PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Craftsman rachet

Brian Runau
12-14-2023, 1:39 PM
Some of mine are difficult to switch the lever and the mechanism is not smooth. Anyway to troubleshoot this? Thanks brian

Tom M King
12-14-2023, 1:45 PM
Brake cleaner and a drop of oil. If that doesn't do it, it must have been a good one.

Jim Becker
12-14-2023, 2:05 PM
Some of mine are difficult to switch the lever and the mechanism is not smooth. Anyway to troubleshoot this? Thanks brian
Maybe just try and get it exchanged at Lowes (the primary venue for Craftsman tools these days) if they have the so-called lifetime warranty. But what you describe is likely either dirt or simple wear.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2023, 2:05 PM
If what Tom recommends doesn't work, you might take it to your local ACE hardware store. Mine handles craftsman tools and they may honor the warrantee. I don't know if they do but I have a boat load of Craftsman hand tools I used professionally prior to my retirement.

Tom M King
12-14-2023, 3:42 PM
The new ones aren't anything like the old ones even if they look the same. If it won't go back to work, I'd just toss it and replace it with another brand.

Brian Runau
12-14-2023, 4:10 PM
The new ones aren't anything like the old ones even if they look the same. If it won't go back to work, I'd just toss it and replace it with another brand.

It's the sears version worth fixing. Brian

Brian Runau
12-14-2023, 4:11 PM
Brake cleaner and a drop of oil. If that doesn't do it, it must have been a good one.

Thanks I'll try that. Brian

Tom M King
12-14-2023, 4:31 PM
Mine that have been worn out were replaced with Gearwrench and Sunex. Quality is in that order. I have some old Snap On ones that are great, but have other places where setups are kept that don't get used that often but are great when needed, like in my truck. I'm assuming there is no need to spend as much as the tool truck brands, which unless one is making a living with them, the need is just not there. Check the price of Gearwrench and Sunex ratchets on Amazon and if it needs replacing decide how much money you want to spend on either of those.

Brian Runau
12-14-2023, 4:36 PM
Mine that have been worn out were replaced with Gearwrench and Sunex. Quality is in that order. I have some old Snap On ones that are great, but have other places where setups are kept that don't get used that often but are great when needed, like in my truck. I'm assuming there is no need to spend as much as the tool truck brands, which unless one is making a living with them, the need is just not there. Check the price of Gearwrench and Sunex ratchets on Amazon and if it needs replacing decide how much money you want to spend on either of those.

I use some knock er loose, worked like a charm. thanks much. brian

Dick Strauss
12-14-2023, 7:41 PM
The last time I had an issue, you had to exchange them through Sears by calling the toll-free number. Lowes and Ace couldn't help. Sears issued an equivalent credit via email. I think I had to order what I needed online to be delivered to the local store because the stock was so low at any local stores, otherwise the shipping charges would have eaten a good chunk of the credit and not allowed me to replace items.

Bruce Wrenn
12-14-2023, 8:41 PM
Couple years back, I had one replaced under warranty. Called the 800 number, Emailed them a picture with model #, and about a week later new one came by UPS. Unfortunately, the new one isn't the exact same model, as the old one is no longer made. In today's world, the quality of hand tools at HF is as good as most other retailers.

Patty Hann
12-14-2023, 9:27 PM
I had some extra craftsman wrenches (open on one end, box on the other), that were given to me as gifts over the years (beginning around 1976).
I had both metric and standard (my bicycles all took metric, as did my Toyotas)
So cleaning stuff out after retirement... took all the duplicates and listed them of Craigslist, with pics.
All the wrenches showed the Made in USA imprint, most were barely used, some not used at all.
I was got about $15-$20 per wrench (this was in 2018).
People were promising me their first born male child, willing to sell a kidney, etc to get those USofA Craftsman wrenches.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-15-2023, 8:26 AM
Our Ace let me upgrade to the high polish pro version with multiple pawls and fine teeth. I paid the difference. The tool manager tried to chastise me for wanting to turn in a vintage classic. I stared at him blankly and said "But it does not work". He did not toss my vintage classic in the cabinet with the other returned ratchets, he discretely put it in his apron pocket.

Ole Anderson
12-15-2023, 8:59 AM
My Craftsman 3/8" digital torque wrench quit ratcheting. I removed the ratchet part, cleaned and oiled it, works fine now.

Wednesday I ran across a Craftsman Tool Collectors group on Facebook with over 40k members. Someone was looking for a specific 13/16" combination wrench which I happened to have. Apparently there are makers marks on them which is important to the collectors. https://www.facebook.com/groups/314339225358433

Jim Becker
12-15-2023, 9:12 AM
Couple years back, I had one replaced under warranty. Called the 800 number, Emailed them a picture with model #, and about a week later new one came by UPS. Unfortunately, the new one isn't the exact same model, as the old one is no longer made. In today's world, the quality of hand tools at HF is as good as most other retailers.
On that last part, I agree, particularly for the average user. HFt's mid-range Quinn line with lifetime warranty is currently on sale for 20% off and hey have become my go-to as I've been replacing old stuff.

Tom M King
12-15-2023, 9:31 AM
While the old Craftsman ratchets did indeed work reliably for decades, even the newer cheaper lines that I linked to earlier work nicer. I even like the cheaper Sunex wrenches better than I do the old USA made craftsman wrenches.

George Yetka
12-15-2023, 11:12 AM
If you have no luck in repairing, Harbor Freights new ICON series are some very nice ratchets. I have a few snap-ons in the garage but go to my Icons just as often

Brian Elfert
12-15-2023, 11:37 AM
The old Craftsman ratchets are so coarse that I gave up on mine. I replaced my 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets with made in the USA fine tooth models from SK. I have two of the old 3/8" ratchets and the selector broke on one within the past year. I haven't even bothered to try to get a replacement although it doesn't hurt to have an extra ratchet as a spare.

You may be able to find Craftsman ratchet rebuild kits on Ebay, but they might not be cheap due to supply and demand. I don't know that any warranty rebuild kits are still available. All of the Sears stores used to have them and if you got lucky they would put one in while you waited. Otherwise, they would have a stack of already rebuilt ratchets and hand you a rebuilt one and some kid in the back room would rebuild yours for the next exchange.

Curt Harms
12-15-2023, 11:41 AM
If what Tom recommends doesn't work, you might take it to your local ACE hardware store. Mine handles craftsman tools and they may honor the warrantee. I don't know if they do but I have a boat load of Craftsman hand tools I used professionally prior to my retirement.

Our local Ace has a sign saying "sorry we don't honor lifetime warranties on Craftsman hand tools"

Rick Potter
12-15-2023, 12:31 PM
I remember years ago ordering a set of SAE and Metric combo wrenches from the mail order Christmas sale catalog, for my new pickup. When it arrived, I was very unhappy because they looked like my old ones, but were marked 'Made in Japan'.

I also remember following the Sears mailers every week for tool sales for over a year amassing a complete hand tool set, all on sale, to give to my son on his 13th birthday. He still has most of them at age 52. The hardest part was engraving his initials on hundreds of tools and sockets with one of those little vibrating engravers.

Brian Elfert
12-15-2023, 12:32 PM
Our local Ace has a sign saying "sorry we don't honor lifetime warranties on Craftsman hand tools"

Now that Sears stores are basically gone they probably don't want a constant stream of people trying to exchange the hundreds millions of Craftsman tools out in the wild. I doubt Stanley pays anything for exchanging a tool under warranty other than shipping a replacement tool to them.

Pat Germain
12-15-2023, 1:22 PM
Now that Sears stores are basically gone they probably don't want a constant stream of people trying to exchange the hundreds millions of Craftsman tools out in the wild. I doubt Stanley pays anything for exchanging a tool under warranty other than shipping a replacement tool to them.

Exactamundo.

Sears as we knew it is gone.

Craftsman tools as we knew them are gone. Sears sold the Craftsman name to Stanley who quickly stuck the Craftsman name onto low quality tools from China. Stanley built a factory in Fort Worth where they planned to Reshore Craftsman tools. As is typical, there were delays and quality issues. Last Spring they shut is all down.

If you have older Craftsman tools, hang onto them and repair them whenever possible. These days exchanging them is difficult, if not impossible. If you can exchange it, most likely you'll get an inferior product made in China.

As mentioned, there are many other options for hand tools with a lifetime warranty. Harbor Freight has a lot of good hand tools warranted for life. I personally like the Husky tools from Home Despot; lots of variety and I can exchange any of them at any Home Despot. Kobalt tools from Lowes are OK, but I haven't seen the variety.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2023, 3:14 PM
He did not toss my vintage classic in the cabinet with the other returned ratchets, he discretely put it in his apron pocket.

I had a Snap-On 1/4" ratchet from ~1940s. The ratchet would slip at times. The guy with the Snap-On truck that serviced the shop I worked in said the replacement ratchet was no longer available and wouldn't do anything. At one time there was a Snap-On store locally but they had closed down. So one time when the whole fam damily was going to a state fair up in Sacramento, I brought the ratchet with me and made a quick stop at the Snap-On warehouse. The guy was a little hesitant at first, but finally decided to exchange the whole tool. When he did, he held up the old one and said, "but I'm going to keep this one." Fine by me, it was a knuckle buster at times. Later I got the feeling he may of wanted it for his own collection.

One thing I did learn on that trip is some Snap-On tools have a "G" at the start of the tool number. That signifies they were sold on a government contract and not subject to their replacement policy.

jtk

Lee Schierer
12-15-2023, 6:36 PM
My "Made in USA" Craftsman ratchets have a snap ring that is accessible on the under side of the handle near the ratchet that allows you to remove the ratchet parts for cleaning and lubrication.

Bill Dufour
12-16-2023, 10:07 AM
It is questionable that someone bought the rights to the craftsman name and was not stuck honoring the warrantees. They paid good money for the "goodwill" and name recognition.
Bill D

Jim Becker
12-16-2023, 10:14 AM
It is questionable that someone bought the rights to the craftsman name and was not stuck honoring the warrantees. They paid good money for the "goodwill" and name recognition.
Bill D
Happens all the time...

Tom M King
12-16-2023, 11:30 AM
A few decades ago Craftsman ratchets and wrenches were considered plenty good enough, and some pro mechanics even used them. A big part of that was the lifetime guarantee.

These days, even the cheaper ones have finer ratchets, easier to clean surfaces, and are more comfortable to handle, including wrenches, so I think any advantage that these hand tools used to have no longer exists. I stopped buying them long ago.

Rick Potter
12-16-2023, 3:06 PM
Never understood the appeal of those polished ratchets. They just slip out of my cold oily hands.

Chris Parks
12-16-2023, 6:04 PM
Never understood the appeal of those polished ratchets. They just slip out of my cold oily hands.

I must agree, I have the lucky choice of using either SnapOn or Stahlwille tools and I always prefer the Stahlwille for the same reason.

Patty Hann
12-16-2023, 9:57 PM
A few decades ago Craftsman ratchets and wrenches were considered plenty good enough, and some pro mechanics even used them. A big part of that was the lifetime guarantee.

These days, even the cheaper ones have finer ratchets, easier to clean surfaces, and are more comfortable to handle, including wrenches, so I think any advantage that these hand tools used to have no longer exists. I stopped buying them long ago.
The folks that were fighting over my 1970s and 80s Craftsman said the liked the beefier construction especially in the "grip" (middle) part.
They said the newer stuff is so thin that it cuts into their hands...not literally, of course, but that it digs into their hands when they have to really crank on a wrench.
And the older ones are not shiny smooth at all (except on the "label" part and the open end or box end )... they are kind of rough textured.

Mel Fulks
12-16-2023, 10:16 PM
They were fine , til they hired nurse Rachet.

Pat Germain
12-16-2023, 11:43 PM
It is questionable that someone bought the rights to the craftsman name and was not stuck honoring the warrantees. They paid good money for the "goodwill" and name recognition..

Well before selling off the Craftsman name the CEO had already flown the entire Sears brand into the ground. He literally cashed in on the name and the property where the stores rested. Sold it all off piece by piece until there was nothing left. Oh, and of course he simply complained the whole time about how hard it was for traditional brick and mortar stores to compete with online retailers. All the scandals from the Sears Auto Center didn't help, but it was typical greed and ineptidude which sank the good ship Sears.

Stanley had no intention of goodwill or honoring warranties. They also simply cashed in and moved on.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Sears and Montgomery Wards failed near the same time. Just as internet shopping was starting. Interesting that they both shut down their mailorder business and did not try to sell that portion off to Amazon or whoever. Their mailing list would have been worth something to someone.
The Chicago post office, used by sears and wards, was the largest in the world with a highway running through the basement and train tracks as well for shipping out mailorder goods.
Bill D.

mike stenson
12-17-2023, 12:04 PM
Wards was gone in 2001.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2023, 2:33 PM

An old mechanic friend of mine showed me how a person can work on automobiles without getting dirt and oil all over oneself. It changed my ways of working. Sometimes, like when changing oil I just let it get on my hands, sometimes I don't.

In a slightly related profession, I worked in a few silkscreen print shops. Silkscreen printers tend to have colorful clothes and stained hands and arms from getting ink everywhere. One of my jobs was in a circuit board shop. One of the silk screeners never got the ink on his hands or cloths. He talked of one place he worked about interviewing for the job. The person from the shop said he couldn't have been a silkscreen printer because he was too clean. Fortunately he had worked with a few other printers in the shop who could vouch for him woking without getting ink everywhere.

There was one time when my shirt was covered in stop sign ink, a guy faking a heart attack, the first police officer on the scene and what he was thinking when he saw the guy down and me with a bright red blotch on the front of my shirt…

The sign shop was across the highway from the horse track. The faker was a regular loser at the track.

jtk

Chris Parks
12-17-2023, 4:44 PM
I have a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet which I bought many years before the internet and the only way I could get it was when a mate of mine went to the US for work. I can recall he brought back a catalogue which I spent hours looking at as there was no practical way for ordering from outside the US, I did not even have a credit card then! The irony is that not many years after buying it I stopped using 1/2" sockets and converted to 3/8" so it has not done a lot of work at all and sits unloved in my roll cab.

Brian Elfert
12-17-2023, 7:57 PM

Stanley is honoring the same Craftsman guarantee on any Craftsman tool ever produced. It is just harder to find a retailer to do the swap. Stanley has a special phone number for the warranty exchanges, but I don't know what it is.

Patty Hann
12-18-2023, 4:36 AM
Stanley is honoring the same Craftsman guarantee on any Craftsman tool ever produced. It is just harder to find a retailer to do the swap. Stanley has a special phone number for the warranty exchanges, but I don't know what it is.
https://www.craftsman.com/pages/warranty Phone number (toll free) is listed

Curt Harms
12-18-2023, 2:44 PM

That's a pleasant surprise. You're going to be without a tool for a while til you get the replacement but still more than I would have expected.

Curt Harms
12-18-2023, 2:48 PM
Well before selling off the Craftsman name the CEO had already flown the entire Sears brand into the ground. He literally cashed in on the name and the property where the stores rested. Sold it all off piece by piece until there was nothing left. Oh, and of course he simply complained the whole time about how hard it was for traditional brick and mortar stores to compete with online retailers. All the scandals from the Sears Auto Center didn't help, but it was typical greed and ineptidude which sank the good ship Sears.

Stanley had no intention of goodwill or honoring warranties. They also simply cashed in and moved on.

Guy's name was Eddy Lampert. I read that he bought Sears for the real estate holdings, he had no desire to run a retail operation. I wonder if he expected mall properties to lose value like they have.

Brian Elfert
12-18-2023, 4:37 PM
https://www.craftsman.com/pages/warranty Phone number (toll free) is listed

I was just too lazy to look it up.

Jim Becker
12-18-2023, 7:15 PM
Guy's name was Eddy Lampert. I read that he bought Sears for the real estate holdings, he had no desire to run a retail operation. I wonder if he expected mall properties to lose value like they have.
AFAIK, he's still in charge. And just opened two Sears stores back up on the left coast.