PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Flush Trim Plane

Ray Newman
12-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Colleagues: I have a Veritas Flush Trim Plane. Great little plane for cutting off glue.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/32664-veritas-flush-plane?item=05P2001

Problem is removing and reversing the blade. A very strong magnet attaches blade to the base, which I find makes it very difficult to reverse the blade for safe storage and edge protection. Getting at the age when arthritis does not allow the hands to work as well as they did.

Has anyone found an easier way to remove the blade and turn it for storage?

Brian Hale
12-17-2023, 1:33 PM
I clamp the front of the blade in the vise and take the handle off. Can't remember the last time i removed the blade, it lives on my bench and I sharpen it freehand with handle on

Brian :)

Tony Zaffuto
12-17-2023, 1:45 PM
I have a flush trim plane made by Blue Spruce Toolworks. Very handy little tool and always on my bench, also. It’s blade is held on by screws.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2023, 2:15 PM
Has anyone found an easier way to remove the blade and turn it for storage?

If the blade isn't easy to turn into the non-use position, my inclination would be to make a wooden cover for the bevel end for storage. Possible embed a magnet in the wood to hold it in place.

jtk

Ray Newman
12-18-2023, 1:03 PM
Jim K: thanks for the idea about a wood cover. At times, the most obvious solution is the most elusive. Again, thanks.

George Yetka
12-18-2023, 2:13 PM
I bought this and threw it in a drawer 4 years ago(just looked it up) completely forgot about it. Next time its off you can grind a little opening in the side so that you can put a flathead screwdriver in to pop it open

Jim Koepke
12-18-2023, 7:19 PM
Jim K: thanks for the idea about a wood cover. At times, the most obvious solution is the most elusive. Again, thanks.

Glad to help Ray.

jtk