush then ill ask you guys. The Audacity will work fine for small audio stuff and snipping and cutting but id really like to learn video editing. The windows 10 has some amount ive just not learned it, I did on XP once past and was very impressed how easy it was with no experience in no time had some finished videos and changed file size to be able to send. One friend is a top auto detailer. So I took a clip of him polishing and added some Gino Vanelli music and typed on some info,. as he was polishing I typed on that pad used to be sheep. Then sent it to him and he got a laugh out of it. Was something to watch him polish, he is a human CNC machine. Big tough ex military guy and I told him on a car he is like a ballerina. Maybe not the best analogy for a guy that was a bouncer in a biker bar when he was young. lucky his sense of humour is as big as he is.